Atlantic League V The Rest (facts)

I love the idea of the Atlantic League. Much more than playing in the Premiership TBH. But for me, there would have to be 4 divisions, so all premier league teams get in, cos if they don't, then too many teams will die. Also some sort of play-off system where all the winners of the national leagues play for the place of the one that's been relegated in the Atlantic League division 4.

This is a good idea but the reality is that smaller clubs wouldn't have the finances to participate in a North Atlantic League system. They would only be financially capable once they've grown within their own domestic set up. The Dundee clubs, for instance, are clubs that would not be able to participate right now, but with some domestic success and an increase in attendances and revenues, they 'would' be in a position to move up.

I did have another thought. and that was regards stadium size. If you've not got a 20,000 seater, then you shouldn't be in AL 1 and the cut off for AL 2 would have to be 15,000 or so. Clubs would need to invest in their overall infrastructure in order to get a place at the table...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rangers

Celtic

Hearts

Ajax

Feyenoord

PSV Eindhoven

Anderlecht

Club Brugge

Brondby

Malmo

Rosenborg

FC Copenhagen

FC Twente

Gothenburg

Braan Bergen

Standard Liège

Utrecht

Den Haag (Relegated)

Valareki (Relegated)

Lyngby (Relegated)

Hibs (Promoted)

Aberdeen (Promoted)

Dundee Utd (Play-Offs)

Heerenveen (Play-Offs)

Genk (Play-Offs)

AZ Alkmaar (Play-Offs)

Roda

Heerenveen

Helsinborg

Gothenburg

Odense

AaB

Molde

Tromso

Vitesse (Relegated)

Motherwell (Relegated)

Groningen (Relegated)

NEC (Relegated)

Rangers

Celtic

Hearts

Ajax

Feyenoord

PSV Eindhoven

Anderlecht

Club Brugge

Brondby

Malmo

Rosenborg

FC Copenhagen

FC Twente

Gothenburg

Braan Bergen

Standard Liège

Utrecht

Den Haag (Relegated)

Valareki (Relegated)

Lyngby (Relegated)

Hibs (Promoted)

Aberdeen (Promoted)

Dundee Utd (Play-Offs)

Heerenveen (Play-Offs)

Genk (Play-Offs)

AZ Alkmaar (Play-Offs)

Roda

Heerenveen

Helsinborg

Gothenburg

Odense

AaB

Molde

Tromso

Vitesse (Relegated)

Motherwell (Relegated)

Groningen (Relegated)

NEC (Relegated)

Looks good to me! Just goes to show how many decent teams are out there that would be a great league...

Could be wrong but wasnt Portugal mentioned when the idea was kicked around all those years ago? Benfica, Porto and Sporting are three massive clubs in a poor league.

Portugal - as well as Austria and Switzerland, that were mentioned earlier, would complicate it and be difficult as regards to travel. Also, when you look at the clubs already in the North Atlantic we wouldn't need them. Portugal wouldn't go for Summer football either.

Rangers

Celtic

Hearts

Ajax

Feyenoord

PSV Eindhoven

Anderlecht

Club Brugge

Brondby

Malmo

Rosenborg

FC Copenhagen

FC Twente

Gothenburg

Braan Bergen

Standard Liège

Utrecht

Den Haag (Relegated)

Valareki (Relegated)

Lyngby (Relegated)

Hibs (Promoted)

Aberdeen (Promoted)

Dundee Utd (Play-Offs)

Heerenveen (Play-Offs)

Genk (Play-Offs)

AZ Alkmaar (Play-Offs)

Roda

Heerenveen

Helsinborg

Gothenburg

Odense

AaB

Molde

Tromso

Vitesse (Relegated)

Motherwell (Relegated)

Groningen (Relegated)

NEC (Relegated)

Might have missed something but were do you go if you get relegated from AL2 ?

Also I don't agree if thats how you think the leagues would pan out ? Hearts ahead of Ajax ?

