Racial abuse?

Thousands of protestant Gaelic- speaking Scots were affected by the famine as well. The Potato Famine didn't just affect Ireland- it affected the islands, too. Thousands were forced to relocate to Glasgow and Edinburgh in search of a new way of life: many of their ancestors would probably be modern-day Rangers fans, if you follow simple logic and equate protestantism with Rangers.

Do we want them to go home as well?

We are home. Its all the UK.

I meant geographically, not politically?

Do we want them to go back to the islands?

But its still part of the UK. What do you mean "them" ? We are the same people.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thousands of protestant Gaelic- speaking Scots were affected by the famine as well. The Potato Famine didn't just affect Ireland- it affected the islands, too. Thousands were forced to relocate to Glasgow and Edinburgh in search of a new way of life: many of their ancestors would probably be modern-day Rangers fans, if you follow simple logic and equate protestantism with Rangers.

Why do you try to shift the focus to the bigger arena? These chants are aimed at the tims and their tim wannabes like hunt who deride OUR nation.

I'm pretty sure the gaelic speaking immigrants have welded their allegiances firmly to whichever side of the great divide they feel they belong to.

Don't try to deflect/deny, it makes you look conspicuous. :unionflag:

It's just a rhetorical question.

Personally speaking, I think if we came out and sang a song about Polish immigrants saying, "the economic crisis in your country is over...why don't you go home", we'd be lambasted and pillored for it, from all quarters. If you can't see that the continual abuse of all things Oirish is damaging our club, then you're pretty much blinkered. Maybe it's time to bite the bullet, and go one step further than just buying plain old Catholics and buy an Irish one? I mean, a good one, with quality, like Damien Duff or Robbie Keane (if they were willing to do it)- wouldn't that send out the right messages? Believe me, I am not taking the piss here- I like to think of myself as someone with vision.

Now, it (the song) wouldn't have been such a big deal ten years ago, and to be honest, most Celtic supporters I'd imagine wouldn't give a toss and would take it for what it is. A football song. But times have changed, and there are many PC types out there ready to expose the slightest hint of bigotry or racial intolerance- call it what you want- sung by our fans, and is it really doing our reputation any good?

I'd imagine not. There's a UEFA Cup Final next week and the whole world will be watching. Maybe you don't give a toss about how we project ourselves to the world, but I certainly do.

Got to love them.

Our racist rights are being violated man

While at the same time they are playing this song over the tannoy

This land is your land, this land is my land

From the northern highlands to the western islands

From the hills of Kerry to the streets of (Free) Derry

This land was made for you and me

If you love it that much, why don't you go home?

Why do you try to shift the focus to the bigger arena? These chants are aimed at the tims and their tim wannabes like hunt who deride OUR nation.

I'm pretty sure the gaelic speaking immigrants have welded their allegiances firmly to whichever side of the great divide they feel they belong to.

Personally speaking, I think if we came out and sang a song about Polish immigrants saying, "the economic crisis in your country is over...why don't you go home", we'd be lambasted and pillored for it, from all quarters. If you can't see that the continual abuse of all things Oirish is damaging our club, then you're pretty much blinkered. Maybe it's time to bite the bullet, and go one step further than just buying plain old Catholics and buy an Irish one? I mean, a good one, with quality, like Damien Duff or Robbie Keane (if they were willing to do it)- wouldn't that send out the right messages? Believe me, I am not taking the piss here- I like to think of myself as someone with vision.

Now, it (the song) wouldn't have been such a big deal ten years ago, and to be honest, most Celtic supporters I'd imagine wouldn't give a toss and would take it for what it is. A football song. But times have changed, and there are many PC types out there ready to expose the slightest hint of bigotry or racial intolerance- call it what you want- sung by our fans, and is it really doing our reputation any good?

I'd imagine not. There's a UEFA Cup Final next week and the whole world will be watching. Maybe you don't give a toss about how we project ourselves to the world, but I certainly do.

id like to think of you as someone with a crucifix that an admin guy might see and get you back to kerrydale street where you belong

Got to love them.

Our racist rights are being violated man

While at the same time they are playing this song over the tannoy

This land is your land, this land is my land

From the northern highlands to the western islands

From the hills of Kerry to the streets of (Free) Derry

This land was made for you and me

If you love it that much, why don't you go home?

Well, put it that way, and it's fair comment.

You are going to extraordinary lengths to find offense here.

They clearly percieve themselves as Oirish.

