Spurs fans criticised for "Yid Army" chants on BBC

OlegKuznetsov

Sunday Morning Live on BBC now (You can roll back the time to the start of the show):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/bbcone/live

It should be on iPlayer later.

It may not appear Rangers- related, but the connection is in the debate over acceptable terms. I now expect that the show will be inundated with suggestions that they should focus on us too, given our obsessed cyber stalking..

It's more in line with the Tims and their Paddy song to be honest.

If it was other teams fans singing about the Jewish influence in a negative manner, then there would be little debate in it being wrong.

Common sense says that if you ban for one set, you have to ban for the other.

Ah for the days before the PC polis ...

This might be styled the Alf Garnett Conundrum. Writer Johnny Speight intended Alf, whose range of racist terminology made him a pioneering equal opportunities offender, to satirise such ignorance, while Alf, who used “the Y word” with such abandon, was played by a Jewish actor.

Warren Mitchell was a neighbour, in fact, and often took my boyish self to Spurs when he had a spare ticket. Along with the cry of “Eh, Alf, why ain’t you down the Hammers?”, Warren was occasionally greeted on the walk to the ground with a cheery “Watch yourself, Alf, there’s loads of yids round ’ere.”

He never took the slightest offence, because the tone was invariably warm and jocular, and nor did I. Had the comment been made outside Upton Park, home of Alf’s beloved West Ham, it would have been different. Not every lovable cockney marched against Mosley in Cable Street, or felt fondly towards the heroic defenders of liberty who did.

Ah for the days before the PC polis ...

This might be styled the Alf Garnett Conundrum. Writer Johnny Speight intended Alf, whose range of racist terminology made him a pioneering equal opportunities offender, to satirise such ignorance, while Alf, who used “the Y word” with such abandon, was played by a Jewish actor.

Warren Mitchell was a neighbour, in fact, and often took my boyish self to Spurs when he had a spare ticket. Along with the cry of “Eh, Alf, why ain’t you down the Hammers?”, Warren was occasionally greeted on the walk to the ground with a cheery “Watch yourself, Alf, there’s loads of yids round ’ere.”

He never took the slightest offence, because the tone was invariably warm and jocular, and nor did I. Had the comment been made outside Upton Park, home of Alf’s beloved West Ham, it would have been different. Not every lovable cockney marched against Mosley in Cable Street, or felt fondly towards the heroic defenders of liberty who did.

Cool story

There is nothing wrong with Yid Army chants... they are taking a negative and turning it into a positive.

I actually know some Arsenal fans who don't call Tottenham fans yids because "that's what they call themselves"

I think it's time some Tottenham Jewish fans stood up and gave their thoughts, because we only seem to be getting the views of a Jewish Chelsea supporter.

There is nothing wrong with Yid Army chants... they are taking a negative and turning it into a positive.

I actually know some Arsenal fans who don't call Tottenham fans yids because "that's what they call themselves"

I think it's time some Tottenham Jewish fans stood up and gave their thoughts, because we only seem to be getting the views of a Jewish Chelsea supporter.

Im not sure I agree.

Although there is no ill intent, it just serves as a means to those who want to use the word in a negative way. The "How am i not allowed to say it, but they are?" defence.

Also dont really agree with the trivialised use of the N word coming out of the rap culture. Think that Richard Pryor called that one pretty spot on.

Cant agree with this after the Celtic fans songs about Lee Rigby.

No i dont mean things that are about tragetys or terrorists but football songs and traditional songs/chants ie TBB/Yid Army ect ect, of course you cant sing anything in the same way you cant just shout violent or offensive stuff on the street but the football songs have also been sanitised to a detrimental level now.

There is significance in this thread for Bears.

Reference the 'H' term. We do NOT utilise it to self describe, we do NOT embrace it in self deprecating humour, and it is NOT a term of endearment. There are no RSCs that encorporate the term in their titles ie Hamilton H..s RSC. There are no user names on Rangers supporting forums including the term. We do not include the word in our songs or chants.

I have heard Cosgrove on BBC Radio Scotland ranting, and raving about not being allowed to utilise the term. He laments the loss of a word because Channel 4's Director for Diversity knows it is derisory. The term is Cosgrove and the usual suspects preferred comfort blanket.