Samaras slating our anti football

Guest therabbitt
My opinion is that Rangers don't try to play football, but prefer to concentrate on defence and counter-attacking. That's just the philosophy of the club and ours is different. We have a different style and we have to make sure that ours works

Changeable Samaras

Celtic need to play me up front alone to find success in Europe, says Georgios Samaras

Jul 28 2008 By Hugh Keevins

CELTIC won on continental soil for the first time in three years - and Georgios Samaras believes playing a 4-5-1 formation could pave the way to regular triumphs abroad.

The win over Porto pointed the way forward for the club on their travels in Europe with Samaras operating up front on his own to good effect in front of a hostile crowd.

The 42,308 saw the kind of display Celtic would give anything to repeat in an away tie in the Champions League with Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink bagging the winner three minutes from time.

And Samaras hailed the 4-5-1 system as the way ahead for the club when they look out the passports later in the year.

Samaras said: "Maybe the system we used could work in European games.

"We're used to playing 4-4-2, attacking and making goals. Sometimes you need to do that or we could play with one up front but it's up to the gaffer to make that decision.

"I just wait to hear how he wants me to play and then I go out to do my job.

"It was a 50-50 game with Porto. I don't think they had many great chances while we must be honest and say we didn't have many either."

The quickest way to fall out with anyone associated with Celtic is to question the team's pre-season form.

And the way Strachan's side performed against the likes of Fulham, Middlesbrough and Cardiff might have given rise to concern but Celtic stunned a crowd bigger than watched those games put together by the strength of their character.

An occasion in the Dragao Stadium which reached full competitive intensity, and made the referee ask for the removal of Scott Brown before the end, was more beneficial than tiresome testimonials or two-bob tournaments played on the Algarve for a holiday audience.

The win on Saturday might not have avenged losing to the Portuguese in the UEFA Cup Final five years ago but Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink's 87th-minute goal was the icing on a display of character, even if Samaras refused to get carried away.

He said: "I think we played well and all the boys enjoyed playing on a stage like that. We have two weeks still to go until the championship starts and three friendly games still to play. We still have work to do.

"Games against Spurs and Feyenoord will help us prepare better for the start of the league season.

"We didn't get good results against Middlesbrough or Cardiff but now we have won and it's a better feeling."

Porto put on a pre-match show that would have rivalled a World Cup Final extravaganza. Ironically, it was called the Festival of Presentations, the occasion when the Portuguese champions stage managed the introduction of their close-season signings.

Celtic have come under scrutiny because they've signed no one with the exception of £150,000 Paddy McCourt from Derry City.

The mistake would have been to recall Seville and wonder at the transformation in Celtic's personnel since then.

But Henrik Larsson has gone and ain't coming back. And neither is the money that was spent on bringing in others such as Neil Lennon, Chris Sutton and Alan Thomson.

Strachan does his best with what he's got, and there were stand-outs and misfits on Saturday. Artur Boruc underlined his credentials with three incredible saves. Paul Hartley was immense and even provided the cross for the goal when he had to play wide left to accommodate a re-think when the referee told Celtic to remove Brown before there was trouble.

Little did the referee suspect there'd be even more trouble after Brown had left the field.

The other side of the coin might have been an error-strewn display from Massimo Donati that once again placed a huge question mark against his ability to ever provide what Celtic need in central midfield.

The players who dug deep were the same ones who won a third title in a row by putting together a seven-game run of wins at the end of the season.

Samaras suspects the bond between the players and good results is more than coincidental.

He said: "The squad is the same as last season but that means we are really close together. You can see that when we go on to the field.

"We're really together outside football as well, and that's nice."

None of which weakens the case for reinforcements and the fans will still want to see new signings before long.

When the players went into their huddle in an intimidating setting you wondered if they might have been saying to each other: "Is there a back way out of here?"

But they left with their heads held high and their confidence intact. And the sense of satisfaction had to be far greater than it was on the night they started their pre-season work by beating Southampton.

On that occasion the home side finished up with a man on their side who had won an auction for the chance to play with his heroes.

But this was a victory for a team who refused to believe they were inferior to the opposition.

Where does it say that Samaras is slating our Anti-football?

He's talking about Them playing 4-5-1 next season in europe could help them

Samaras, makes sense now.