So it's a honest question 'why don't you go home?'

id like to think of you as someone with a crucifix that an admin guy might see and get you back to kerrydale street where you belong

Ahh, so I'm a Tim, because I don't toe the line? I happen to think songs like this may damage our reputation, and make a strong case for it being thus, and I'm a Timothy?

Ahh, so I'm a Tim, because I don't toe the line? I happen to think songs like this may damage our reputation, and make a strong case for it being thus, and I'm a Timothy?

Either way, you're paranoid

Which rival club and fans in Scotland with a Polish identity deride all things British and sing "soldiers are we, whose lives are pledged to Poland" and "rebel against the crown"?

You may, as you say, have vision. But if you honestly believe that high profile Irish catholic footballers would play at Rangers then you're vision may well be, well, a little blurred.

It simply wouldn't be worth it to them even if they wanted to.

I read a post somewhere about a prod who played Gaelic football i think and suffered horrible sectarian abuse.

I think you may have fallen for the diddly-dee-craic horseshit that the Irish propaganda machine has churned out so successfully over the years.

if you aint then you shall get my apology but you have some work to do im not the only person hear thinking it but come weds when the most successful team in world football wins the uefa cup you could be the pope and we would welcome you on the site with open arms

Fair do's. I suppose it's up to the individual to choose what or what not to sing.

After all, it's a free country- or at least it used to be.

I can't imagine UEFA suddenly being suddenly overcome with deafness, though.

I think the other posters may have misconstrued my point (after all my identity has been called into question)- my point is, it's not really about whether I find it offensive (I don't), or whether Catholics/Celtic fans/Irish find it offensive (don't care)- it's about the harm it could do to Rangers because of who does find it offensive.

We're in a European final for the first time since '72, and I really think we shouldn't be sullying the occasion by singing derogatory songs about the potato famine.

Is that not a fair comment, or will I be accused of being a Timothy again?

Fair do's. I suppose it's up to the individual to choose what or what not to sing.

I think the other posters may have misconstrued my point (after all my identity has been called into question)- my point is, it's not really about whether I find it offensive (I don't), or whether Catholics/Celtic fans/Irish find it offensive (don't care)- it's about the harm it could do to Rangers because of who does find it offensive.

We're in a European final for the first time since '72, and I really think we shouldn't be sullying the occasion by singing derogatory songs about the potato famine.

They may be more concerned about the potential for racist Zenit fans abusing Darcheville than sarcastic ballads.

I actually hope that it isn't sung there.

Our moment has fuck all to do with they snakes

I think to be honest, whatever songs are sung will somehow be descended upon by the MOPE's, UEFA or the mhedia.

I think they just want us to sing "boo boo those jolly bad boys from celtic" or something as sterile or infantile, they have an agenda and will not waiver from it. The system of being a perpetual vicTim has worked miracles for them so far - why should they change the format?

whats derogitory about singing that they now have loads of king edwards in dublin and they need an influx of people to help the locals eat them

you are telling someone to go home because of his nationality, altho in closer context you are actually telling someone to go home because they claim nationality of a country other than the one in which they are domiciled.

So as a proud Scot living in Australia I shouldn't be offended if someone tells me to f off back to Scotland? Maybe they could do it by singing: "The clearances are over why don't you go home."

You're trying very hard to distort reality and portray this as somehow negative, thus strongly suggesting you are indeed timmy. Are you unaware it's a response to the line "rebelled against the famine and the crown" in the Feel of Arthur's Thighs? How come it's ok for them to sign abusively about our monarch and spiritual leader in relation to the famine, whilst you have an issue with saying "if you're not happy here, why don't you return to your supposedly beloved homeland with which you are obsessed?"

You support Rangers for over thirty years but you dare challenge anti-Irish racism and you get called a Tim. As I said incredible.

Given that a lot of countries rebelled against the UK crown you must get really offended by national anthems like the US one, which is about an US battle against British forces. Or is it juts Irish ones that annoy you

Again as a Scot living in Australia, why is it wrong for people to take a pride in the land of their ancestors Should Scottish Australians or Canadians not have Burns suppers, celebrate St Andrew's Day or have Scottish car stickers? Maybe you should tell them to "return to your supposedly beloved homeland with which you are obsessed".

Are there American descendants living in Scotland claiming false persecution and slandering our Monarch, religion, nation, way of life and football club? :rolleyes:

Are Scottish Australians and Canadians claiming persecution at the hands of the wider Australian and Canadian community and derogating everything about the nation they live in? If they were, your point would be relevant and perhaps they should go somewhere they're happier in that context, but you and I both know that isn't the case.

