GMP annonce who was to blame on THAT night

WEDNESDAY’S horrific night of UEFA Cup violence was fuelled by rent-a-mobs from across England, it was claimed last night.

Crafty football casuals from clubs including Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United secretly donned Gers colours to deliberately hijack the event and wreak havoc.

And we can reveal police chiefs fear they got their preparations totally wrong — and have admitted their plan to accommodate travelling fans was woefully inadequate.

A senior police officer from Greater Manchester Police confessed: “It was a free-for-all. Hooligan elements from all over the country were there — and our plan wasn’t up to it.â€

Today we can reveal that hooligan firms from all over England flocked to Manchester for the game — many of them known to cops and subject to football banning orders.

However, these measures could do NOTHING to stop the yobs travelling to the city for the clash. Troublemakers from Leicester City, Birmingham City, Oxford United, Millwall, Stockport County, Sheffield Wednesday and Chelsea were all involved in the rioting.

Hooligans attached to both Manchester sides — City and United — also helped trash their own city while battling cops AND Gers fans.

A member of the notorious Border City Firm — linked to Carlisle United — said fans’ internet message boards had been buzzing ahead of Wednesday’s final, and that the shameful ruck had been well planned.

He revealed: “That’s why people were seeing Rangers fans fighting Rangers fans. People from other clubs simply paid £25 for a Rangers top so they could blend in. It’s not rocket science.â€

Our police source also admitted that chiefs “blundered badly†in their handling of the riot.

The highly-placed city desk officer — who has over 20 years’ experience under his belt — said: “It was a total balls-up. The plan encompassed a smaller number of fans from two foreign teams getting through.

“Every time Rangers survived another round you could see people looking at each other and thinking, ‘Surely they won’t make the final?’ When they beat Fiorentina things started to go into freefall.

“The first thought was to effectively shut up shop — to try to control the situation by saying, ‘Don’t come if you don’t have a ticket’.

“But it quickly became apparent, through talks with Rangers and what we were hearing in the media, that lots of fans were coming regardless.

“The figure 100,000 we should have been able to cope with. But on the day, there was double that number. Any large-scale gathering of people like that brings with it unique problems.

“Hooligans easily ride on the coat-tails of large gatherings like this and it could be that a large degree of the trouble was caused by a violent element with NO ties to Rangers whatsoever.â€

Club boss David Murray has vowed to ban for LIFE any Gers fan convicted of rioting.

Ibrox officials are scanning the names of those appearing at court on rioting charges for season ticket holders.

But notorious former hooligan Jason Marriner reckons cops were woefully under-prepared. And the ex-Chelsea Headhunter member, who was handed a six-year sentence in 2000 for planning a pre-match punch-up, insists officers were too heavy-handed.

Marriner, 40, who was in Manchester to watch the game on TV with pals, blasted: “The police have to take a lot of the blame for what happened. They had no idea of the numbers involved and got it all wrong.â€

Trouble flared when the giant screen in the Piccadilly Gardens fanzone failed just before kick-off, and riot police were sent in.

Marriner added: “Is it any wonder that when the screen broke down people were upset?

“There were fans there who had spent hundreds of pounds to get to Manchester only to be told they were not going to see the game. The police should have seen the problem for what it was and dealt with it.

“Getting the batons out and charging was not the thing to do.â€

Our Manchester police source, who’s helped at countless local derbies and powderkeg Manchester United v Liverpool clashes, agrees some officers may have been heavy-handed in their policing of the event.

He said: “As the day went on, people who’d been drinking a lot became more rowdy. Public order was a problem. But that wasn’t helped by a number of factors. At Piccadilly, for instance, there weren’t enough loos. That created a problem with people having to urinate within the confines of the fans’ area.

“People — women in particular — were rightly annoyed by that.

“Anecdotally I’ve heard the sight of officers in their full body armour seemed to exacerbate an already hostile atmosphere. That can be the case. The sight of officers in their gear maybe does send out the wrong message. To some people it says, ‘We’re here for a fight’.â€

After the first glass bottle was thrown, the city centre quickly descended into chaos. Our source says officers worked to a regimented plan — to take control of the streets and disperse the large number of fans.