Published Date: 16 April 2008

By Glenn Gibbons

GEORGIOS Samaras has offered a definition of the difference between Celtic and Rangers that will doubtless be interpreted at Ibrox as the kind of slur that could backfire to the advantage of the Premier League leaders as the teams meet at Parkhead tonight.

The stakes are already high enough, with Celtic four points behind their rivals having played two games more. Put simply, Celtic cannot afford to lose tonight.

"I think Celtic have better football players than Rangers, we pass the ball better," said the Greek striker. "My opinion is that Rangers don't try to play football, but prefer to concentrate on defence and counter-attacking. That's just the philosophy of the club and ours is different.

"We have a different style and we have to make sure that ours works. In the last match, when we lost 1-0 at Ibrox, I think we didn't get what we deserved. We played some good football then and we have to do so again, but avoid the mistakes we made at Ibrox, which was not taking our chances.

"But that match is in the past and now we are prepared physically and mentally for tomorrow night. We'll do as we always do, try to play good football, make passes, and this time try to take advantage. I prefer not to concentrate too much on how Rangers play, but on how we play."

Samaras could have added that another difference between the teams is the four-point lead enjoyed by Rangers, but he did admit that Celtic have something to prove after a sequence of four defeats in Old Firm collisions without scoring a goal.

"We have to prove to our supporters that we are a good team," he said. "By that, I mean that we are capable of turning our good play into victories. And, of course, we still believe we can win the league championship. Everybody here does.

"Yes, it's out of our hands in that we have to rely on Rangers slipping even if we do beat them in the two remaining games against them. But winning tomorrow's match would help to put some pressure on them that could lead to mistakes. We have six matches left, but nobody can be sure that they will all be won. It's the same for Rangers with their remaining games and we have to try to put some doubt in their minds by winning tomorrow."

Samaras has previous form when it comes to declarations made before an Old Firm match. Ahead of the last encounter at Ibrox, he declared he would score but ended up on the losing side, when Celtic went down 1-0.

His scoring record has not been startling since his arrival on loan from Manchester City in January. The Greek has hit the net only four times, against Gretna, Hibs, Inverness and Kilmarnock. It is perhaps no surprise then that he is uncertain about his future beyond the end of the season. Although he stated a preference for remaining at Celtic Park, it is unlikely his present manager, Gordon Strachan, will be enamoured of the Greek's insisting on assurances that he will be a first pick.

"At the moment, I'm only focusing on what we have to do between now and the end of the season," said Samaras. "But I don't want to go back to Manchester City, that's for sure. I would like to stay with Celtic, because they are a big club and I really like it here. I am at a club who support me and trust me.

"But one of the reasons I don't want to go back to City is that I would probably not be a regular first choice and I really need first-team football at this stage. That's something I'll be discussing with the manager here and I will be looking for an assurance that I will be a first-team player. I don't think I am going to stay at a club if I am back-up striker. I came here because I wanted Celtic to win the title and to help me get ready for the European Championship."

There was also time for another pre-match prediction. "It's always important to score first because you can play better football. My bet for tomorrow is that the team who scores the goal will win, like the last game."

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Samaras-te...ring.3985004.jp

Samaras, makes sense now.

Published Date: 16 April 2008

By Glenn Gibbons

GEORGIOS Samaras has offered a definition of the difference between Celtic and Rangers that will doubtless be interpreted at Ibrox as the kind of slur that could backfire to the advantage of the Premier League leaders as the teams meet at Parkhead tonight.

The stakes are already high enough, with Celtic four points behind their rivals having played two games more. Put simply, Celtic cannot afford to lose tonight.

"I think Celtic have better football players than Rangers, we pass the ball better," said the Greek striker. "My opinion is that Rangers don't try to play football, but prefer to concentrate on defence and counter-attacking. That's just the philosophy of the club and ours is different.

"We have a different style and we have to make sure that ours works. In the last match, when we lost 1-0 at Ibrox, I think we didn't get what we deserved. We played some good football then and we have to do so again, but avoid the mistakes we made at Ibrox, which was not taking our chances.

"But that match is in the past and now we are prepared physically and mentally for tomorrow night. We'll do as we always do, try to play good football, make passes, and this time try to take advantage. I prefer not to concentrate too much on how Rangers play, but on how we play."

Samaras could have added that another difference between the teams is the four-point lead enjoyed by Rangers, but he did admit that Celtic have something to prove after a sequence of four defeats in Old Firm collisions without scoring a goal.

