Goldson

MacBoyd

5 minutes ago, MacBoyd said:

Maybe not so much today as it was a good goal but he cannot handle their striker, he should be in his last season.

Seriously what was he meant to do with that goal today?!? The turnover in possession killed us but Goldson faced Kyogo up and forced him wider. Sometimes you just have to put your hands up and say it was a good finish…

1 minute ago, rossco87 said:

Seriously what was he meant to do with that goal today?!? The turnover in possession killed us but Goldson faced Kyogo up and forced him wider. Sometimes you just have to put your hands up and say it was a good finish…

I know man but he done him first half. We need better

Ha - if it’s the same one I am thinking of just watched it back when looking at the highlights to try and figure out who was to blame for loosing possession in the lead up to the 2nd.

Kyogo does get through but TBF Balogun fucks the offside trap and Goldson does a decent job of keeping Kyogo wide and forcing him to take a shot on from a tight angle.

BTW I am actually with you that medium to long term I think we need to be finding his replacement (and Balogun). He is now 31 and is starting to pick up some knocks after playing a ridiculous amount of games for us. Just think of all the issues we had today Goldson was not one of them.

Feels harsh to single him out but can’t be denied that he’s part of the group that’s been here too long now and suffered mega scar tissue against them. It’s far too gone now and that group of players won’t ever have the mentality to break it. Worryingly we already have newer players failing into the same trap ie Cantwell. 

A few months ago I would have chased the old guard out myself. 

However slightly changed my opinion on that, esp towards Goldson. 

Goldson has been the best CB at the club for years now. It's time we concentrated on making him the Second best CB at the club before we even consider getting shot of him. 

Every time he is out the team we struggle and he's not really had a decent class CB partner since Helander/Balogun (first time) 

I think Clement will stick with Goldson and going by the fact he swaps and changes his partner and seems to see an over the hill Balogun as the best pairing, I think that will be addressed sooner rather than later.  

9 hours ago, rossco87 said:

Get closer to him and quicker. Don’t stand off him, allow him to turn and allow him to hit it from distance. Simple basics of defending.

Wonderfully hit strike. As the manager said world class but for me if Goldson is touch tight or closing down immediately he can’t shoot and there is no goal.

Balogun as culpable for Kyogo goal as Goldson.

For me Goldson remains our best CH. Come summer the order I'd be moving CHs out the door would be Balogun, Davies, King, Souttar, Goldson.

I'd have no issues moving him on and bringing in better, but not if we keep those nowhere near as good as him.

4 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Balogun as culpable for Kyogo goal as Goldson.

For me Goldson remains our best CH. Come summer the order I'd be moving CHs out the door would be Balogun, Davies, King, Souttar, Goldson.

I'd have no issues moving him on and bringing in better, but not if we keep those nowhere near as good as him.

This is the biggest problem of all though when our best CH isn’t very good himself.

22 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

This is the biggest problem of all though when our best CH isn’t very good himself.

And why I'd have no issues with him being improved on. Though I'd say for our level he is good, arguably only CCV in Scotland is better or are there others?

But if you have 10 good players and 10 shite ones and limited finances would you get rid of the better or worst ones first? 

Had the complete opposite take. Thought Goldson defended really well.

Their XG was 0.7 which is the lowest they’ve had against us since 55 season.

We lost a goal to a Sima brain fart and a Balogun wonder/great finish.

If others did their job that’s a clean sheet at the hardest place to go.

Our goals conceded tally is one of the best aspects of our season.

The problem is the other end where yet again we rely on our right back to score. We’re averaging half a goal a game less than last season.

Goldson is the least of our worries behind Butland.

42 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

And why I'd have no issues with him being improved on. Though I'd say for our level he is good, arguably only CCV in Scotland is better or are there others?

But if you have 10 good players and 10 shite ones and limited finances would you get rid of the better or worst ones first? 

I do see your point but when these games could be the difference between winning a title or not and our best CH is the wrong side of 30 and consistently shown that he struggles to deal with their striker then he would be high on my list of players that need replacing.

3 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

I do see your point but when these games could be the difference between winning a title or not and our best CH is the wrong side of 30 and consistently shown that he struggles to deal with their striker then he would be high on my list of players that need replacing.

He didn't really struggle to deal with Kyogo yesterday. Kyogo had one shot on target and scored from 22 yards. Yes I think he could have closed him down quicker but that goal for me is more fantastic CF play than bad defending (which Balogun contributed to too).

Goldson cost us 3m. Ccv cost them 7. That's what better quality costs. We've both signed others for more than Goldson who are far worse.

Seeing Goldson as the problem and him needing replaced when we're skint and others contribute less is baffling to me.

Maybe if we'd 30m to spend I'd be looking at his position too, but we don't and that's why I feel we've bigger issues than our best CH.

33 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

He didn't really struggle to deal with Kyogo yesterday. Kyogo had one shot on target and scored from 22 yards. Yes I think he could have closed him down quicker but that goal for me is more fantastic CF play than bad defending (which Balogun contributed to too).

Goldson cost us 3m. Ccv cost them 7. That's what better quality costs. We've both signed others for more than Goldson who are far worse.

Seeing Goldson as the problem and him needing replaced when we're skint and others contribute less is baffling to me.

Maybe if we'd 30m to spend I'd be looking at his position too, but we don't and that's why I feel we've bigger issues than our best CH.

Dessers cost more than Kyogo…