Big Bruno's first day at training

7 minutes ago, Frank Harrison said:

I'd say he leads by example, off the park anyway.

I don't think Wallace should be guaranteed a start but he should be the club captain until he decides to leave/retire as far as I'm concerned.

Great.

Beaten by 39 points last season and out of Europe before my summer holiday started.

But our captain leads by example off the park. Cracking.

Yet querying the possibility of someone like Alves being captain on the park.

Mental.

The well-being of the club is greater than any individual. I reckon Wallace could probably be replaced and not missed.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Frank Harrison said:

Lovely way to talk about a guy who sacrificed his career for us.

You can't keep someone as a captain simply because they decided to stay at the club. 

Ill always be grateful to him for doing that but for quite some time now he has been below par both in a captaining role and a footballing one.

Just now, .Williamson. said:

You can't keep someone as a captain simply because they decided to stay at the club. 

Ill always be grateful to him for doing that but for quite some time now he has been below par both in a captaining role and a footballing one.

I think he showed us loyalty so deserves it back. Suppose it depends what importance you place on the captaincy, I don't think it's particularly important.

11 minutes ago, Frank Harrison said:

OK I'll rephrase, sacrificed a career down south on more money and an international career.  

He's always been a quiet sort that wanted to stay in Scotland.

He's been well compensated im sure.

The international thing I agree with to an extent although reckon there's 2 or 3  ahead of him at left back.

He's like 83 years old and folk are spunking themselves before he's even kicked a ball for us :confused:

Don't get me wrong I want to see him do well as I do with all Rangers players but I remember players having to prove themselves before being worshipped

I just hope he doesn't fall and break his hip before the Motherwell game

1 minute ago, Frank Harrison said:

I think he showed us loyalty so deserves it back. Suppose it depends what importance you place on the captaincy, I don't think it's particularly important.

Fair enough mate, I just have always been of the opinion that the captain should be the leader in the team. 

Once you lose that aspect of the armband it's essentially pointless imo and it'd be safer chucked entirely.

2 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

That's all a nonsense though. The Terry and Rooney ones especially are nothing but massaging egos.

Would say it's more to do with the fact they're respected in the dressing room...

2 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

He's always been a quiet sort that wanted to stay in Scotland.

He's been well compensated im sure.

The international thing I agree with to an extent although reckon there's 2 or 3  ahead of him at left back.

Fair points but I'm sure he could have made considerably more down south.

3 minutes ago, OneDavidCooper said:

Yes you could. Happens all the time in football. If club captain not in team, manager appoints a team captain for the game in question. John Terry remained as Chelsea club captain last season for instance.

Yes but not all the time. A club captain should serve as an exemplar to our footballing ethos, a link between management and the dressing room and a link with the fans both on and off the pitch  

A bonus is leading by example on the park but we need the majority of our team to be leaders. 

5 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Wallace could be replaced and not missed.

Fixed that for you :tu:

Great respect for Waldo for staying with us, but I just don't think he leads us as well as we would expect a Rangers captain to lead us. Where is the passion and the fire in the belly?

8 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

you can't have a club captain sitting on the bench ffs.... 

Personally I don't think there needs to be a captain anymore these days

And if there is a captain then I dont Wallace is food enough.

But i also think stripping Wallace of the would hurt his morale more than it would benefit the new captain, Wallace should have the captaincy till he leaves instead of rocking the boat and giving what I consider a meaningless position to someone else

6 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

That's all a nonsense though. The Terry and Rooney ones especially are nothing but massaging egos.

"Messaging egos" is a good way to describe it. I think taking it from Wallace would hurt his ego more than it would help the new captains ego

1 minute ago, Gaz52 said:

So would you be if you thought you were coming to play European Football but your idiot colleagues fucked it up..

Training against Ronaldo running at you one week hen Dalcio and Waghorn the next can't be easy to stomach

1 minute ago, KeyserSoze said:

Yes but not all the time. A club captain should serve as an exemplar to our footballing ethos, a link between management and the dressing room and a link with the fans both on and off the pitch  

A bonus is leading by example on the park but we need the majority of our team to be leaders. 

Pretty much agree with that. Some clubs I have been involved with have had a club captain - longest serving player who has respect of dressing room, one who organises off field stuff, acts as link between manager and players, captains team on field when in team - and a team captain who is generally more of a fixture in side and more vocal perhaps.

I personally have never worried too much about who has the armband because preferably you want 11 captains.

2 minutes ago, there'sonlyoneamoruso said:

I think he's raging cause he doesn't have a decent song yet. :lol:

He's 6ft2 with a ponytail, if you try to get past him you will fail, Bruno Alves the Rangers centre half, nanananana

I deserve a Brit award for that

Just now, Gaz52 said:

He's 6ft2 with a ponytail, if you try to get past him you will fail, Bruno Alves the Rangers centre half, nanananana

I deserve a Brit award for that

I came up with one, but the critics on here are a hard lot to please. So I'm keeping it to myself.