Is Smith Trying to Prove a Point?

JRodgA2k8

Walter Smith refused to start Kris Boyd in a series of matches last season questioning his value to the team in certain times and situations and he was slated for doing so. Boyd to his credit still managed to finish as the top goalscorer for the team...again. There has basically been a demand from the Rangers support, well a majority of them at least, in which to have Boyd starting in the SPL games this season and so far he has failed to deliver. A penalty aside there hasnt been much to his game other than a waste of a lot of posession and a lot of misplaced passes. He is clearly lacking confidence and possibly fitness and to drop the lad will probably do him much more harm than good but can we afford to labour through games with him up front in case he might get his goal?

I have a feeling Smith is possible trying to prove a point so that when it comes to him dropping Boyd....most likely next week against Celtic.....people may also agree but to do so the team needs to score goals in which to warrant that decision. There are certainly options out there with Velicka, JCD and Lafferty all out of the team today so it will be interesting to see who he selects up front next week. There is also the option of Miller who has yet to play up front the SPL this season but as we know he is unlikely to set the fires ablaze.

Smith probably knew by playing Boyd it was a double edged sword, he would either be the crucial goalscorer in the first few games or he would fall away in each of the games. A headflick and penalty he never won aside he is a player contributing little and I worry for us if he is continuing to start games but I suspect we wont see him until Kilmarnock at home at the earliest now.

No.

Boyd didnt play last year as we played 4-5-1 and he cant play the target man lone striker role...

Now we are playing 4-4-2 Boyd will start, he is still being asked to play in the target man role though which is achieving nothing!