Why are foreign players better?

outlaw69uk

Has been bugging me for a while this one, and, I include the NI guys here too. It applies to management as well.

Keep hearing "aaron must play" etc. Well, Aaron plays in the same positions as Fleck does, so, what makes Aaron better? Surely we should be saying Fleck must play? or Naismith, who also has more experience

We get interviews, by a Scottish player its "same old pish", yet, by another player, usually a foreign lad, its "good interview".

Boyd needs to be dropped, yet, Lafferty, qualified as a stupid, waste of money purcase, is now "fans choice" for an old firm game?

McCulloch played v Milan, in a manner that was pretty much faultless, yet, cant lace Hemdanis boots, yet, both players fail to perform in the SPL.

These are just a few of the examples, so, why are foreign players better?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There not better, problem is a lot of them are classed as pish because they get played out of position, yet the majority of the foreign players we've played them in their proper position.

McCulloch is classed as giving away too many stupid free kicks, the reason why Hemdani doesn't is that he doesn't tackle?

Lafferty has shown for NI that he is better being played as a striker, I personally wonder if he and Boyd could play together, but physically he does appear to bring something more to the game than Boyd, and is an unknown element with regards to being a striker, I think if Boyd had been sold then Lafferty would have played his position.

As for the press, totally agree!

I have been calling for Aaron to be played all season, the majority shot me down. Yet he comes on against Milan and all of a sudden is in the majorty of people's starting 11 and some even asked if he should replace Fleck - which I found embarrassing.

I don't judge any player on a friendly and I don't know how anyone can - McCulloch played ok against Milan, a few weeks ago he was no better than average at Pittodrie. He got caught out of position, gave the ball away anf committed far too many fouls.

Kenny Miller has been awful for 16 games on the bounce, Kris Boyd's performances have also been poor. In the last few matches, Lafferty has been played well. He's probably the best option upfront at this moment in time, especially against celtc. Miller and Boyd have been given a fair chance, now it should be Lafferty's turn.

Steven Davis has not been doing it recently for me, his performances are not consistant enough....I think some of that it down to him playing out of position.

To me, it doesn't matter where the player is from, but you tend to get more bad performances from the Scottish players, especially the current ones - Broadfoot, Whittaker, Ferguson, Boyd, Miller....

You're basing the McCulloch thing on one match.

McCulloch, in the DM role, can't lace Hemdani's boots. Never would have been able to and never will.

No, just an example, he was criticised by some for his performance after that match, whereas, I doubt the same would have happend with BH.

lol, I dont like the guy, then again, I have no time for Hemdani either, I prefer a DM to actually tackle, hence why I miss Thomson so much. Hemdani looked terrible in the SPL, but decent in Europe, where there is plenty of time and space. Most players could manage to look good there.

Mendes seems to be exempt from criticism.Has had some anonymous games for us,when the likes of Ferguson can have an average game and gets lambasted for it.We are to hard on our own i think sometimes.

That would be because Mendes has actually put in numerous performances worthy of the shirt this season, while Ferguson (for £30,000 p/w) hasn't come anywhere close to that.

Lee McCulloch doesn't tackle either - he either jumps into a tackle (which he either gets away with or get's pulled up for) or completely gets skinned. I watched the game on Rangers TV the following night and it was a totally different performance than what I saw on an internet stream. Edu, McCulloch and Naismith were certainly not as good as some said and what I origianlly thought.

Hemdani is not the player to steam into a tackle and I bet had we had him in the team against Kaunas, instead of 'hide and seek', we would have gone through.

I have been calling for Aaron to be played all season, the majority shot me down. Yet he comes on against Milan and all of a sudden is in the majorty of people's starting 11 and some even asked if he should replace Fleck - which I found embarrassing.

I don't judge any player on a friendly and I don't know how anyone can - McCulloch played ok against Milan, a few weeks ago he was no better than average at Pittodrie. He got caught out of position, gave the ball away anf committed far too many fouls.

