The Velodrome...

ara

Police say they shipped 11,000 fans there in 15 minutes...

That's 220 busloads...how the fuck was that possible given the crowds stopping traffic in the vicinity from moving?

How many were actually in there?....anyone know?..

I read that on the news yesterday morning too. I was at Picadilly, there were no sign of buses, no mention of buses, no rumours of buses, it just didnt happen. How the hell could they get busses there at that short notice, get everyone on them and then transport them in 15 minutes?? It just doesnt compute. As far as I'm concerned, its an out and out lie by GMP.

I was there - we couldn't find any buses and it became clear it was going to take ages to walk so we were lucky and managed to share a cab with two guys heading for the stadium. This was about 6.30pm. When we hit the stadium we then ended up walking in circles round the Asda car park for a while trying to figure out how to get to the bloody place. Luckily we made it there for about 7.30pm.

It was near empty when we first got there, and I was talking to one of the stewards who said that this was obviously "the best kept secret in Manchester". He couldn't understand why the police hadn't sent people there earlier, rather than having them wander round the streets - especially as here at least there was a bar so booze was readily available, which is more than can be said for the city centre at times. It started to fill up during the first half, but was no where near full at any point. I have no idea how many were there - I'm rubbish at guessing crowd sizes but I don't think I would have said 11,000.

that's the biggest lot of pish i've heard,

we tried to go after being told etc.... asked 3 diferent coppers and 3 different directions and all with different timescales

eventually we found a pub and watched it in there.

That's 220 busloads...how the fuck was that possible given the crowds stopping traffic in the vicinity from moving?

Ive actually got a video on my phone of inside the velodrome.If some one can tell me how to post it up i will gladlyshare it with you.

that's the biggest lot of pish i've heard,

we tried to go after being told etc.... asked 3 diferent coppers and 3 different directions and all with different timescales

eventually we found a pub and watched it in there.

That sounds very similar to my experience.

We had increasing estimates of how long it would take to get there.

We eventually found a pub too.

I was there just got in in time for the start of the second half and it was no where near full, disgrace and they could have told people earlier but they choose not too the whole thing stinks !

Ive actually got a video on my phone of inside the velodrome.If some one can tell me how to post it up i will gladlyshare it with you.

do you have a youtube account?

I was there. Managed to jump on a bus at picadilly just before the trouble kicked off. Followed some supporters, I had no idea where I was going. It was a strange place, there was certainly lots of empty seats inside - I wasn't too keen on it as it lacked any atmosphere. There was another large screen showing the game outside the velodrome on an outdoor gravel pitch of some sort. Watched most of the 2nd half there, but I had a horrendous migraine by then and couldn't really enjoy the game.

they cannot seriously think were gonna believe that they opened up the velodrome in 15 minutes?

They need to prepare for it, get police in, security, make sure its all connected, then order the buses as well

The rumour about them deliberately switching it off, or that they knew it wasnt working hours before kick off, is starting to become true

I was there. Managed to jump on a bus at picadilly just before the trouble kicked off. Followed some supporters, I had no idea where I was going. It was a strange place, there was certainly lots of empty seats inside - I wasn't too keen on it as it lacked any atmosphere. There was another large screen showing the game outside the velodrome on an outdoor gravel pitch of some sort. Watched most of the 2nd half there, but I had a horrendous migraine by then and couldn't really enjoy the game.

just glad that you got out of there safe mate!!

(tu)

just glad that you got out of there safe mate!!

(tu)

Cheers ara. Definately a bit of good fortune

Load of pish

I was in Picadilly with 2 mates and there were certainly no buses available

Liars trying to cover their own arses!!!

How can they order buses in 15 minutes to come and pick us up in the middle of a jam packed city centre?

A load of pish

I was in piccadilly since 8 am, No problems with the big screen all day! It got overcrowded since about 4pm.Why didnt the police close off the square hours before kick off and let people know about the velodrome earlier....not at time of kick off?? I think the police and council realised there was a safety issue with the numbers and decided to not screen the game to force people to leave! Technical difficulties...my arse!!

When i saw it wasn't happening...i left straight away.I wasn't happy but my concern was to see the game....not to cause bother!! Thank fuck my hotel was just around the corner.Saw 60 mins of game in my room. Never saw any buses on my way there and never heard about them until the next day!!

Sounds like MCC and MGP are passing all the blame onto Rangers supporters,because they know that if it is found out that they have been lying about buses and technical difficulties mixed with bad planning, they wont host a major event again!!

I want an inquiry...but no doubt the government wont have one.It would cost manchester millions in lost revenue in the future if the MCC and GMP were found to be lying,and that they cant handle major events and numbers!!

Fuck your Gordon Brown and New Labour !!! (Is it a Labour council stronghold by any chance?)

I was in piccadilly since 8 am, No problems with the big screen all day! It got overcrowded since about 4pm.Why didnt the police close off the square hours before kick off and let people know about the velodrome earlier....not at time of kick off?? I think the police and council realised there was a safety issue with the numbers and decided to not screen the game to force people to leave! Technical difficulties...my arse!!

When i saw it wasn't happening...i left straight away.I wasn't happy but my concern was to see the game....not to cause bother!! Thank fuck my hotel was just around the corner.Saw 60 mins of game in my room. Never saw any buses on my way there and never heard about them until the next day!!

Sounds like MCC and MGP are passing all the blame onto Rangers supporters,because they know that if it is found out that they have been lying about buses and technical difficulties mixed with bad planning, they wont host a major event again!!

I want an inquiry...but no doubt the government wont have one.It would cost manchester millions in lost revenue in the future if the MCC and GMP were found to be lying,and that they cant handle major events and numbers!!

Fuck your Gordon Brown and New Labour !!! (Is it a Labour council stronghold by any chance?)

I've been getting these points on various webnews comments boards today... if you get a mo..add tuppenceworth and let people ask the right questions...