“Officers are well trained for it,†he said. “But training is very different from reality.

“With the adrenaline pumping it’s very easy for the officers to be accused of over-zealous policing. And I think that was the case on Wednesday.

“The powers-that-be are aware of their shortcomings. But they’re not all the fault of the police. Manchester City Council has to bear some of the blame too.

“We’ve certainly gone on a public relations blitz to try and get our side across. And that’s fair — because hooliganism can never be tolerated.

“But there’s a lot of lessons we need to learn from this episode too. I think we sent out too many mixed messages and ultimately got it wrong. Our plan wasn’t up to it.â€

Footie boffin Bert Moorhouse, of Glasgow University’s sociology department, also believes the organisation was poor.

The expert on soccer science said: “It seems to me that they did virtually nothing before the game on Wednesday and left fans to their own devices.

“Add that to the fact that Piccadilly Gardens was a bad location to keep the fans, and it’s easy to see how it turned out the way it did.

“Why not use Old Trafford? It has a 75,000 capacity — surely they could have had a screen in there and managed it better.

“Anyone who knows anything about Scottish football knew that Rangers were going to go down there with 100,000-plus fans.

“And there are probably enough Rangers fans in England to fill up Manchester. I just never got the impression the authorities were properly prepared.

“And if people are allowed to sit around, fill themselves up with booze and then the screens don’t work, there are going to be people who are annoyed.â€

A broken big screen, heavy-handed police, poor organisation...all have been cited as contributory reasons.

But let’s not kid ourselves — the main reason for the appalling scenes was booze.

The louts who clashed with police were tanked up after day-long sessions. And their binge drinking was positively encouraged, with supermarkets selling beer at 6am and pubs offering cut-price deals.

Drink is one of the biggest killers in Scotland. But it doesn’t only affect the individual. Entire communities suffer because of our national love affair with the bottle.

Wednesday night was proof of that. And proof, too, that we MUST change our ways. How can we tell our children that drunken violence is wrong if we do nothing about the booze culture that breeds it?

http://blogs.notw.co.uk/newsoftheworld_sco...ish-rent-a.html

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would never have guessed that!!

It was obvious by looking at the pictures the next day it was orchestrated by hooligan firms who just wanted a square go with the police.

Hmmm, and, how many of those so quick to jump on and say how our fans were scum, and the like, while Bears like myself defended us, will come back on and say they were wrong??

Not many I would think! But would be interesting to see

A story in the NOTW and an alleged comment from an unnamed 'senior police officer from Greater Manchester Police' is worth nothing.

Unfortunately Manti when you are getting attacked from all sides, you cling onto anything you can to try and salvage something from the ashes.

I agree that there were a lot of factors that added to the trouble on Wednesday nite, but I will not back down and say that not one of our fans caused trouble. There were fans totally tanked up and couldn't control their aggression, I seen it with my own eyes in Piccadilly train station, well after the game at 11, there were 3 incidents where our so called fans were just behaving like animals and 2 of these incidents included couples supposedly down to support our team (one guy was telling his loudmouth bird to sit down and shut the fuck up cause she was out of control fighting with anyone that passed her and the other girl was holding her man back cause he was trying to fight with one of his own supporters on the York train, (and drink is not an excuse, because we all know what it can do if you get over agitated, I have been in a situation where I have just wanted to fight due to drink and from then on, I make sure I don't get into that state).

Those that were angry (which I think they were quite right to be, there is no denying that) with the screen not showing the game, still did not have to use violence.

There were a lot to blame for this, our so called fans included!

I blame the muslims.

GTF.

Peace be upon you.

Prick.

You can get counselling for anger issues Brother.

Or i'll come and sort you out maself.

Come on down and I'll give you a spelling lesson.

Sorted, name a place and i'll bring the boys down.

I blame the muslims.

GTF.

Peace be upon you.

Prick.

You can get counselling for anger issues Brother.

Or i'll come and sort you out maself.

Come on down and I'll give you a spelling lesson.

Sorted, name a place and i'll bring the boys down.

You an army boy eh??....scum.

grow up and act your age.