Cricket - I want to learn the rules...

As a Swede I don't know much about this sport, I think I know the basics; the fielding team hurls the ball towards the wicket, which is defended by the batter, who hits the ball to score runs. An innings is over once both teams are finsihed batting. I know what overs, boundaries, catches and so on are...pretty much the basics. I wonder if anyone could give me som help regarding the latest test (that ended 14/7) between England(+Wales) and South Africa. What strikes me as odd is that South Africa got to pitch twice, whereas England only got to pitch once. England began pitching in the first innings, but didn't get to pitch in the second innings. And - thinking I had just got the hang of it - I was very confused, to say the least. <cr> So I asked an Englishman, but he didn't like cricket. :so_sad:

However he mentioned something about that since England had got more runs in the first innings than South Africa and had knocked out all of the South African batters, South Africa got to bat again in the second innings to make the match a draw. Once again I was very confused! <cr>

So I'm wondering if anyone could be so kind to explain to me what on earth he meant? Oh, and one last thing, what is a maiden? :unionflag:

Basically there's a formula that means if you score a big first innings score and the other team gets nowhere near it you can force them to bat again before you bat again. If their total scores over their two innings exceeds yours then you bat again in your second innings. This game ran out of time so it ended in a draw.

When bowling a bowler bowls an 'over' at a time - each over consists of 6 balls (excluding no balls which would take more explaining)

A maiden is when these 6 balls are bowled and there are no runs scored by the batting team.

When both teams have completed their first innings, normally the first will bat again.

However if the second is 200 or more runs behind, they have to bat again, it's known as 'following on'.

Normally the second team is fecked at this point, but in this case SA batted very well and secured a draw.

Winning a test after following on is very rare.

And it's 'bowling', 'pitching' is baseball's equivalent (tu)

Edit: Only three teams have won a test after following on - England in 1894/5 and 1981; and India 2000/01. All against Australia. Brissy will be pleased :D

OK, thx everyone, think I've got it now ^_^ I'm gonna have to watch the next test though and the ones "following on" (haha just a little pun of mine) I'm fairly sure I'll enjoy them.

:unionflag:

When both teams have completed their first innings, normally the first will bat again.

However if the second is 200 or more runs behind, they have to bat again, it's known as 'following on'.

Normally the second team is fecked at this point, but in this case SA batted very well and secured a draw.

Edit: Only three teams have won a test after following on - England in 1894/5 and 1981; and India 2000/01. All against Australia. Brissy will be pleased :D

Actually they don't have to bat again - its up to the other side to decide whether to make them follow on or not

Actually they don't have to bat again - its up to the other side to decide whether to make them follow on or not

(tu) Good point. Quite correct.

How often has the other side not insisted on the follow on?

not very often, but it does happen

Think I've seen Australia turn it down a couple of times if there were a couple of days left in the test. Usually bat for a session and get as many runs on the board as possible and try and get the othe team out before time runs out. The problem with forcing the follow on is that it's easy for the batting team to then try and force a draw by playing very safe cricket.