Glory of the past - 92/93

Danny

With less than a week to go before the first European final this club has graced in 36 years takes place, I have found myself considering the incredible run in 92/93 which saw us literally one game away from the final of the CL.

First we were given zero hope in the final qualifying round against English champions Leeds Utd, and when McCallister scored with that astounding volley directly from the corner it seemed like humiliation was waiting.

Cue a fightback and superb performance to secure a 2-1 victory which Leeds had to overturn at Elland Road.

When Hateley's stunning 22 yard drive beat Lukic in the opening exchanges, 3-1 appeared to have the game up before McCoist headed #4. Cantona's late consolation was only that.

The run in the CL was breathtaking. No games lost and a little bit of luck along the way. And then it came down to the final game - if Marseille could win by a set number of goals they'd go to the final, but if not, and we could overcome CSKA, we were in the biggest club match on earth.

Sadly neither happened and we crashed out with the players in tears at the final whistle, none more so than McCoist who like the rest had put absolutely everything into the run.

Stunning run - one match off the CL final. Whether it was as big as Barca 72 or Wednesday is open to debate, but it was incredible and I doubt any of us will ever forget it.

I came late to Rangers.. 2000 onward.

shit like this i love reading. Thanks Danny

I have done so much personal research on Coisty, Gazza, Barry and Amo I consider myself knowledgable of their eras. But the matches, step by step shot by shot memories that some of you have I love reading about. I'm like that with the Red Sox. I will be like that with the Rangers.

WATP

:rangers:

The home game against CSKA was just so frustrating, especially after we had gone to Marseilles and got that draw with Durrant's superb goal.

I remember being so disappointed at the time (I was 8/9 in '92/93) but as the years passed and we floundered in Europe with sometimes humiliating results, I looked back with fond memories and pride on that campaign.

The great thing was that after we knocked Leeds out, ITV's coverage was centered on us with the whole of Britain watching (but not necessarily supporting). Brian Moore was a great commentator.

Both the comebacks against Marseilles were fantastic.

That Gary McSwegan goal will live long in the memory! His first game in Europe and indeed, his first touch of the match. Then the Hateley equaliser.

I'd love to see some highlights of that. I have it on video somewhere but no idea where!

I remember that season well Danny and in my lifetime, born 79, it is the greatest Gers team I have ever seen.

Skol Cup final victory at Hampden over the sheep (last final of the terraces, I got squashed lol)

The Leeds Goals

McSwegan Goal

The Durrant Goal

The Nisbet Goal

Beating the sheep to the league

Beating the sheep at parkhead in the Scottish Cup Final.

That McCoist-Hateley partnership

Notice there is no mentions of the tims (celts for change ring a bell lol)

Only lows were just not making it to the CL final and McCoist braking his leg near the end of the season.

Legends!

Hi Danny

Remember that season very well. I was at he CSKA game where we had to win. We done everything but score that night. There keeper was outstanding ( unlike the one they used against Marseille)

In the end it turns out the French F@ckers had cheated which makes it that bit more painful.

With less than a week to go before the first European final this club has graced in 36 years takes place, I have found myself considering the incredible run in 92/93 which saw us literally one game away from the final of the CL.

First we were given zero hope in the final qualifying round against English champions Leeds Utd, and when McCallister scored with that astounding volley directly from the corner it seemed like humiliation was waiting.

Cue a fightback and superb performance to secure a 2-1 victory which Leeds had to overturn at Elland Road.

When Hateley's stunning 22 yard drive beat Lukic in the opening exchanges, 3-1 appeared to have the game up before McCoist headed #4. Cantona's late consolation was only that.

The run in the CL was breathtaking. No games lost and a little bit of luck along the way. And then it came down to the final game - if Marseille could win by a set number of goals they'd go to the final, but if not, and we could overcome CSKA, we were in the biggest club match on earth.

Sadly neither happened and we crashed out with the players in tears at the final whistle, none more so than McCoist who like the rest had put absolutely everything into the run.

Stunning run - one match off the CL final. Whether it was as big as Barca 72 or Wednesday is open to debate, but it was incredible and I doubt any of us will ever forget it.

