Don't quit Rangers for another crack at Premiership, Boyd urges Barry Ferguson

chris_glasgow

Don't quit Rangers for another crack at Premiership, Boyd urges Barry Ferguson

Jan 5 2009 By Euan McArthur

KRIS BOYD last night pleaded with skipper Barry Ferguson to think twice about any possible return to the English Premiership.

The Ibrox captain has been linked with a s4million transfer-window switch to Newcastle but Boyd, whose brace in a 3-0 win at Inverness yesterday revived Rangers' title hopes after champions Celtic slipped up the previous day at home to Dundee United, has asked Ferguson not to quit Govan for a second crack at the big-time down south.

Ferguson returned to Ibrox from an unhappy, injury-blighted spell at Blackburn five years ago and Boyd hopes his Light Blues team-mate will not be tempted by any prospective transfer-window bid over the next few weeks. Boyd said: "We know in this market everyone has his price and whatever happens happens - that's the way football is But I'm sure Barry wants to stay here and play his football with Rangers.

"He has left the club once before and didn't particularly enjoy his time down south. Now he's enjoying it and he's back to being the player he once was.

"We don't want to lose him and I'm sure the manager won't want to lose him either because he's such a huge influence on the team."

Walter Smith's men went into yesterday's match amid reports Ferguson and fit-again defender Madjid Bougherra are on the radar of top English clubs.

And although the visitors needed time to settle before Pedro Mendes' quickfire strike seconds into the second half, Boyd insisted the speculation had not upset their pre-match preparations.

He said:"All we were focused on beforehand was going and winning this game.We couldn't let anything distract us.

"Inverness made it difficult for us in the first half and all credit to them for doing so. They've been struggling recently but still came out and had a go. When we got in at half time we had a chat and basically knew we had to do better.

"The message at the break was that a few of us would be coming off if we didn't improve in the first 15 minutes after the break. And it was a great goal from Pedro that set us up to go on and win."

Boyd took his tally for the season to an impressive 20 as he punished the Caley Thistle defence with two late strikes. However, the hitman insisted his goal haul is of secondary importance in their quest to catch Celtic in the title race.

He said: "I'm obviously delighted with the number of goals I've scored so far but the bottom line is we are still five points behind Celtic which isn't good.

"We need to go again when the league resumes after the Scottish Cup and get ourselves back within touching distance of Celtic.

"I was pleased with my goals but at the other end Allan McGregor was just as important. He made world-class saves and the one just prior to our second goal proved how important he is to our team."

Smith insisted Rangers had received no approach from Newcastle for Ferguson despite claims by Toon gaffer Joe Kinnear.

Boss Smith said: "It's a strange one. As far as my chairman, my chief executive and myself are concerned there has been no contact from Newcastle or any other club. All the speculation is a little bit disappointing.

"I've said it before and I'll make it quite clear that the players who would like to leave this club are players who are unhappy at not playing and that's what we have to adjust to more than anything else.

It's got nothing to do with players who are actually playing in the team.

"As a manager, I can have no influence over what any club might want to bid for any of our players.

That was the case with Alan Hutton and every club is in that situation.

"What football manager can say nowadays that if a club comes along and makes a bid for one of your players you can't consider it?

"That's what we did last season with Hutton. If anyone comes in and asks us we will give them an answer.

But so far the only offer we've got is for Alan Gow from Wolves."

Smith revealed how a half-time rollicking inspired his side for their second half demolition job.

He said: "The last half-hour of the first half was poor and I think everyone was made aware of the fact we had to lift our performance.

"We managed to do that almost straight away in the second half and that helped set the tone for what was to follow, which was much better from our point of view."

"Now he's enjoying it and he's back to being the player he once was."

How gullable does he think we are? That's almost as bad as McCulloch's comments about having unfinished business at Ibrox.

"Now he's enjoying it and he's back to being the player he once was."

How gullable does he think we are? That's almost as bad as McCulloch's comments about having unfinished business at Ibrox.

As the old saying goes..."Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Hopefully the majority see this for what it is (tu)

"The message at the break was that a few of us would be coming off if we didn't improve in the first 15 minutes after the break. And it was a great goal from Pedro that set us up to go on and win."

:lol: It worked

I told you walter said if they don't get their arses in gear Adam and McCulloch would be taking their places :craphead:

"Didnt take long"

Seriously, why the hell do people get upset at team mates sticking up for each other, and showing belief in the team? I know that concept seems to be alien to a lot of fans at the moment, but, jesus at least the team is doing it.

Sometimes I think people would prefer if Smith and the players came out and said, "well, we are all pish, forget about winning anything, maybe next year"

"Didnt take long"

Seriously, why the hell do people get upset at team mates sticking up for each other, and showing belief in the team? I know that concept seems to be alien to a lot of fans at the moment, but, jesus at least the team is doing it.