You come across as a right wing Irish Republican rather than a "leftyger". I should know.

Since when have socialists supported the monarchy, religion or the nation state?

There are plenty of Scots who aren't Celtic fans and don't have any links to Ireland that want Scotland to be an independent republic. Where are you going to send them?

I'll say it again the song is racist because it denigrates an entire people because of the actions of a few. Or are you suggestion the entire Anglo-Irish population are kiddie fiddlers, thieves and rapists who supported the Nazis during WWII.

you are telling someone to go home because of his nationality, altho in closer context you are actually telling someone to go home because they claim nationality of a country other than the one in which they are domiciled.

So as a proud Scot living in Australia I shouldn't be offended if someone tells me to f off back to Scotland? Maybe they could do it by singing: "The clearances are over why don't you go home."

You're trying very hard to distort reality and portray this as somehow negative, thus strongly suggesting you are indeed timmy. Are you unaware it's a response to the line "rebelled against the famine and the crown" in the Feel of Arthur's Thighs? How come it's ok for them to sign abusively about our monarch and spiritual leader in relation to the famine, whilst you have an issue with saying "if you're not happy here, why don't you return to your supposedly beloved homeland with which you are obsessed?"

You support Rangers for over thirty years but you dare challenge anti-Irish racism and you get called a Tim. As I said incredible.

Given that a lot of countries rebelled against the UK crown you must get really offended by national anthems like the US one, which is about an US battle against British forces. Or is it juts Irish ones that annoy you

Again as a Scot living in Australia, why is it wrong for people to take a pride in the land of their ancestors Should Scottish Australians or Canadians not have Burns suppers, celebrate St Andrew's Day or have Scottish car stickers? Maybe you should tell them to "return to your supposedly beloved homeland with which you are obsessed".

Are there American descendants living in Scotland claiming false persecution and slandering our Monarch, religion, nation, way of life and football club? :rolleyes:

Are Scottish Australians and Canadians claiming persecution at the hands of the wider Australian and Canadian community and derogating everything about the nation they live in? If they were, your point would be relevant and perhaps they should go somewhere they're happier in that context, but you and I both know that isn't the case.

You come across as a right wing Irish Republican rather than a "leftyger". I should know.

Since when have socialists supported the monarchy, religion or the nation state?

There are plenty of Scots who aren't Celtic fans and don't have any links to Ireland that want Scotland to be an independent republic. Where are you going to send them?

I'll say it again the song is racist because it denigrates an entire people because of the actions of a few. Or are you suggestion the entire Anglo-Irish population are kiddie fiddlers, thieves and rapists who supported the Nazis during WWII.

Virtually every socialist party has identified with it's national identity. Many socialists are religious and not always anti-monarchist.

You seem to assume that I am pro-monarchy, very patriotic and religious, but that was an assumption on your behalf.

Furthermore, I was pointing out the irony of hypocrisy of defending faux Irish bigots who are hell bent on causing strife, antagonism and antipathy between the communities. Rather than endure their delusional torture, why not live somewhere that you think you'd be better off because there is no "proddy Mason conspiracy".

Therefore, as has been previously said, there is no problem with anyone living here happily and making an effort to get on with people, rather than antagonise and provoke hostility. The song, I think most would agree, isn't even directed at Catholic, Irish Republicans who live in Britain but don't have an axe to grind.

Why do you continually miss that point? Why do continually use false definitions?

Too busy grinding that axe? :rolleyes:

It's worth remembering that they are the ones who bring the potato famine into Scottish football every time they play at home with that god awful durge they inflict on visiting supporters. If they want to be anti-British so badly then why don't they go back to where their loyalties obviously lie

This song is aimed at the Paddies that want us to change to their way of thinking. I have no arguments with anyone from any race, colour, creed coming to our country to improve their way of life but they should integrate into our way of life that has made our nation prosperous. Not try to change us to the way of life that failed them in their old countries. If they feel their old country is better than ours then let them go home. Guys like McGayday born and bread in Scotland of Scottish parents chooses to be something else then he can F**K off to the Oireland he loves so much.

This song is aimed at the Paddies that want us to change to their way of thinking. I have no arguments with anyone from any race, colour, creed coming to our country to improve their way of life but they should integrate into our way of life that has made our nation prosperous. Not try to change us to the way of life that failed them in their old countries. If they feel their old country is better than ours then let them go home. Guys like McGayday born and bread in Scotland of Scottish parents chooses to be something else then he can F**K off to the Oireland he loves so much.

agreed (tu)

bang on !!!!