Kenny Miller finally offered a new deal

Imho, Miller has what it takes to play for Rangers even at 38, Hill has also proved worthy of the jersey. If I were Pedro I'd build my team around these two players, bringing in youth and a few out of Pedro's little black diary. When it comes to Miller and Hill leaving the transition will be smoother as by then the 1st team will know what is expected.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Sweetheart said:

Imho, Miller has what it takes to play for Rangers even at 38, Hill has also proved worthy of the jersey. If I were Pedro I'd build my team around these two players, bringing in youth and a few out of Pedro's little black diary. When it comes to Miller and Hill leaving the transition will be smoother as by then the 1st team will know what is expected.

That would depend on what part he plays next season. I don't agree at all with your other point- building a team around two players who are not going to be here for much longer would be a mistake; in fact, it is mistake to build a team around any player, but a bigger mistake to build a team around two players who are nearing the end of their careers. With Miller signing, and if Hill stays I hope they very much play a supporting role.

21 minutes ago, big blue Fin said:

You're welcome to your opinion, you're wrong, but you're welcome to it all the same.

Nope. We'll see. I hope he proves me wrong but given I don't rate this season by him I can't see that changing next year.

Just now, Turnberry18 said:

That would depend on what part he plays next season. I don't agree at all with your other point- building a team around two players who are not going to be here for much longer would be a mistake; in fact, it is mistake to build a team around any player, but a bigger mistake to build a team around two players who are nearing the end of their careers. With Miller signing, and if Hill stays I hope they very much play a supporting role.

My reasoning is that they are the bench mark for what is required. They are also players that our youth can look up to and can learn from. They would also be good coaches on the pitch. 

9 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

"Build team around...."

Fucking Hell.

My reasoning is that they are the bench mark for what is required. They are also players that our youth can look up to and can learn from. They would also be good coaches on the pitch. 

I'd rather see them play with far better players; and I would also like to see them struggle to get into the team.

2 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I'd rather see them play with far better players; and I would also like to see them struggle to get into the team.

We have to start somewhere though, you can't just throw youth onto the pitch, with no experience there to guide them and help them out when needed.

We have to start somewhere though, you can't just throw youth onto the pitch, with no experience there to guide them and help them out when needed.

We can't start there; we need to start by getting players who we think are better than the players the other teams have. 

2 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

Price tag is high for us but I reckon he could do the job for us as CM, I'd also look at James Maddison

We need a few players of that quality, and that standard. If we don't get players like that then it may well indicate a lack of ambition.

1. Do you mean not good enough or we wouldn't spend that sort of money?

2. Current market value: £1.70m http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/dominic-iorfa/profil/spieler/213334

Very highly rated, we won't spend that money on a position that isn't a necessity.

That counts for fuck all.

Looking at the list of Portuguese Mendes managed players I can see us taking Paulinho and Ruben Michael for creativity. Possibly the keeper if Fod is sold. I think Nemeth is a possibility on a free from Pedro's old team and a couple of Scottish players to give us a local spine.  None of the above are centre backs which are a must. 

I can see 6-7 coming in this window 

12 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

I think he's worth a gamble he's Young enough to be developed and has a potential sell on value 

I know where you are coming from and yes paying a development fee would not be that high - think it would be capped at 250k although someone could confirm that. It is the developed bit and what do we do with him...is he sent to the under 23's to play a lot of meaningless games or loaned out to a lower division side for a year or sitting on the bench. We could sign half a dozen of them and if even one of them came good it works out money wise. Problem you have here is that then does that limit the chances for our youths and the better ones decide to move as they see older players been bought but not getting game time.

I think for just now we need to focus on players that will improve the squad and add value to it.....something Warburton constantly stated but never carried through. It is still risky if you look across the city although they have sold a few players for a good amount they have also spunked a lot on dross that has not come good. 

1 minute ago, gj923 said:

I know where you are coming from and yes paying a development fee would not be that high - think it would be capped at 250k although someone could confirm that. It is the developed bit and what do we do with him...is he sent to the under 23's to play a lot of meaningless games or loaned out to a lower division side for a year or sitting on the bench. We could sign half a dozen of them and if even one of them came good it works out money wise. Problem you have here is that then does that limit the chances for our youths and the better ones decide to move as they see older players been bought but not getting game time.

I think for just now we need to focus on players that will improve the squad and add value to it.....something Warburton constantly stated but never carried through. It is still risky if you look across the city although they have sold a few players for a good amount they have also spunked a lot on dross that has not come good. 

Fair point. was thinking more to debut in the 1st team after I read this http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-premier-league-chester-12358806

12 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

Fair point. was thinking more to debut in the 1st team after I read this http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-premier-league-chester-12358806

Most of them clubs are only talking about having them in the development squad or loaning him out again. I do notice at the end of the article it mentions some guy that went to Motherwell from the same team but I have no idea how he has turned out.

I see our squad looking more like this though....

2 x Goal Keepers
Keep - Wes Fodringham Goal Keeper
Keep - Jak Alnwick Goal Keeper

2 x Right Backs
Youth - Myles Beerman Main position Right-Back
Wild Card - Dominic Iorfa https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=OH_nB_I-KXk

2 x Left Backs
Keep - Lee Wallace Main position Left-Back
Keep - Clint Hill Side position Left-Back/ Main position Centre-Back

2 x Centre Backs
Keep - Danny Wilson Main position Centre-Back
Youth - David Bates Main position Centre-Back

2x Right Wings
Youth - Serge Atakayi Main position Right Wing
Keep - Barrie McKay Main position Right Wing

2 x Left Wing
Pedro’s connections - Vladimir Weiss Main position Left Wing
Keep - Joe Dodoo Main position Left Wing

2 x Centre Midfielders
Keep - Jason Holt - Main position Centre Midfield
Keep - Niko Kranjcar - Main position Attacking Midfield

2 x Centre forwards
Pedro’s connections - Youssef El-Arabi Main position, Centre Forward
Keep-  Kenny Miller - [Coaching and covering injury] Main position Centre Forward