First team youngsters

Against Motherwell on Wednesday, all of Jordan McMillan, Paul Emslie and Steven Lennon were included as subs, just like they've been on numerous of other occasions. I've always liked seeing youngsters thrown into a bit of first-team action, but in the tight run-in Walter's preferred to use the more experienced pros available on the bench, and it's hard to blame him for that.

I guess there's a good few of you who frequent this board who also follow on a regular basis the performances of the reserves and youths - just how good are these lads, and would they be able to hold their own in the SPL or even in Europe? Not that it's likely we'll see them at international level in the Light Blues jersey this season, but next maybe?

What other promising youngsters are there? I obviously know about John Fleck, but it's not highly likely we'll be seeing him in action for the first team already next season, is it?

I think we probably have at least 5 reserve players who could play in the first team for most of the SPL. I would love to know what Walter's thoughts are for these guys. If the bench is anything to go by we should be seeing Fleck,Emslie and Furman getting games next season. If not, then the great Academy at Murray Park must be being used as a money market to sell them on at a profit. I really would like to hear someone from the club make a statement on what the intentions are for the Academy.Surely its better to use the quality we are producing rather than pay exhorbitant transfer fees and ridiculous wages when we have good Rangers talent festering on the bench.

I think we probably have at least 5 reserve players who could play in the first team for most of the SPL. I would love to know what Walter's thoughts are for these guys. If the bench is anything to go by we should be seeing Fleck,Emslie and Furman getting games next season. If not, then the great Academy at Murray Park must be being used as a money market to sell them on at a profit. I really would like to hear someone from the club make a statement on what the intentions are for the Academy.Surely its better to use the quality we are producing rather than pay exhorbitant transfer fees and ridiculous wages when we have good Rangers talent festering on the bench.

To put it simply; youngsters will only command profitable transfer fees if they have proven successful first team experience, otherwise token fees or free transfer will be the result, possibly with the exception of Fleck who has a reputation than can be cashed in, but I would doubt that it would be for anywhere near as much as some imagine.

Guest therabbitt

Sadly those youngsters only find themselves on the bench due to the insane SPL rules on the number of under 21s to be included in the matchday squad. It really harms our squad strength in the league if you ask me.

Lennon has a bit about him. But is he a better player than Gow who can't get a look in? Don't think McMillan will make it with us - he doesn't have a set position for one thing (has played at centre-back but isn't very big). There are a few others who look good at the lower levels - e.g. Shinnie, Furman, Efrem - but none is genuinely ready for the first team (Shinnie has made a sub appearance). Reckon we'll see a few of these in pre-season friendlies with a view to bringing them more into the first-team picture.

Furman has stood out for me in the reserves (Captain),just saw him on Rangers TV tho. He's quick,skillfull,composed and a good passer of the ball.....reminds me of a young Fergie!! Furman,Fergie and Davis playin together in a central 3 would be class!!! Leave change till next year!!

Like the look of Lennon (pacy left sided midfielder/winger/forward....unsure of position myself yet !!). Better than Charlie Adam tho IMO...wouldn't be hard!!!

Rory Loy up front is quite tall,fast and tricky, and knows where the goal is!!!

Efrem is pretty skillfull too up front, but hav'nt seen him score that often!!!

Not seen Fleck play much in reserves.Seen him playin for Scotland and he stood out like a sore thumb....Roony type player. Too soon yet IMO

What about Bagci ? Has anyone seen him play? Top scorer this year for u'19s.

Is that the young boy that plays for Turkey but was brought up in sweden...or summit stupid like that!!!

Think i saw him playin once, looked skillfull n quick if i remember right. But i only see the occasional reserve game on TV, so cant really comment that much.

Maybe someone who goes to the reserve games or has seen him more regularly than me on TV can comment more!!!

these boys are on the bench each week with absolutely no chance of getting on

when was the last time they left the dugout during a game to warm up

not this season

Correct - just window dressing!

Sadly those youngsters only find themselves on the bench due to the insane SPL rules on the number of under 21s to be included in the matchday squad. It really harms our squad strength in the league if you ask me.

Ah, I had forgotten such a rule exists. I am not sure whether it's a bad thing or not, though; for these youngsters, even though, as some say, they have absolutely no chance of getting a game whatsoever, it should make them feel good just to be part of the first-team set-up. Walter may only use three subs anyway, so...but then again some will point to the fact that it could come in handy to have more seasoned pros on the bench, as to give the management team more opportunities when making a second or third substitution during games.