Kenny Miller has been awful for 16 games on the bounce, Kris Boyd's performances have also been poor. In the last few matches, Lafferty has been played well. He's probably the best option upfront at this moment in time, especially against celtc. Miller and Boyd have been given a fair chance, now it should be Lafferty's turn.

Steven Davis has not been doing it recently for me, his performances are not consistant enough....I think some of that it down to him playing out of position.

To me, it doesn't matter where the player is from, but you tend to get more bad performances from the Scottish players, especially the current ones - Broadfoot, Whittaker, Ferguson, Boyd, Miller....

I agree with that, but, remain unconvinced about him. He is def better than Charlie Adam, but, not Fleck. He does look like he can take a set piece though, which we need badly.

I agree Davis can be hit and miss, although, he has played the best part of a year at RM, and, I think he is just a player that blows hot and cold. He did it at the end of his loan spell with us. I think some see that we bought him from the EPL, and therefore we should be grateful to have him or something.

Not overly fussed about players fouling, I would far rather have that than us being completely bullied off the field, which is what happened before.

I think the thing is, the Scots lads, we are hyper critical of, lambasting every slightly over hit pass, or foul, whereas, this is ignored with the others

I would rather have home grown players, tbh.

You need both home grown and foreigners. Could you imagine taking out the likes of Bougherra, Papac, Mendes....and replacing them with the likes of McCulloch, Arfield, Wallace, Nielson, Severin, Kerr....we would be bloody awful!

I'd rather have quality than mediocre Scottish pish like we have, bar Fleck and McGregor.

Davis gets away with murder because he's a "loyal Ulsterman".

As for Lafferty, most fans could see he was being hung out to dry at left wing. He changed the game v. Utd. I would still like to see Aaron get a chance at left wing (Ally said he was our best option) so Fleck can play more centrally (his best position).

Hemdani was a good player for us, a much better than clogger lee.

You need both home grown and foreigners. Could you imagine taking out the likes of Bougherra, Papac, Mendes....and replacing them with the likes of McCulloch, Arfield, Wallace, Nielson, Severin, Kerr....we would be bloody awful!

I'd rather have quality than mediocre Scottish pish like we have, bar Fleck and McGregor.

Looking at it like that, I was wrong then.

I agree with that, but, remain unconvinced about him. He is def better than Charlie Adam, but, not Fleck. He does look like he can take a set piece though, which we need badly.

I agree Davis can be hit and miss, although, he has played the best part of a year at RM, and, I think he is just a player that blows hot and cold. He did it at the end of his loan spell with us. I think some see that we bought him from the EPL, and therefore we should be grateful to have him or something.

Not overly fussed about players fouling, I would far rather have that than us being completely bullied off the field, which is what happened before.

I think the thing is, the Scots lads, we are hyper critical of, lambasting every slightly over hit pass, or foul, whereas, this is ignored with the others

Tbh, I don't see both Fleck or Aaron as left sided players. I'd prefer them in a more central position but if it was a choice who was to play on the left, then I'd chose Fleck.

I think Davis is a much better and more consistant player when played in the middle - his time a Villa and with the national team prove this. Unfortunatley he's shunted out on the right to make way for a player who is finished and contributes next to nothing.

I like my players to put the boot in and I do not like being bullied about but there is a difference to putting the boot in and wining possession than putting the boot in and fouling the majority o the time - especially in the position McCulloch could play. It's an area of the park where you don't really want to be giving away too many fouls.

I criticise everyone no matter who they are - if they are not playing well, then they'll get it from me.

Mendes seems to be exempt from criticism.Has had some anonymous games for us,when the likes of Ferguson can have an average game and gets lambasted for it.We are to hard on our own i think sometimes.

That would be because Mendes has actually put in numerous performances worthy of the shirt this season, while Ferguson (for £30,000 p/w) hasn't come anywhere close to that.

