Should we drop Barton for the OF game?

Johnmon

If Holt can prove his fitness, my starting 11 would be:

Foderingham

Tavernier                 Kiernan (or new CB)           Wilson              Wallace

Rossiter

Holt                        Krancjar                McKay (or Forrester)

Garner              Miller

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joey Barton has been one of our better performers, and he has been growing into the midfield role. Some his passes against Kilmarnock were top drawer. There is a  myth going around that he hasn't been doing it, which is nonsense. Had his pass for Miller in the first half led to a goal we'd all be saying how wonderful he is. He is one of our best players, and to drop him would be unwise.

On 27/08/2016 at 10:36 PM, harlands plater said:

Can't believe how many want Windass parachuted right into this game. The guy has come from Accrington and hasn't kicked a ball for us in anger yet.

He has played a few cup games, and done pretty well, no worse than some of our current midfield.

25 minutes ago, Gaffbear said:

I'd have Barton in the middle with halliday ...forester and moh wide and waggy and garner up top and go for it..could pull back harry and go 433 if 442 not working .

Mckay has been poor so far and maybe needs dropped imo

I agree McKay needs dropped. I'd have O'Halloran in ahead of him for this game as he's more direct and physical but a central midfield of Halliday and Barton will bomb IMO. We can forget creating much or moving the ball with any sort of tempo.

42 minutes ago, OhW said:

Why even suggest O'Halloran playing in midfield?

I thought I was clear in the post that we have injury/fitness problems leaving us short of options in the position. If we only play one of Rossiter/Barton and Halliday plays in the other role we need another pacy attacking midfield option. I'm not saying he should play there, but it is a a consideration. Warburton has previously said he believes Mackay can play as a 10/attacking midfield player. Perhaps the same is true of MOH. Personally I'd rather see him get a run further forward.