Something needs to be done for the bigger teams in the smaller countries - only real issue I have is that I LIKE scottish football and taking 5-6 teams out may destroy the likes of St Johnstone, Dundee, Falkirk etc. If we had (say) 6 teams in the AL and without it being a mess could the lowest team be relegated back to their own country league? (although even as I type that it sounds gash!)

We (us and THEM) are big fish in a small pond - but does the pond survive without us ?

Fuck the rest! they hate us and have done nothing but survive on our visits to keep afloat, Scottish football will survive without us but can we survive or should I say thrive so long as we are the dog being wagged by the tale.

Might have missed something but were do you go if you get relegated from AL2 ?

Also I don't agree if thats how you think the leagues would pan out ? Hearts ahead of Ajax ?

aye I've no put them in order, like I said after al2 go back to your national league and champions have playoffs to get promoted

A good point and not easy to overcome - especially the commitment thing. But where there's a will there's a way! People from Iceland come down here (Glasgow) on a Thursday to shop because they can save so much money - Glasgow and back on the same day. Icelandair provide the scheduled flight.

Supporters clubs would need to be well organised in chartering flights and (you're right) the airlines would need to do their bit - but that lot like bums on seats (it helps their share price!) and I think they would react to it and provide a sensibly priced service. Aberdeen and Inverness aren't exactly cheap on petrol and I think the lure of a beautiful summer's day in Stockholm, Amsterdam or Copenhagen would be very very appealing as opposed to a cold, wet and windy winter's night at McDiarmid Park!...

Thats true, but I would rather a 16 team league, play each other twice, 30 games rather than 38, 15 away games rather 19 would help.

And if the league was say, 10 months, 3 games a month, it would be do-able. We could arrange a few glamour friendlies like the one against Liverpool to get a few extra home games a year as well as possible European ties.

And I personally would love to have an excuse to go to the Dam once a year!

OK first post so go easy

my idea

6 countries supply 3 teams

each team must have a B team in their domestic league

at the end of the season bottom team in the AL gets relegated and goes back to their domestic league and their B team gets disbanded.

2nd and 3rd botom in the AL join the 6 champions from the domestic leagues (not inc B teams)and they form 2mini leagues of 4. winners qualify for AL both 2nd place teams play off for final AL place

this would give potential for 3 levels of season ticket AL, B team or AL +b

provide competitive football for our younger players

encourage investment for the rest of the spl with a chance of promotion bigger crowds because they have a chance of winning something

more sponsorship money,more tv money,better quality games

what you think

Fuck the rest! they hate us and have done nothing but survive on our visits to keep afloat, Scottish football will survive without us but can we survive or should I say thrive so long as we are the dog being wagged by the tale.

I agree 100% - fuck them - The Beggars are a necessary evil. The rest can go to the wall for all I care. I met a Partick Thistle supporter a couple of weeks back and told him I'd bought a 'Save The Jags' t-shirt back in the mid 90s when they were going tits up. I thought he'd appreciate it... How wrong I was - all he did was give me a diatribe about us being 'sectarian scum'. I was in his shop at the time so I quickly (but aggressively) threatened him with arson and promptly left!!!...

Fuck the lot of them...

The thing that I would have the main issue with is that i live in the north west of England so it would make getting to an away game twice as hard to get to. Also would it mean we still be eligible to qualify / play in the champions league??

The champions league is dying mate, the fans of the super clubs are fed up watching the likes of Basel, Panathanikos, Bate etc. 2000 games to get near enough the same teams in the quartesr every year....zzzzzzz

I hear what you're saying there Al, but they still sell their stadia out for these games.

I love how the TV audience is put as every person in the country watching it :lol:

That leauge and set up has no appeal to me. We need to improve in our own back yard, not a leauge that in fairness will still have mickey mouse teams in it. I know Malmo beat us but had we been as match sharp as them and Ally had the team out we have had recently we would fuck them

LOL without the rest there is no football! Stop being selfish and recognise that!

