Davie Cooper, I wish I'd got to see him

I remember when he signed for us........i was only a kid(7 or 8) and i wondered why we were signing someone from Clydebank.

As a kid you don't expect someone playing for a wee team a mile up the road from you to be signing for Rangers.

Still the most gifted i've seen at Ibrox and i'm not ashamed to say i cried when i was told in work that day that he had died...even a couple of Tims had a tear in their eye that day...

He was amazing billy. He was a great player, who stuck through the bad years at Rangers in the early + mid 80's.

He could easily have went abroad and become a millionaire, but he didnt. And he wasnt paid highly by any means by Rangers.

Rangers was his club, and he was just happy to play for Rangers. Plus he was a Gentleman.

This is a video of him talking. At 4.37, this is the day he had the brain heamoraige and collapsed.

The other guys thought he was joking, having a laugh. Obviously, he wasnt :(

http://media.putfile.com/Davie-Cooper-1956--1995

you got it in one coop (tu) - makes me sad just reading this thread as it brings back memories of my dad too (died same day)

will never forget that free kick either -was at Hampden that day and you knew the ball was going straight into the net - keeper never moved - got to see Cooper many times and he was a genius - great player.

One of my first Rangers games was the one against Tampre in Europe when he skinned about 4 of them crossed to Fleck, and ran towards the crowd before the ball hit the net. I was young but i will never forget that.

One of my first Rangers games was the one against Tampre in Europe when he skinned about 4 of them crossed to Fleck, and ran towards the crowd before the ball hit the net. I was young but i will never forget that.

i was at that game too - pure class

He was amazing billy. He was a great player, who stuck through the bad years at Rangers in the early + mid 80's.

He could easily have went abroad and become a millionaire, but he didnt. And he wasnt paid highly by any means by Rangers.

Rangers was his club, and he was just happy to play for Rangers. Plus he was a Gentleman.

This is a video of him talking. At 4.37, this is the day he had the brain heamoraige and collapsed.

The other guys thought he was joking, having a laugh. Obviously, he wasnt :(

http://media.putfile.com/Davie-Cooper-1956--1995

F**ks sake man, what are you doing putting videos like that up, I'm nearly greeting here. Just listening to him talk about how he loved Rangers & had no regrets brings a lump to my throat. But honestly this is what a real legend is. The word legend is used too easily these days. No-one will ever come close to Davie. I started going to see Rangers around 1978/79 & I had the big flyaway collar home top, with Cooper 11 on the back. Saw him many times & still love the guy. Yes your Laudrups & co were fantastic players, but no-one will ever touch Davie. :unionflag:

It is hard to watch mac, I find it difficult. But its a reminder of a man and a player who wanted and was just happy to play for Rangers, regardless of financial gain. He certainly was never paid well by Rangers.

I would do anything to have Coop back in the team, playing at his best :(

Pretty much my earliest Gers memory is Coopers free kick in the skol cup final.

We always seemed to be in the skol cup final round about then, it was the only sunday of the year i didnt have to go to sunday school because the game was on the telly!

Cooper - Legend.

It is hard to watch mac, I find it difficult. But its a reminder of a man and a player who wanted and was just happy to play for Rangers, regardless of financial gain. He certainly was never paid well by Rangers.

I would do anything to have Coop back in the team, playing at his best :(

Spot on Coop. I still can't believe he's not with us. If you want a definition of the word legend look no further than Davie Cooper.