But never a bad word spoken about him when he hasnt, herein lies the point of my thread. "we" generally ignore that fact, and, deflect the anger to another player.

I agree you do need some foreign flair, but i'd rather a good base of scottish players.

Watching Spurs v Gunners the other day, it was terrible that there were 3-4 brits out of the 22 playing, and from what i remember, NONE in the arsenal team.

I agree totally, but, I preferred it when the 3 foreigner rule was in place. We picked genuinely good foreigners. Now we seem to be getting back to the days after it was removed, with 2nd rate foreign players all over the place, which helps stagnate local talent

Tbh, I don't see both Fleck or Aaron as left sided players. I'd prefer them in a more central position but if it was a choice who was to play on the left, then I'd chose Fleck.

I think Davis is a much better and more consistant player when played in the middle - his time a Villa and with the national team prove this. Unfortunatley he's shunted out on the right to make way for a player who is finished and contributes next to nothing.

I like my players to put the boot in and I do not like being bullied about but there is a difference to putting the boot in and wining possession than putting the boot in and fouling the majority o the time - especially in the position McCulloch could play. It's an area of the park where you don't really want to be giving away too many fouls.

I criticise everyone no matter who they are - if they are not playing well, then they'll get it from me.

Thats true mate :pipe:

To an extent I agree about Ferguson, the problem we have is, CM is the only place in the squad we are, shall we say, very well covered! Ferguson is ok, but, Mendes plays in his position, as can/does Davis. Cant play them both for me. Thomson and Edu should be fighting it out for the holding role, and, Ferguson doesnt tackle. We have been going through a phase without a tackler in the team.

I think Fleck is just a better all round player, although if Aaron can be half as good as anyone in that Spain team the other night, then, good good

But never a bad word spoken about him when he hasnt, herein lies the point of my thread. "we" generally ignore that fact, and, deflect the anger to another player.

It's not true to say that Mendes doesn't get a bad word spoken about him. After the away game to Hamilton, for example, he was getting a bit of (deserved) flack. The criticism him and Ferguson get reflects how they perform, IMO.

I don't see many people defending non-Scottish players like Lafferty to ridiculous, irrational levels in the same way as they do with Ferguson and Boyd. Beasley's another foreigner who gets nothing but abuse, even after games when he plays well.

I agree totally, but, I preferred it when the 3 foreigner rule was in place.

(tu)

I think the team would be even worse than it is now!

I also can't think of any Scottish players I'd like from any clubs? James Morrison but we couldn't afford him, the rest are pish!

I don't think Mendes has actually had a really 'bad' game as such, and hence I haven't criticised him.

Mendes is a bit like pizza - even when he's bad, he's still pretty decent.

When Ferguson, Broadfoot, McCulloch, Adam or Whittaker are bad, they are absolutely murder and could quite easily cost us points at any time in a match.

I just don't think many of the Scottish players are good enough, McCulloch in particular. I was really unimpressed with his debut against Zeta and hes done nothing to change my opinion ever since, he's lazy but to add to that a terrible footballer. Just because he was reasonable against Aberdeen in the holding role doesn't mean he was good, if you want to see a good performance from a player in that role watch Brahim Hemdani in the Champions League last season.

I couldn't give a toss what the nationality of the likes of McCulloch, Adam and Whittaker are, they're poor footballers who have contributed next to nothing to us in the last year and a half yet keep getting picked by our manager (except Adam can't be picked now thank fuck). What does piss me off when we have a lot of Scots in the team is people who talk about how brilliant it is that Walter has brought in a lot of Scottish players, why does it matter? Scotland isn't producing as many good home grown players as they used to, hence why you need to turn to forgein players, to a lesser extent England isn't producing as many good home grown talents as they used too either.

I agree totally, but, I preferred it when the 3 foreigner rule was in place.

(tu)

We might have more than one good youngster in the youth teams, but under Smith we'll never know.

We usually line up with 6-9 Scottish players anyway!