*** The Official PreMatch Analysis***

nvager

Inverness Caley Thistle vs Rangers at Caledonian Stadium, Inverness, Sunday January 4th, 2008. Kick-Off 12:30 PM

Back again to SPL business after a disastrous loss at Ibrox to Celtic FC. This time we return to Inverness at the holidays. For some unknown reason this is becoming a regular fixture.

It is sad, but at the beginning of a new year we find ourselves trailing Celtic by 7 points at the top of the SPL. We have 43 points from 20 games compared to their 50 points, but do have a better goal difference of +28 versus their +27. Do we deserve better? Frankly no. We have come up with too many poor performances recently. Since Thomson was injured and Barry returned we have given away far too many points. Losses to St. Mirren, Hearts and Celtic and draws with Dundee United twice and Motherwell have meant that any advantage from beating Celtic at Parkhead was quickly thrown away.

Once again Rangers look in poor shape heading into the New Year. All the advantages gained since Walter took over seem to have just slipped away. The level of player seems extremely average apart from literally three or four. Purchases that once looked promising now look rather poor.

We appear to have too many players off form and too many playing out of position. It would also appear that McGregor and Barry Ferguson were both brought back into the first team too soon after serious injury. We may do the same now with Naismith.

We have no width and when in trouble or chasing a goal, the ball is cleared/punted quickly from defence to attack and we just miss out the midfield. With no wingers we struggle to break down defences and our full backs struggle going forward. Our crossing is poor and our work at dead ball situations/corners are a joke. We cannot even find our own men regularly at throw-ins!

We struggle at most away games. We come out flat in the first half often. St. Mirren and Hearts are good examples of this. ICT are one of three bottom teams with only 17 points (Falkirk and Hamilton being the other two.) Their goal difference is a sad -14. We should easily beat them. On paper that is. Surely after the Celtic game we should be out to really beat them. Let's wait and see.

As stated above we need width. Surely Aaron or Beasley must be given a try? Burke anyone?

Well I give up second guessing Walter. He must surely know something is amiss. Will Aaron ever be given a start and similarly Lafferty up front?

Will Bougherra ever play for us again? I am hopeful but not totally convinced. What will happen to Whittaker, McCulloch and Adam? Are they good enough?

Lots of problems. Too few sound answers. On top of everything else Miller's form has shaded badly this past three weeks.

So who does Walter start vs ICT?

My team would be McGregor, Broadfoot, Bougherra, Weir, Papac, Davis, Mendes, Edu, Aaron, Boyd and Lafferty.

Not Walter's choice I am sure, but gives us strength where we need it and some flair. Barry to me is still not fit and Miller has lost form or is injured.

More than anything else we need an attitude. The proper professional attitude and determination to succeed - a great will to win.

My prediction is ICT 1 - 3 Rangers.