Hiddink vs Walter

vasily09

In an interview after beating Holland yesterday

"We were scared of the Dutch and when you are scared, there is only one thing to do - Attack!!"

Now - are you listening Walter?

now i dont know this but who has won the most trophies between the two of them

Well we must have been uber confident playing teams like Motherwell et al last season. How else could we explain the defensive set-up?

That is the whole point - Walter looks at the negatives - always how to contain or stop the other team - it is never about the positives, about our talent

And that is why Walter has never made it to the top of his profession, why he has always and always will fall short

"We were scared of the Dutch and when you are scared, there is only one thing to do - Attack!!"

I dont know either, it has to be pretty close - but would you equate SPL trophies with Rangers to the level that Hiddink has coached at?

Hardly a fair battle is it now?

Walter Smith

Who would you rather have managing Rangers at this current time? I know who i'd want. Hiddink can also prove he doesn't need the budget to be a success, Korea, Australia and Russia have all over acheived big time. And he also took Porto to the CL semi finals on a budget no where near that of Europes elite. The only gripe from me about Walter is his dire style of football. It is enough to put you to sleep at times.

Yeah becuase we have players who possess the brillanct attacking ability of Arshavin, Anyuklov, Pavlyuchenko & Zhirkov don't we :rolleyes:

No, not at that level, but we do have minimal funds in place to attract some attacking styled players that would be more than adequate enought to put SPL standard players to the sword.

Smith's inability to regognize that fact and insistance to turn every game in to a battle is one that worries me.

Yeah becuase we have players who possess the brillanct attacking ability of Arshavin, Anyuklov, Pavlyuchenko & Zhirkov don't we :rolleyes:

even if we had those players walter would still be negative. :lol:

Actually, That is so true!!

Guest The Brown Brogue

Hiddink has won 6 league titles, 4 dutch cups and 1 european cup with PSV, plus 2 4th place finishes in the world cup.

Smith has won 7 league titles, 4 scottish cups and 4 league cups with Rangers, plus a UEFA cup runners up place.

Their records aren't all that different, its the manner that they have gone about picking up those honours that are chalk and cheese.

Did Korea?

No but they had the best man manager in world football at their helm and I think thats the main difference here.

I thought by the way you answered that you didn't think Hiddink was all he was being cracked up to be.

Every team to some extent carries a bit of luck, just look at the Tallies over the years. What he did with Korea with or withut the crowd was quite remarkable and i'd bet he was the only one that could have acheived what he did. You only have to look at where Korea are after he left.

The more i think about it, the reason smith played negitive was because we lacked a attacking midfield?

But like an earlier poster said, Put Smith in charge of that Russian team last night against Holland. Would he have taken the game to the dutch with such an attacking formation? When they took the lead 2-1 in ET, Hiddink took off a striker but put on another attacker and went for the third. Smith would have taken the Striker off and brought on another defender and try and protect the lead. They are both polar opposites in terms of their tactical style.

We didn't have the players to "attack" last season, particularly in Europe. Some of you cats don;t have a fkn clue and it's getting right on my fat ones..

Agreed. Look at the way the Russians play. They pick up any loose ball/pass and they swarm forward. They know exactly how to attack.

We didn't have the players to "attack" last season, particularly in Europe. Some of you cats don;t have a fkn clue and it's getting right on my fat ones..

So why didn't he address that problem?

If you want get ratty with anyone then surely the management should be the 1st port of call

I think Walter would play McCulloch over Arshavin

The more i think about it, the reason smith played negitive was because we lacked a attacking midfield?

For most of last season we had Gow, Buffel, Adam, Burke, Naismith, Fleck - all attacking midfielders We had plenty - we also wasted good transfer kitty on Cousin, McCulloch etc etc - money that could have been spent on a different type of player

I think Walter would play McCulloch over Arshavin

Don't see eye to eye with you on many subjects but on this I agree wholeheartedly.

McCulloch's automatic inclusion in the team and the lengths Smith will go to accomodate him are quite bizarre