Rebrov warns Pavlyuchenko

essexloyal

Former Spurs forward Sergei Rebrov has issued a despicable racist rant to Tottenham's new striker Roman Pavlyuchenko.

When asked, by a Russian journalist, how Pavlyuchenko should adapt to British life, the former Ukraine forward Rebrov said: 'A lot of dark skinned people lived near White Hart Lane so the crime rate was high.'

He also claimed that if Pavlyuchenko didn't want to be a 'robbery victim' he should avoid walking around the area close to the Spurs ground.

Rebrov, who was widely panned as a flop during his time at Spurs between 2000-2004, made his astonishing claims to Football Weekly magazine.

His comments are sure to provoke widespread criticism, not least from those that live in the north London communities in and around Tottenham.

He said: 'I wouldn't go for a walk on my own around White Hart Lane.

'A lot of dark skinned people live there. So naturally the crime rate is higher than anywhere else.

'It's not nice to be a robbery victim. So I suggest that Roman doesn't walk but drives around that area.'

Pavlyuchenko is expected to join his new club Tottenham on Thursday after playing for the Russian national team in their World Cup qualifier against Wales.

In the same article, ex-Fulham midfielder Alexei Smertin said: 'Of course there are districts where Roman shouldn't go on his own.

'The first place that springs to mind is Croydon. It's populated with predominantly low income folks. But I can't see why Roman should find himself there - it's quite far from the Tottenham area.'

Russian newspaper Sovetski Sport sent journalist Andrei Lyalin to check out the Tottenham area.

Lyalin told his readers: 'Seven Sisters tube station is just ten minutes ride from the centre of London. I got out there and it occurred to me that the area looked as English as the ar****l team.

'Broken windows of sooty brick houses, dirty shops selling cheap fruits and vegetables at every corner, immigrant teenage gangs on bikes.'

He added that he was glad it was daylight when he went to the area, saying: 'Otherwise I would lose in the district much more than the £60 a black marketeer charged me for a ticket behind one of the goals.'

LOL

Got to admit - the fellas not far wrong !!!!!!!!

Have you actually lived there? I lived there for a year and never saw one incident. I lived in Edmonton and it was quiet compared to Enfield Town where it was the local white boys that caused all the bother.

The town I came from in Scotland meanwhile had fights in the pubs every Friday and Saturday night. Guys from the nearby towns would come down nearly every night looking for fights.

Yes i have lived there mate and still do some work in the area, I think its a bit lost in translation which makes the interview funny reading.

THFC players prolly stopped walking around the streets of Tottenham 25 years ago. LOL

I was out and about at 4am sunday morning in Tottenham High Road and the 'dark skinned' people are far outnumbered by the eastern europeans. They are the only ones who caused us any problems.

Living and working in Tottenham/Edmonton you realise that it is the Turks, Kurds and Albanians who cause the most problems with a few Somalians thrown in for good measure !

And getting robbed is the least of your worries !

There's more crime in "enriched" areas for sure.Look at govanhill or brixton in london or detriot in the us wherever.

he might of been a bit crude in his choice of words but his facts aren't way off the mark at all.Fair play to the lad for having the balls to say what he thinks. :unionflag:

It's a pretty well known fact that a lot of folk in the Eastern Bloc - Ukraine, Russia etc are notoriously racist.

This isn't anything new.

You not think badly about Ukraine! <_<

Danny's not far off the truth, if we're all being honest about it.

He is just saying what everyone else thinks. There are plenty immigrant gangs etc in the inner cities everywhere though, not just London.

If he moved to Glasgow he would be advised not to walk about the middle of Sighthill etc. in the evening for obvious reasons