Tonight’s match postponed?

Tosh8

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Wrong.

It said it was 'unclear if tonight's game would still take place' 

Headline was: Rangers set to be hit as UEFA suspend competitions. 

“Rangers’ European campaign looks set to come to a halt as reports claim UEFA are set to announce the suspension of the Champions League and Europa League due to the coronavirus pandemic.”

You knew what you were doing. Don’t care about your snakey get-out clauses. Don’t bother coming back with “I don’t choose the headline”. 

3 minutes ago, OhW said:

“Rangers’ European campaign looks set to come to a halt as reports claim UEFA are set to announce the suspension of the Champions League and Europa League due to the coronavirus pandemic.”

You knew what you were doing. Don’t care about your snakey get-out clauses. Don’t bother coming back with “I don’t choose the headline”. 

Click bait pish. 

Sooner the public wise up to shite like this the better for all.

3 minutes ago, OhW said:

You've missed a word for that header. 

I did know what I was doing. Accurately reporting that UEFA were set to suspend their competitions. Nowhere did I say last nights game was definitely off. 

If you can't read what's there and decide to add your own interpretation, that's not my fault. 

Just now, graeme_4 said:

Click bait pish. 

Sooner the public wise up to shite like this the better for all.

Whats clickbait about it? The content matches the headline and doesn't use a misleading claim to entice the reader to click the link. 

Marca reported UEFA are set to suspend the CL and EL and we quoted that report. 

UEFA have since postponed the next set of games and will announce the competitions are suspended on Tuesday. 

Where's the clickbait? 

Just now, The Dude said:

Whats clickbait about it? The content matches the headline and doesn't use a misleading claim to entice the reader to click the link. 

Marca reported UEFA are set to suspend the CL and EL and we quoted that report. 

UEFA have since postponed the next set of games and will announce the competitions are suspended on Tuesday. 

Where's the clickbait? 

A story is implied, that the Rangers game was off when it wasn’t, released before the game without actually clarifying anything in the article or title. 

You can deny it’s clickbait if you like, or call it something else, but people are wising up to the game. I get that’s how ‘journalists’ make a living now. Hopefully not for much longer. 

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

You've missed a word for that header. 

I did know what I was doing. Accurately reporting that UEFA were set to suspend their competitions. Nowhere did I say last nights game was definitely off. 

If you can't read what's there and decide to add your own interpretation, that's not my fault. 

Nowhere did I say that you said last night’s game was definitely off. As I said, you knew what you were doing. Articles on that site are on a par with HITC. Absolute shite. 

2 minutes ago, OhW said:

Nowhere did I say that you said last night’s game was definitely off. As I said, you knew what you were doing. Articles on that site are on a par with HITC. Absolute shite. 

So what was I doing other than reporting something what has shown to be correct? 

As you concede, nowhere did I say last night's game was off so what was I doing? 

3 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

A story is implied, that the Rangers game was off when it wasn’t, released before the game without actually clarifying anything in the article or title. 

You can deny it’s clickbait if you like, or call it something else, but people are wising up to the game. I get that’s how ‘journalists’ make a living now. Hopefully not for much longer. 

It IS clarified in the article. There's one para copied there. 

In the article it specifically states that the SLO had said there was no risk to the game being behind closed doors and as yet no official confirmation from either Club or UEFA that the game wasn't taking place. 

Here's the article in full:

'Rangers’ European campaign looks set to come to a halt as reports claim UEFA are set to announce the suspension of the Champions League and Europa League due to the coronavirus pandemic.

'Spanish outlet Marca are reporting that the competitions have been suspended although an announcement has yet to be made by UEFA

' Rangers are due to play Bundesliga side Bayer Leverkusen tonight in the first leg of their Europa League clash and it is unclear if the game will take place or not

' The report comes shortly after it was confirmed that the Real Madrid squad had been put in quarantine after one of the club’s basketball players contracted coronavirus and Juventus defender Daniele Rugani confirmed he had it.

' Ibrox SLO Greg Marshall had earlier stated there was no threat to tonight’s game taking place behind closed doors but it now appears as though UEFA could pull the plug completely.

' The second leg of the clash with Leverkusen was already set to take place with no fans but it seems increasingly likely that it won’t take place any time soon.

' UEFA were still putting out tweets promoting tonight’s fixtures just a few hours ago but it wouldn’t be a surprise to see it confirmed this afternoon that they had suspended both competitions.' 

22 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It IS clarified in the article. There's one para copied there. 

In the article it specifically states that the SLO had said there was no risk to the game being behind closed doors and as yet no official confirmation from either Club or UEFA that the game wasn't taking place. 

Here's the article in full:

'Rangers’ European campaign looks set to come to a halt as reports claim UEFA are set to announce the suspension of the Champions League and Europa League due to the coronavirus pandemic.

'Spanish outlet Marca are reporting that the competitions have been suspended although an announcement has yet to be made by UEFA

' Rangers are due to play Bundesliga side Bayer Leverkusen tonight in the first leg of their Europa League clash and it is unclear if the game will take place or not

' The report comes shortly after it was confirmed that the Real Madrid squad had been put in quarantine after one of the club’s basketball players contracted coronavirus and Juventus defender Daniele Rugani confirmed he had it.

' Ibrox SLO Greg Marshall had earlier stated there was no threat to tonight’s game taking place behind closed doors but it now appears as though UEFA could pull the plug completely.

' The second leg of the clash with Leverkusen was already set to take place with no fans but it seems increasingly likely that it won’t take place any time soon.

' UEFA were still putting out tweets promoting tonight’s fixtures just a few hours ago but it wouldn’t be a surprise to see it confirmed this afternoon that they had suspended both competitions.' 

And the title said...?

Mate your constant need to justify your stories and reporting in typical snidey ‘journalist’ fashion is so tiresome. You can’t see the wood for the trees at times. 

‘Journalists’ in this day an age rely on creating maximum traffic through clickbait pish, rather than anything of any proper substance. Bottom line. Sound like an old guy, but the days of proper journalistic investigation, analysis and reporting are long gone. 

1 minute ago, graeme_4 said:

And the title said...?

Mate your constant need to justify your stories and reporting in typical snidey ‘journalist’ fashion is so tiresome. You can’t see the wood for the trees at times. 

‘Journalists’ in this day an age rely on creating maximum traffic through clickbait pish, rather than anything of any proper substance. Bottom line. Sound like an old guy, but the days of proper journalistic investigation, analysis and reporting are long gone. 

The  header is - 'Rangers set to be hit as UEFA suspend competitions - report' 

Journalism has always been about getting the most eyes to a story. Thats nothing new. Do you know why 'proper analysis and reporting' is apparently dead? Because nobody reads it. People don't read facts and analysis, they read whatever backs up their viewpoint. 

7 minutes ago, Stunels said:

Mate well done, you quoted something I wrote about thursdays match to try and make me look stupid.  Do you feel like a big man?

No, just one who was right despite you claiming how "awful" it was that it had been reported.

Saying on bbc UEFA may propose mini tournaments to settle the Europa and champions leagues for this season. Just when and where would they play these tournaments? They should be knocked on the head for this year but no way will UEFA give it up if theres the remotest possibility they can screw a few more bob out of it. Shameful really.

9 hours ago, MurrayWilson said:

Saying on bbc UEFA may propose mini tournaments to settle the Europa and champions leagues for this season. Just when and where would they play these tournaments? They should be knocked on the head for this year but no way will UEFA give it up if theres the remotest possibility they can screw a few more bob out of it. Shameful really.

It is all about sponsorship and money.

Archived