Ah, the memories! Was at both the Leeds games matey, awesome awesome stuff. We should have been there. From memory, our campaign wasnt helped by a debatable Hateley sending off against Brugges?

exactly miko we werent beaten we were cheated that year. bernard tappe was found guilty of bribes (chairman) and marseille banned from europe if I remember correctly

I think it came out 6 or 7 years later and they were banned for a couple of years. I think they got relegated from the French top flight aswell if I remember correctly. It wasnt just CSKA they bribed. They bribed the other team too. Was it Sofia? The team that Nisbet scored that 'beauty' against.

Hi Danny

Remember that season very well. I was at he CSKA game where we had to win. We done everything but score that night. There keeper was outstanding ( unlike the one they used against Marseille)

In the end it turns out the French F@ckers had cheated which makes it that bit more painful.

It was Plotnikov in both games if I remember correctly.

I was fully confident we'd hump CSKA by a significant margin after they lost 8-1 away to Marseille, of course we didn't know there had been a few rubles changing hands at that point.

The CL final was shite as well, we could have pumped either of them on the night.

ROBBED!

exactly miko we werent beaten we were cheated that year. bernard tappe was found guilty of bribes (chairman) and marseille banned from europe if I remember correctly

I think it came out 6 or 7 years later and they were banned for a couple of years. I think they got relegated from the French top flight aswell if I remember correctly. It wasnt just CSKA they bribed. They bribed the other team too. Was it Sofia? The team that Nisbet scored that 'beauty' against.

Nisbet scored against brugges.

"Oh my word, it's a goal. It's the break and the stroke of luck that rangers needed. It might be the biggest fluke in europe this season but who cares!? Rangers...are back in front".

Watched that goal on video so many times the commentary is etched in my mind!

It wasn't as long as that coming out, maybe a year or so. They were sent down to division two in France and weren't allowed to buy any players for two years. They sold us Basile Boli at this point, then signed Tony Cant-Score-Ino on a free transfer :lol:

Nesbitt's goal was a peach :lol:

Still got my 5-In-A-Row video, watch it a lot. I was only 8 when we done that and I really wasn't that into football then.

How the f**k we didn't beat CSKA is still beyond me though, had enough chances to win four games :(

sure they got found guilty of bribing refs as well, Suppling call girls etc??

Still got my 5-In-A-Row video, watch it a lot. I was only 8 when we done that and I really wasn't that into football then.

How the f**k we didn't beat CSKA is still beyond me though, had enough chances to win four games :(

Smooth pitch:

Disclaimer: My commentary is from the 5-in-a-row vid - english commentators!

Smooth pitch:

Aye, they are far better.

It was the creme de la creme of commentary in some games on the 5-In-A-Row video, in Sky's very own Martin Tyler I think! So much better than Archie.

Smooth pitch:

Aye, they are far better.

It was the creme de la creme of commentary in some games on the 5-In-A-Row video, in Sky's very own Martin Tyler I think! So much better than Archie.

He's still got it!

Nisbet scored against brugges.

"Oh my word, it's a goal. It's the break and the stroke of luck that rangers needed. It might be the biggest fluke in europe this season but who cares!? Rangers...are back in front".

Watched that goal on video so many times the commentary is etched in my mind!

Yeah, Ferguson scored against CSKA, and far as I know Sofia weren't involved in Milan's group in that inaugural season.

It was a great, great run, filled with memorable goals. The one I always loved the best was Durranty's shot v. Marseille and his delight at sinking it - what a cracker of a goal. Also a great strike v. FC Brugge on a wretched sloppy pitch.

It was a great, great run, filled with memorable goals. The one I always loved the best was Durranty's shot v. Marseille and his delight at sinking it - what a cracker of a goal. Also a great strike v. FC Brugge on a wretched sloppy pitch.

tbh I loved the sheer GIRUY of Hateley's.

There was McCallister producing a wonder volley in the first game to totally silence Ibrox.

Then Hateley pops up with an even better cracker to shut up the English :)

tbh I loved the sheer GIRUY of Hateley's.

There was McCallister producing a wonder volley in the first game to totally silence Ibrox.

Then Hateley pops up with an even better cracker to shut up the English :)

Hately's was an amazing goal, and in truth probably was THE goal of the tournament for us (either that or Nissy's!:-). I was just so delighted for wee Durranty, though, as he was one of my very favourite players at Gers at the time and had been through so much adversity thanks to that ****** Simpson.