60 Years Ago Today

Sequimur

On 22 January 1949 in a Scottish Cup first round tie at Ibrox the Iron Curtain was pierced by Johnny Logie of Elgin City a lifelong Rangers fan scoring the City goal in Rangers' 6 - 1 victory.

Big deal? Not really except for Johnny, the rest of his team and Elgin supporters but no one else could do it it until Clyde in the final won 4 - 1 by Rangers.

My uncle Billy played for Elgin when they played Rangers at Ibrox in 76/77. We had tickets but apparently i had the flu that day and couldn't go (aka my dad wanted a fucking good blooter with his mates....bastard!). Elgin only lost 3-0 that day i think.

Not that i was bitter about missing out........

My uncle Billy played for Elgin when they played Rangers at Ibrox in 76/77. We had tickets but apparently i had the flu that day and couldn't go (aka my dad wanted a fucking good blooter with his mates....bastard!). Elgin only lost 3-0 that day i think.

think I was at that game..i was lookin for ya!

Bobby Brown, George Young, Jock Shaw, Ian McColl, Willie Woodburn and Sammy Cox.

Damn...

Some GREAT players mentioned there. If we had that defence today there would be no question about us winning the league.

absolute lies. How times have changed in football no old players could hack it in this day and age am afraid. GREAT players in there day and they will always be rememebred for that.

Bobby Brown, George Young, Jock Shaw, Ian McColl, Willie Woodburn and Sammy Cox.

Damn...

Some GREAT players mentioned there. If we had that defence today there would be no question about us winning the league.

absolute lies. How times have changed in football no old players could hack it in this day and age am afraid. GREAT players in there day and they will always be rememebred for that.

some would have no problem..brown yes,young shaw prob too slow,ian mccoll willie wood burn at central defence no prob,sammy cox would make a good hard c.mid.no none would take the piss from him.two modern full backs and we would be ok. i agree with the sentiment of diff game now but in their case no prob..

think I was at that game..i was lookin for ya!

I was the wee boy in the blue scarf, sobbing his wee heart out 170 miles away! ;)

Brown, Young and Shaw wouldn't have made it today but the other three trained up and kitted out would be stand-outs. In fact they'd have been transferred out for mega bucks.

White Van - was it your uncle Wizzy or your uncle Billy? Big respect if it were either of those two, but was Wizzy not really a Clacher at heart?