Spurs eye Gers ace Cuellar

By ROGER HANNAH

Published: Today

rigTeaserImage

SPURS are ready to prey on Rangers’ £12million Euro misery with a swoop for Carlos Cuellar.

Cuellar, right, is known to Spurs boss Juande Ramos, left, from his time in La Liga with Osasuna.

Spurs scouts saw some of his excellent displays last season while monitoring £9m Alan Hutton.

And they could move for £12m-rated Cuellar as a direct replacement for outgoing stopper Younes Kaboul.

Gers’ Champions League defeat in Lithuania blew a massive hole in their income streams.

It also left shattered gaffer Walter Smith, right, with little cash to rebuild his squad.

Smith may be forced to sell before he can add the newcomers he so badly needs. And Premier League predators are now hovering over Ibrox and preparing bids for some of his key stars.

Cuellar missed both legs of the 2-1 aggregate loss to FBK Kaunas with a calf strain.

His absence means he’s not cup-tied for Euro competitions and could attract interest from other clubs.

And Stoke City are poised to reignite their interest in Lee McCulloch.

Stoke boss Tony Pulis has had the Scotland star on his radar since their Premiership promotion.

Gers insisted the £2m-rated midfielder wasn’t for sale before the Champions League exit.

But it’s believed they will consider offers for several stars as they seek to rebuild for a title fight.

Gers are still trying to off-load Daniel Cousin and Brahim Hemdani.

Jean-Claude Darcheville also looks to be on the way out after three strikers arrived in the close-season.

Advertisement

But finding takers for the Ibrox outcasts will be the biggest problem. Smith is desperate to boost his squad now that the SPL title has assumed even greater importance.

The gaffer could be without EIGHT first-team stars for the opener at Falkirk on Saturday.

Cuellar, DaMarcus Beasley, Chris Burke, Steven Naismith, Barry Ferguson and Steven Smith are injured. And both stand-in skipper David Weir and Nacho Novo will serve bans in the curtain-raiser.

Algerian stopper Madjid Bougherra is likely to be handed a debut against the Bairns.

But Smith wants more new recruits as Gers face a daunting August schedule which ends with an away Old Firm derby.

To make matters worse he faces an angry clash at Friday's annual meeting with the Rangers Supporters Association.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...icle1525048.ece

Stoke boss Tony Pulis has had the Scotland star on his radar since their Premiership promotion.

Gers insisted the £2m-rated midfielder wasn’t for sale before the Champions League exit.

But it’s believed they will consider offers for several stars as they seek to rebuild for a title fight.

Jean-Claude Darcheville also looks to be on the way out after three strikers arrived in the close-season.

YES YES YES YES YES to all of THAT

YES YES YES YES YES to all of THAT

Lets hope McCulloch is 1st out the door (tu)

Guest johngers
£2 million for McCulloch would be absolute robbery. What muppet would actually pay that for him?

A muppet from Stoke presumably :craphead:

This has almost cheered me up

£2 million for McCulloch would be absolute robbery. What muppet would actually pay that for him?

I know Stoke quite well and it is indeed full of muppets, but I think this is an excited journalist getting a bit ahead of himself.

Guest johngers

I know Stoke quite well and it is indeed full of muppets, but I think this is an excited journalist getting a bit ahead of himself.

Depends, we won't know for sure till he signs.

Possible. £2million mcCulloch. sign Loovens. swap hutton + 2-4million for Cuellar :( then buy in wingers, attacking mid and davis

hate see cuellar go but tht could work out well

Where does it say were swapping Cuellar for Hutton :baffled:

Just a rumor going round at the moment.

you dont sell your best player. for any price . simple as .

C.Ronaldo for Man Utd . SAF wouldnt sell him for any price

Cuellar is the best thing that has happened to Rangers in a while . And were gonna sell him?