Is it not blatantly obvious?

five stars

you cant have backups ad infinitum though, there eventually comes a time where you dont get the person you want and thats it. It may well be the target was Oxford and if we didnt get him then there was nobody else we had identified in this window that we wanted that badly.

I dont really buy the "we must have back ups " line - yes in the summer window - but the january one is a bit hit and miss where limited targets would have been identified

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

you cant have backups ad infinitum though, there eventually comes a time where you dont get the person you want and thats it. It may well be the target was Oxford and if we didnt get him then there was nobody else we had identified in this window that we wanted that badly.

I dont really buy the "we must have back ups " line - yes in the summer window - but the january one is a bit hit and miss where limited targets would have been identified

We have for 2 years now been looking for CB's, we today are still looking for CB's. If we still can't identify realistic options then we are fucked.

it's not like we are sitting pretty in second spot, we are in a dog fight for it with 1 result not in our favour settling it. We tried in the summer and failed so you can only think or hope January would have been well prepared for but nope...it wasn't...again.

Just now, The Godfather said:

We have for 2 years now been looking for CB's, we today are still looking for CB's. If we still can't identify realistic options then we are fucked

Its a position that has annoyed me too. Kiernan and Danny Wilson have been identified as issues long ago and the last gasp Senderos signing was a total joke and this needs addressed.

What I am saying is that there is maybe nobody in this window thats suitable, or the ones we had on the list disappeared to other places. I cant believe its just been ignored.

3 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

We have for 2 years now been looking for CB's, we today are still looking for CB's. If we still can't identify realistic options then we are fucked.

it's not like we are sitting pretty in second spot, we are in a dog fight for it with 1 result not in our favour settling it. We tried in the summer and failed so you can only think or hope January would have been well prepared for but nope...it wasn't...again.

Warburton has only been for 18 months, not 2 years. He's had two summer transfer windows which is realistically where we get best value given our current financial situation. 

He brought in Kiernan and Wilson (again for pennies) who were both fine for the Championship and are reasonable 'back ups' in the SPFL. 

He tried to address it in the summer, but missed out on targets 1 (Mariappa), 2 (Spanish guy I think -forget his name) and 3 (Lescott) and got stuck with Senderos as a last minute 'panic' buy.

Again, he's tried to address it in this window via the loan market, and again the board / MD have failed to sign him up. 

Its not like he can't see it, but as he says - there's no point is signing players of similar levels, we need to bring in higher quality now. 

59 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Warburton has only been for 18 months, not 2 years. He's had two summer transfer windows which is realistically where we get best value given our current financial situation. 

He brought in Kiernan and Wilson (again for pennies) who were both fine for the Championship and are reasonable 'back ups' in the SPFL. 

He tried to address it in the summer, but missed out on targets 1 (Mariappa), 2 (Spanish guy I think -forget his name) and 3 (Lescott) and got stuck with Senderos as a last minute 'panic' buy.

Again, he's tried to address it in this window via the loan market, and again the board / MD have failed to sign him up. 

Its not like he can't see it, but as he says - there's no point is signing players of similar levels, we need to bring in higher quality now. 

:tu:

Good post mate ..... and the sentence in bold has to be recognised by the board if we are to progress ... as to bring in higher quality unfortunately requires higher funding be released.

I can't remember when another manager has had such bad returns from his signings .... whether it be his choice of player or a combination of that and a degree of ill fortune (Injuries etc) ... but since he arrived his financial range has been sorely limited and that is a major factor that has not been addressed ..... and until it is we will struggle to bring in top calibre players in any position never mind the blatantly obvious ones.

It also raises the question ..... what real talents does Frank McP bring to the table .... or is he battling with the same problem ..... money? ..... rhetorical  question I know, but it still has to be asked. 

:UK:

1 hour ago, Bobby Hume said:

Good post mate ..... and the sentence in bold has to be recognised by the board if we are to progress ... as to bring in higher quality unfortunately requires higher funding be released.

I can't remember when another manager has had such bad returns from his signings .... whether it be his choice of player or a combination of that and a degree of ill fortune (Injuries etc) ... but since he arrived his financial range has been sorely limited and that is a major factor that has not been addressed ..... and until it is we will struggle to bring in top calibre players in any position never mind the blatantly obvious ones.

It also raises the question ..... what real talents does Frank McP bring to the table .... or is he battling with the same problem ..... money? ..... rhetorical  question I know, but it still has to be asked. 

Agreed on FMcP - not been too impressed so far in all honesty. Not sure if he was a MW or board appointment, or a combination of both. 

Although, I'm sure the quality of signings would step up if we didn't have to primarily rely on free transfers. 

3 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Espinoza? Genuinely canny remember if we were actually interested in him or if it was paper talk.

20 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Agreed on FMcP - not been too impressed so far in all honesty. Not sure if he was a MW or board appointment, or a combination of both. 

Although, I'm sure the quality of signings would step up if we didn't have to primarily rely on free transfers. 

Frank McP, I'm sure was brought in on the recommendation of MW (to be fair the board backed him on this) ..... and was held in high regard down south as a finder of gold bars ..... but other than Rossiter (?) .... his coming north of the border hasn't even found us a Mars bar .... deep fried or otherwise .... :lol:

You're dead right as far as free transfers go .... we really are in troubled waters when that's our main market place and it's really a case of pot luck in that area too .... all this due to our financial situation, combined with the ludicrous values placed on normal journeymen down south that we cannot even enter the proper transfer market and hope to compete.

Hopefully someone will now try and explore overseas markets where we might be able to pick up players who will fit the bill here at our Club.

The straightforward and very obvious ( to me anyway) is money and plenty of it..

Take any manager in our division , give him 50 million quid for transfers and the same again for salaries and watch him win the league..

A better manager could maybe do it for twenty mlllion.

An even better manager may manage it for ten million.

An absolute top manager may do it for five million.

We're asking our manager to do it for less than one million.

Is MW one of the top ten managers in the world , no

Top twenty, no

Top fifty, no

Top one hundred? I don't know..

I think that it is us, the supporters that are driving our team to get the results we are getting

It was blatantly obvious before tonights match we need a DM.

It still is.

The difference is now the transfer windows closed. Hearts managed to bring in 9 players, surely there's a DM somewhere in Europe, within budget, who could of done a decent job?

I'd even consider trying Kiernan in there, kill two birds with the one stone by getting him out of defense and Halliday out of DM.

8 minutes ago, five stars said:

It was blatantly obvious before tonights match we need a DM.

It still is.

The difference is now the transfer windows closed. Hearts managed to bring in 9 players, surely there's a DM somewhere in Europe, within budget, who could of done a decent job?

I'd even consider trying Kiernan in there, kill two birds with the one stone by getting him out of defense and Halliday out of DM.

You were doing not bad until you spouted this pish m8