For aficionados of half back lines and unequalled glory, The Rangers Iron Curtain.

backup

2 hours ago, Blumhoilann said:

Surely it's 2-3-5,seem to remember that as a lad. RB,LB,RH,CH,LH,OR,IR,CF,IL,OL.

I remember reading a coaching book from the '50s (decade I was born in) that referred to the 'classic WM' formation.

I read this over 50 years ago, so can't recall the exact wording , but it went along the following lines;

the W would give you 3 (defenders as in the opening post) then 2 (halfbacks?)

the M would give 2 (inside forwards?) then 3 (2 wingers and the centre forward).  

Happy to add to the general confusion on tactics from 60- 70 years ago..... 

12 minutes ago, fitalspark said:

I remember reading a coaching book from the '50s (decade I was born in) that referred to the 'classic WM' formation.

I read this over 50 years ago, so can't recall the exact wording , but it went along the following lines;

the M would give 2 (inside forwards?) then 3 (2 wingers and the centre forward).  

The W-M

image.thumb.png.6c5e041fdeedef288d3d8298cf658e2e.png

20 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Everything seems backwards FC for Centre Forward so only assume Midfield Central 

Iniesta was oft described as MC or as you say Mid Central.

It was Charlie Reep an RAF officer that started the number crunching that started to change how teams used tactics, the mantra was that three passes or less ended up with more goals scored.....and he was right.

13 minutes ago, backup said:

Iniesta was oft described as MC or as you say Mid Central.

It was Charlie Reep an RAF officer that started the number crunching that started to change how teams used tactics, the mantra was that three passes or less ended up with more goals scored.....and he was right.

yeah he gets a mention in that earlier article  I posted 

8 hours ago, backup said:

Twat of humongous proportions, and you don't even try✌

Never mind half back...half wit is appropriate for you...would probably be for the best if your carer limited the time you spent on here now...

2 hours ago, Del said:

Never mind half back...half wit is appropriate for you...would probably be for the best if your carer limited the time you spent on here now...

opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one although you appear to have two.

I was going to insult you, but realising you would think it a compliment, I will refrain from doing so 👍

20 hours ago, backup said:

back in the day The Rangers forward line charging forward at speed was indeed a thing of beauty, one of my favourite forward lines was Scott, McMillan Miller Brand and Wilson, a sight to behold !

i think when willie henderson came in he was a better fit than alec scott and he grew up watching ian mcmillan play at airdrie ,was he not a ball boy ?

Alex was a 12 stone battering ram of a winger, wee WIllie was a different mould altogether.

Denis Law said ''He came up the best in the world, and defeated them with skill, ability and class. That's why he was a great player.'' 

George Best: ''My Dad's a great judge and he said Willie was one of the greats. If he said it, you believed it. I know Willie really was a genius.'' 

The Benfica Chairman after a friendly: '' Henderson is an outstanding player who enhances Scotland's prestige''

22 hours ago, fitalspark said:

Game was harder, and tougher then, less athletic, much heavier ball.

Watching games before the mid sixties my impression is it took more time to work the ball from one end to the other, so less need to pack the midfields. Obviously the reason fast wingers thrived and were the best football players. You seldom see old fashioned defenders overlapping with the wingers, or playing one/twos either. More long ball tactics then too. 

Nowadays it's all about defending, controlling and building from a busy midfield.

29 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Game was harder, and tougher then, less athletic, much heavier ball.

Watching games before the mid sixties my impression is it took more time to work the ball from one end to the other, so less need to pack the midfields. Obviously the reason fast wingers thrived and were the best football players. You seldom see old fashioned defenders overlapping with the wingers, or playing one/twos either. More long ball tactics then too. 

Nowadays it's all about defending, controlling and building from a busy midfield.

Think I first became aware of 'overlapping fullbacks' in the mid-60s but the midfield was still pretty much long ball, or at least get it straight down the park -  none of this retain possession in midfield and recycling from one side to the other.