Sometimes I think people would prefer if Smith and the players came out and said, "well, we are all pish, forget about winning anything, maybe next year"

:lol: True

Boyd's just worried that this years xmas night out kitty will be down on last years without his boozer mate Bazza putting the captains share in. :beer1:

Either that or with Barry gone he fears he wouldn't be a regular starter anymore. :shifty:

"Didnt take long"

But he's not talking about the team, he's regaling hysterically over one player. One player who it's clear to see isn't what Boyd is claiming.

Truth is the 'didn't take long' concept is aimed at what is seen as a clique inside Rangers, and a very powerful one at that, which contains Ferguson, Boyd, McGregor, Adam and McCulloch in particular with the manager vaguely too.

So if one of them has some 'negative' press then you can bet your buck teeth another one of their hauners within said clique will show up to back them up. For Ferguson see Boyd - and when Adam was linked away Smith supported him too, suggesting he's done a job for us and can continue to do so.

I'm not against team mates supporting one another, but I don't remember Boyd doing this when all the speculation about Bougherra and Mendes surfaced?

Indeed, Bougherra has been linked away for a month and Boyd never said a word.

Soon as Barry is he's almost in tears.

Barry Ferguson know's himself that a move to the Premiership would be the wrong one - he's be shown up completely!

he played very well for Rovers whenever a seen him play

(tu) I'd love to see him back at that standard.

"Didnt take long"

But he's not talking about the team, he's regaling hysterically over one player. One player who it's clear to see isn't what Boyd is claiming.

Truth is the 'didn't take long' concept is aimed at what is seen as a clique inside Rangers, and a very powerful one at that, which contains Ferguson, Boyd, McGregor, Adam and McCulloch in particular with the manager vaguely too.

So if one of them has some 'negative' press then you can bet your buck teeth another one of their hauners within said clique will show up to back them up. For Ferguson see Boyd - and when Adam was linked away Smith supported him too, suggesting he's done a job for us and can continue to do so.

I'm not against team mates supporting one another, but I don't remember Boyd doing this when all the speculation about Bougherra and Mendes surfaced?

Very dramatically put young man! ;)

The point is, which of the following scenarios most likely happened here (and in most of these interviews)

1 - Boyd called the press and said, "please speak to me and write an article, Barry might be leaving"

2 - The press, knowing he was a friend of his, called and said "What do you think about the possibility of Ferguson leaving?"

Really? When Cousin and JCD were linked with moves away, Hemdani came out of mothballs to give opinions, because he was closer to them. If someone you worked with, and were close to was leaving, wouldnt YOU be a bit down about it?

Then again, lets just go with the whole "dangerous clique bad for Rangers", running to the press attitude that is going on, rather than the grasp of actual reality.

"Didnt take long"

The point is, which of the following scenarios most likely happened here (and in most of these interviews)

1 - Boyd called the press and said, "please speak to me and write an article, Barry might be leaving"

2 - The press, knowing he was a friend of his, called and said "What do you think about the possibility of Ferguson leaving?"

Really? When Cousin and JCD were linked with moves away, Hemdani came out of mothballs to give opinions, because he was closer to them. If someone you worked with, and were close to was leaving, wouldnt YOU be a bit down about it?

Then again, lets just go with the whole "dangerous clique bad for Rangers", running to the press attitude that is going on, rather than the grasp of actual reality.

The actual grasp of reality has seen, in the last 5 months, regular press from the 5 individuals I've mentioned.

There have been occasional pieces from others like Davis, Mendes et al, but if you seriously think there's no familiar group inside Ibrox who use the press a hell of a lot more than the rest, and who appear to have an agenda with it, then that would seem to be your version of grasping onto reality ;)

This is is as much about it being the same group of about 5 of them who regularly talk to the press as it is about Boyd specifically backing up Ferguson and not Bougherra.

"Didnt take long"

The actual grasp of reality has seen, in the last 5 months, regular press from the 5 individuals I've mentioned.

There have been occasional pieces from others like Davis, Mendes et al, but if you seriously think there's no familiar group inside Ibrox who use the press a hell of a lot more than the rest, and who appear to have an agenda with it, then that would seem to be your version of grasping onto reality ;)

This is is as much about it being the same group of about 5 of them who regularly talk to the press as it is about Boyd specifically backing up Ferguson and not Bougherra.

Perhaps they are asked more?

Seriously, its no a surprise, they are all close, and, most countries press will prefer to talk to their "own". One is club captain, one the clubs top scorer, so, the press will want to talk to them more, and, perhaps the club encourages this.

Its the implication that they are using the press that doesnt sit well with me, along with the fact that we are generally looking for there to be more to everything

Perhaps Boyd wasnt asked about majic? Could be as simple as that

"Didnt take long"

Perhaps they are asked more?

Seriously, its no a surprise, they are all close, and, most countries press will prefer to talk to their "own". One is club captain, one the clubs top scorer, so, the press will want to talk to them more, and, perhaps the club encourages this.

Its the implication that they are using the press that doesnt sit well with me, along with the fact that we are generally looking for there to be more to everything

Perhaps Boyd wasnt asked about majic? Could be as simple as that

McGregor DEFINITELY used the press last summer. No two ways about that.

As for Boyd not being asked, stop being so boring :P