"We have to prove to our supporters that we are a good team," he said. "By that, I mean that we are capable of turning our good play into victories. And, of course, we still believe we can win the league championship. Everybody here does.

"Yes, it's out of our hands in that we have to rely on Rangers slipping even if we do beat them in the two remaining games against them. But winning tomorrow's match would help to put some pressure on them that could lead to mistakes. We have six matches left, but nobody can be sure that they will all be won. It's the same for Rangers with their remaining games and we have to try to put some doubt in their minds by winning tomorrow."

Samaras has previous form when it comes to declarations made before an Old Firm match. Ahead of the last encounter at Ibrox, he declared he would score but ended up on the losing side, when Celtic went down 1-0.

His scoring record has not been startling since his arrival on loan from Manchester City in January. The Greek has hit the net only four times, against Gretna, Hibs, Inverness and Kilmarnock. It is perhaps no surprise then that he is uncertain about his future beyond the end of the season. Although he stated a preference for remaining at Celtic Park, it is unlikely his present manager, Gordon Strachan, will be enamoured of the Greek's insisting on assurances that he will be a first pick.

"At the moment, I'm only focusing on what we have to do between now and the end of the season," said Samaras. "But I don't want to go back to Manchester City, that's for sure. I would like to stay with Celtic, because they are a big club and I really like it here. I am at a club who support me and trust me.

"But one of the reasons I don't want to go back to City is that I would probably not be a regular first choice and I really need first-team football at this stage. That's something I'll be discussing with the manager here and I will be looking for an assurance that I will be a first-team player. I don't think I am going to stay at a club if I am back-up striker. I came here because I wanted Celtic to win the title and to help me get ready for the European Championship."

There was also time for another pre-match prediction. "It's always important to score first because you can play better football. My bet for tomorrow is that the team who scores the goal will win, like the last game."

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Samaras-te...ring.3985004.jp

Yeah he said that months back,But thats not the link that RDB posted :blink:

I think Mr Keevins is getting a little carried away over a decent result in a FRIENDLY FFS !!!!!!

He even tries to tart up their record in Europe by counting this shite as an away win.

<cr>

Lol

We know thats not possible, celtic winning away in a competitive european game

I think Mr Keevins is getting a little carried away over a decent result in a FRIENDLY FFS !!!!!!

He even tries to tart up their record in Europe by counting this shite as an away win.

<cr>

Lol

I know I'm probably being paranoid as hell but if we had their away record I'd love to see what our dear friends in the press would make of it.

I'm damn sure it wouldn't be as good as swept under the carpet like it is for them !!!

:angry2:

I have never watched celtic pass the ball around well. I watched most of their away matches last season and they just launch the ball towards vinegar over and over again. Do the scum players never watch their matches again, they seem to think they are an entertaining, attractive team....

And why does that big jessy think they deserved to win the old firm game in March? Again in this game they just repeatedly launched the ball to vinegar and the jessy. They only troubled McGregor once, a 30 yard shot from Hinkel <cr>

<cr>

Lol

I know I'm probably being paranoid as hell but if we had their away record I'd love to see what our dear friends in the press would make of it.

I'm damn sure it wouldn't be as good as swept under the carpet like it is for them !!!

:angry2:

not the only thing they sweep under the carpet either :craphead:

Couldn't really give a shit what he thinks or says.

I just hope someone hits him knee-high this season and the same goes out to Boruc, Caldwell, McManus, McGayday, Brown, Hartley, Robson, McDonald and Jim Vinegar.

Couldn't really give a shit what he thinks or says.

I just hope someone hits him knee-high this season and the same goes out to Boruc, Caldwell, McManus, McGayday, Brown, Hartley, Robson, McDonald and Jim Vinegar.

:clap:

It's absolutely hilarious how they think that this new 4-5-1 will turn them from the team with the worst away record in Champions League history, to actual serious contenders.

Short memories on their account. They tend to bypass the time when Strachan tried to match us with a 4-5-1 in the first OF game of last season and we absolutely annihilated them.

I just remember the abuse the scottish mhedia gave us during the nine-in-a-row years for our poor performances in europe, always waiting for a chance to put the fukin boot in. Funny now when the great unwashed can't buy a point in outside of glasgow it's mentioned like some sort of proud quest! Fuck the lot of them, no-one likes us........ :unionflag: