The Rangers Fan of 2008 is a strange breed and one I often fail to recognise

Tontospal

They also had close links with the Ayrshire coalfield villages, but we can't say the club has an Ayrshire idenity.

Links ? So we were close to sausages at one time then ? :sherlock:

We were utter mince for several years when i was a lad!

Ah the mince years, we had some doughballs playin for us then ! :sherlock:

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They also had close links with the Ayrshire coalfield villages, but we can't say the club has an Ayrshire idenity.

It really was Hells Kitchen every Saturday at 3.

[collapses & dies onstage a la Tommy Cooper, feet sticking out from under curtains]

Well I am being honest.

I don't know exactly what Ure Primroses' influence on the Club was.

IIRC he became 'Club Patron' in 1888 and Chairman in 1912.

Given his high profile in Orangeism/ Unionism it seems to me that the Club must have been at least leaning that way by 1888.

Can anyone provide evidence to the contrary?

Well obviously you can never prove a negative and nobody is required to provide evidence to counter any claim. While I wouldn't be surprised if Rangers were leaning that way by the time he became chairman, there is no evidence that Rangers were linked to Orangeism/ Unionism, or regarded as a 'Protestant club', before the formation of Celtic.

That depends whatinterpretation you put on Ure Primrose's appointment as Club Patron.

It can be argued that it is such evidence, although clearly not proof.

You could argue that but, it would be evidence that is circumstantial, to put it mildly, and flimsy in the extreme. You could argue by that rationale that we started as a Liberal club as two of our early patrons were members (MP's?) of the Liberal Party. Or how about a gay influence from the Marquis of Lorne?

I believe that the very Catholic/Irish repuplican mindset of our rivals had already been well established well before 1914.

They were already referred to in the press as "the Irishmen" by the turn of the century and a source of much humour by press cartoonists.

Scotland looked for a vehicle to express the identity of the Protestant Scot.....Rangers were that vehicle.

I believe all this happened well before 1914.

Rangers played friendlies against Bohemians F.C. in Dublin during 1910 and 1911. While that is yet more circumstantial evidence, it does suggest that there was not an overriding anti-Irish feeling about the club at that time.

Ah Ayrshire....

A trip to Killie, the pies are always good.

But the football's mince.

My dads a killie fan, tells me about that award they won for best pies one year.

I said thats all they've won for 10 years :pipe:

Bloody good pie though.

I believe that the very Catholic/Irish repuplican mindset of our rivals had already been well established well before 1914.

They were already referred to in the press as "the Irishmen" by the turn of the century and a source of much humour by press cartoonists.

Scotland looked for a vehicle to express the identity of the Protestant Scot.....Rangers were that vehicle.

I believe all this happened well before 1914.

Rangers played friendlies against Bohemians F.C. in Dublin during 1910 and 1911. While that is yet more circumstantial evidence, it does suggest that there was not an overriding anti-Irish feeling about the club at that time.

whats your point caller.

[collapses & dies onstage a la Tommy Cooper, feet sticking out from under curtains]

Just like that ! ;):sherlock:

Just like that ! ;):sherlock:

... a bit like this thread - its time has come! Goodbye Thread!