Too many massive issues.

Even simple things like the weather would affect when games could be played. Imagine two games were called off and we faced three away games in a row to Brondby, Malmo and Rosenborg.

It'd never catch on.

Too many massive issues.

Even simple things like the weather would affect when games could be played. Imagine two games were called off and we faced three away games in a row to Brondby, Malmo and Rosenborg.

It'd never catch on.

Agreed.

I think this atlantic league idea is fucking horrible and the sooner it is put to bed once and for all, the better.

Agreed.

I think this atlantic league idea is fucking horrible and the sooner it is put to bed once and for all, the better.

Teams from Scandinavia working around a schedule that allows games to be played in Sweden, Norway and Denmark where they require winter breaks due to weather conditions, while taking into account that some teams don't require a break and you haven't even thought about International football yet.

Fuck. Sore head :(

OK so this one's not for the faint hearted so stop reading now if you think the Atlantic League is a crap idea. On the other hand, if you think it 'is' a good idea, then keep reading - I'd be delighted to hear any counter arguments/suggestions etc.

I'll try not to bore everyone to death on this so here are a few FACTS!

The prize money for winning the SPL is approximately 2.5 million.

The worldwide market for Scotland is purely based on Rangers and Celtic.

The prize money for finishing in 17th position in the English Premier League (EPL) is 3.2 million! I.E. Just surviving and not getting relegated.

The worldwide market for the EPL is based on Man U and lots and lots of 'hype' about the others!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the countries that would be involved in a proposed Atlantic League (AL) and their populations. (TV Audience does 'not' include potential worldwide markets).

Country Population (Millions)

Belgium 10.3

Denmark 5.3

Netherlands 16.7

Norway 4.9

Scotland 5.2

Sweden 9.0

Total = (TV Audience) 51.4

That would make it the 4th largest in Europe with only Germany, France and Italy having greater populations. Bigger than Spain and England and with the potential for an AL 2 - I've looked at this and the potential for 2 leagues of 12 (with a split in the top one) and a play-off system in AL 2 (similar to English Championship) would be awesome.

AL 1 might look something like:

Team Stadium Capacity

AIK Stockholm Rasunda Stadium 35,000

Ajax Amsterdam Arena 52,960

Anderlecht Constant Vanden Stock Stadium 26,361

Brondby Brondby Stadium 29,000

Celtic Celtic Park 60,832

Club Brugge Jan Breydel Stadium 29,042

FC Copenhagen Parken Stadium 38,065

Feyenoord De Kuip 51,577

Malmo Swedbank Stadion 24,000

PSV Eindhoven Philips Stadion 35,119

Rangers Ibrox Stadium 51,082

Rosenborg Lerkendal Stadion 21,166

AL 2 might include:

FC Twente

Gothenburg

Braan Bergen

Standard Liège

Hearts

Aberdeen

Utrecht

Hibernian

Den Haag

Valareki

Lyngby

Djugardens

Viking Stavanger

I would bet that all teams listed here (and there are more) would increase in size and support. The reality is that the 6 games played on a weekend, in AL 1 ,would have a combined attendance of 220 - 260,000 as opposed to 80,000 that currently make up the average SPL weekend attendance. 3 x as big!!!

My own thoughts are that this league would have a massive potential and would get big clubs like ourselves and Ajax back to being bigger than the likes of Blackburn and Swansea!!!!!!!!!!... It's a fucking no brainer!... TV money and sponsorship would be rolling in (especially from Easy Jet!!!)...

Thoughts/suggestions/reality checks etc are ALL welcome...

WATP!

this is exactly the point i was trying to make yesterday except i couldnt be arsed explaining it the way you have. My only difference to the above is imo the intrest would be much greater, meaning the stadiums would have to be bigger. And i'm sure the french teams would want to get involved as well. The only problem i can see is the teams would need to break away from uefa, am not sure they would be willing to risk it - it could potentially kill the champions league.