_________________ Davis ______ Mendes ________ Thomson________________

____________________________Ferguson____________________________

________________________ Boyd ________ Lafferty ______________________

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It could really be a case of horses for courses.

Ferguson should really have to bide his time and wait but we know he will be straight in the team on Saturday.

But to be honest (no offence here) your going down the Walter Smith route of trying to accomodate everyone instead of making some harsh choices. It's a case of a or b ... you can't have both.

The minute an opposing manager gets a whiff of our team sheet being like that he'll simply alter his with a couple of pacy players on thier wings and the amount of times they will find themselfs one on one with Broadfoot and Papac and getting to the byeline will be frightening.

John, I wouldn't have Ferguson straight back in the team but we KNOW Walter will put him straight back in.

That team is not one I would like to see, what I mean is that could be a team Walter will go with. If I was manager I'd go 4-4-2 every game but with Walter in charge you never know what he's gonna do next.

We must go 4 3 3 in my opinion to allow our best players to play together.

-------------------------------M'gregor------------------------------

Broadfoot----------Bougherra------Weir-----------Papac-------

----------Davis------------Ferguson----------Mendes----------

--------Novo---------------Lafferty------------Miller--------------

This is the side i would go with as it has a good balance of experience, pace, creativity and energy. Lafferty also offers a bit of height in attack as i think he's wasted on the wing.

The front three could work just as well with other personell such as Boyd, Velicka, Burke, Darcheville, Naismith, Niguez. Although i have them in specific positions on paper, i have chosen those particular 3 front players due to their combination of being able to play in several roles and their energy and workrate.

Im convinced they have the tools to stretch defences especially backed up by such a strong midfield.

_________________________McGregor____________________

Captain K________Bougherra_________Weir___________Papac

_______________Thomson__________Mendes_______________

________________________Ferguson______________________

Davis_________________________________Novo/Miller/Lafferty

_________________________Boyd________________________

Ferguson behind the front two is something I don't want to see.

I don't think you can play Davis, Mendes, Ferguson and Thomson - you certainly can't in a 4-4-2 and I don't want to see us resort to 4-5-1/4-2-3-1....

So who drops out, Thomson? That means you take the balance that he brings to the side away. People say he picks up too many booking and doesn't get forward enough - well he's only picked up two bookings this season(I think) and has 3 assists - thats more than Mendes!

I'd keep it the way it is until we go through a bad run of results or pick up injuries/suspensions or loss of form to the other three.

I don't think you can play Davis, Mendes, Ferguson and Thomson - you certainly can't in a 4-4-2 and I don't want to see us resort to 4-5-1/4-2-3-1....

So who drops out, Thomson? That means you take the balance that he brings to the side away. People say he picks up too many booking and doesn't get forward enough - well he's only picked up two bookings this season(I think) and has 3 assists - thats more than Mendes!

I'd keep it the way it is until we go through a bad run of results or pick up injuries/suspensions or loss of form to the other three.

So you don't want a 20 goal a season Ferguson. You want I'll score the odd goal every two years Ferguson?

Ferguson has to be the attacking midfielder. Mendes will do Fergusons role last year, take the ball and spread it about, and link up with Ferguson.

So you don't want a 20 goal a season Ferguson. You want I'll score the odd goal every two years Ferguson?

Ferguson has to be the attacking midfielder. Mendes will do Fergusons role last year, take the ball and spread it about, and link up with Ferguson.

No - that's not what he's all about. He'll never score 20 goals a season if he played in that role!

I'd rather he didn't play at all tbh.

Complete waste of Mendes.

Barry playing as an attacking player is a square peg in a round hole.

And he was played in that role for all of last season. Did he even make double figures in the league? I'm sure he only got 9, with 3 of those in the first 3 games.

The reason Ferguson got 20 odd goals during the treble season was down to the fact he had de Boer, Mols, Arveladze, Cannigia etc playing in front of him.

Players with great link up play and awareness.

Was he not also on the penalties that season aswell - scored quite a few of them?

Yip, penalties and free kicks.

I'm sure he stopped the penalties after he missed 2 in the same game away to Dundee.

No - that's not what he's all about. He'll never score 20 goals a season if he played in that role!

I'd rather he didn't play at all tbh.

He already has!

Was he not also on the penalties that season aswell - scored quite a few of them?

Yip, penalties and free kicks.

I'm sure he stopped the penalties after he missed 2 in the same game away to Dundee.

(tu)

That's the 2-2 game when we had 3 penalties and Arteta scored a late penalty.