On This Day 1973 Quinton Young

StewGer

Quinton Young is one of the scorers in the On This Day feature on Rangers.co.uk. He made 102 starts and scored 38 goals, which is fairly impressive, yet of all the guys in the team around that time I know little about him. I was wondering if any of our more mature Bears had any memories or thoughts on the guy?

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/on-this-day-1973/

He scored the winner against the beggars in our first ever premier league game .It was a beauty and his celebrations were brilliant .He also had a very very good record against the scum appearing in quite a few wins against them at that time .A guy that should be more fondly remembered in my opinion .

WIKI

"Young left Rangers acrimoniously after a fall out with then manager Jock Wallace. After requesting a meeting with Wallace because he was unhappy about not being in the first team, an argument ensued and Young was given a free transfer. He subsequently joinedEast Fife in 1976.[2]"

Agree he was similar player to bud and plenty old clips show he was more than decent if not as good as bud.

Remember years ago working on a site in Glasgow, my auld man was talking to a guy digging out a trench,  I asked who it was  and he said cutty young one of my heroes watching Rangers, I didn't have a clue to my shame who it was, when you think what some of these pampered overrated superstars earn in football today it must make guy's like Quinton sick 

27 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

Went from Ayr to Coventry City then came to us as part of the deal for Colin Stein. 

Pacy and direct, I suppose similar in that sense to Bud Johnston.

Can you imagine Steiny had stayed and played alongside Cutty?

I doubt Steiny woulda kept up wae Cutty oan the drink though!

21 minutes ago, Scottywellhousetb said:

Remember years ago working on a site in Glasgow, my auld man was talking to a guy digging out a trench,  I asked who it was  and he said cutty young one of my heroes watching Rangers, I didn't have a clue to my shame who it was, when you think what some of these pampered overrated superstars earn in football today it must make guy's like Quinton sick 

Aye a couple of ex-players used to drive the Ice Cream Van round my way, Alex Miller was one if I recall but I'd have to check with my old Mum if that's right and who the other was. I was too wee to appreciate who they were.

36 minutes ago, thebooler said:

Cutty was from Drongan in Ayrshire and lives in Ayr as far as I know. I remember him playing for Ayr Utd.

Brilliant winger.

the booler ,

Cutty still lives in Drongan and he has a hard time with some health issues ,see him most days ,cracking player in his day ,played with the Talbot then Ayr then the Gers ,oh' might have played with another junior team ,good guy , Was talking to Wee Johnny Hubbard 85yrs young still fascinated by his tales lovely guy .he is failing a bit think his age is catching up with him ,Johnny says he never missed any penalties it was the keeper who saved them .

2 hours ago, mountaineer said:

the booler ,

Cutty still lives in Drongan and he has a hard time with some health issues ,see him most days ,cracking player in his day ,played with the Talbot then Ayr then the Gers ,oh' might have played with another junior team ,good guy , Was talking to Wee Johnny Hubbard 85yrs young still fascinated by his tales lovely guy .he is failing a bit think his age is catching up with him ,Johnny says he never missed any penalties it was the keeper who saved them .

Thanks mate. I thought Cutty had moved into Ayr. As for wee Johnny, what a man. When I came into hospital just as his book was being released, I was the proud recipient of one wishing me well from Johnny himself.

I was stunned when I opened it and there was THE Johnny Hubbard wishing me well.

6 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

He scored the winner against the beggars in our first ever premier league game .It was a beauty and his celebrations were brilliant .He also had a very very good record against the scum appearing in quite a few wins against them at that time .A guy that should be more fondly remembered in my opinion .

I was at that game where he scored that goal against them.

I think DJ scored our first goal that day.

Cutty also supplied the pass to Alfie Conn for our second goal in the 73 Cup Final win.

He also scored the only goal of the game in Colin Steins first game back from Coventry at Ibrox against Dundee,a game that the kick off was held up for 10 to 15 minutes to allow fans in to see the return of big Colin.

Cutty was a great player, not as good as Bud but not many were. one of the older players told the story that when we were on a pre season tour,

Tam Forsyth was eating his dinner and Cutty strolls by and steals a chip of his plate, Big Tam's goes apeshit and after an argument, Cutty demands big Tam outside. Two of them go outside and Cutty finds out Big Tam is as hard off the pitch as well as on it. 

Cutty is helped back into the dining room, everything is very quite and tense and Cutty breaks the ice with the immortal line of 'Thank f*ck I never ate his steak'

Priceless 

1 hour ago, The Louden Tavern said:

Cutty was a great player, not as good as Bud but not many were. one of the older players told the story that when we were on a pre season tour,

Tam Forsyth was eating his dinner and Cutty strolls by and steals a chip of his plate, Big Tam's goes apeshit and after an argument, Cutty demands big Tam outside. Two of them go outside and Cutty finds out Big Tam is as hard off the pitch as well as on it. 

Cutty is helped back into the dining room, everything is very quite and tense and Cutty breaks the ice with the immortal line of 'Thank f*ck I never ate his steak'

Priceless 

:lol: Brilliant.

All these guys are legend's in my eyes. Most grew up supporting The Rangers, played for the club with distinction, without any real tangible and long lasting financial reward, and then went back to a normal civvies job, paying a mortgage like the rest of us, raising families and sometimes living hand to mouth. As we all know you can be a millionaire pretty quickly nowadays in the modern game if you play at a similar level, have sound financial advice and stay clear of long term injury. Changed days indeed.

13 hours ago, Canabear said:

I was at that game where he scored that goal against them.

I think DJ scored our first goal that day.

Cutty also supplied the pass to Alfie Conn for our second goal in the 73 Cup Final win.

He also scored the only goal of the game in Colin Steins first game back from Coventry at Ibrox against Dundee,a game that the kick off was held up for 10 to 15 minutes to allow fans in to see the return of big Colin.

I remember that Dundee game, around 43,000 there which was a massive turnout in those days when the team was struggling. 

Seemed like everyone had a red white and blue flag with "Welcome Home Colin" printed on it.