22 man squad

A lot of top coaches in World football say that they like to work with a group of 22-24 players.

It gives them room for rotation, offers alternatives and covers for injuries throughout the season.

Smith has come out and said neither Boyd or McCulloch are for sale, so at this present time (After the Buffel departure) we have a squad of 26

I fully expect Graeme Smith, Brahim Hemdani, Jean Claude Darcheville and Daniel Cousin to move on in the coming weeks, which would trim the squad down to 22.

We would be left with :

Goalkeepers : McGregor and Alexander

Defenders : Whittaker, Broadfoot, Smith, Papac, Dailly, Weir, Webster and Cuellar

Midfielders: Burke, Naismith, Beasley, Adam, McCulloch, Thomson and Ferguson

Strikers : Novo, Boyd, Lafferty, Miller and Velicka

Is that squad good enough to win the SPL title? I dont think so.

Our midfield is very weak, lacks creativity and doesnt have a goalscorer between them.

If we are looking for 1-2 players, they have to be midfielders. 1 Attacking midfielder and 1 winger. I still think we need a left back and a centre back as well, but with the squad we have already, we need to get rid of the dead wood before we bring in better players.

Thoughts?

A lot of top coaches in World football say that they like to work with a group of 22-24 players.

It gives them room for rotation, offers alternatives and covers for injuries throughout the season.

Smith has come out and said neither Boyd or McCulloch are for sale, so at this present time (After the Buffel departure) we have a squad of 26

I fully expect Graeme Smith, Brahim Hemdani, Jean Claude Darcheville and Daniel Cousin to move on in the coming weeks, which would trim the squad down to 22.

We would be left with :

Defenders : Whittaker, Broadfoot, Smith, Papac, Dailly, Weir, Webster and Cuellar

Our midfield is very weak, lacks creativity and doesnt have a goalscorer between them.

If we are looking for 1-2 players, they have to be midfielders. 1 Attacking midfielder and 1 winger. I still think we need a left back and a centre back as well, but with the squad we have already, we need to get rid of the dead wood before we bring in better players.

Thoughts?

I agree witih most of it mate, although I would put a CB at the top of my wish list for the remainder of the window. Then a right winger and 3rd attacking midfielder.

I go this way because I think WS may opt for 4-4-2. With two strikers up front we definately need a right and left winger. We already have DMB so one on the right who can whip in good crosses and I think we'll be banging them in.

That is why attacking mid is my 3rd choice.

CB 1st because I don't think we can rely on Weir to give us another season like the one he just gave.

also burke and naismith will be out for a while so we should add furman and fleck to your list

Furman has played just over 45 minutes and Fleck has played around 30 minutes.

They are hardly first team regulars and shouldnt be regarded as regulars until the play a succession of games.

We would be left with :

Thoughts?

I agree witih most of it mate, although I would put a CB at the top of my wish list for the remainder of the window. Then a right winger and 3rd attacking midfielder.

I go this way because I think WS may opt for 4-4-2. With two strikers up front we definately need a right and left winger. We already have DMB so one on the right who can whip in good crosses and I think we'll be banging them in.

CB 1st because I don't think we can rely on Weir to give us another season like the one he just gave.

Best form of defense is attack.

If we can pin teams back and create a barrel load of chances, it wont matter if we conceed every now and again.

If we cant link the ball from middle to front, we would be relying on the defense and goalkeeper to keep us in games, Like most of last season.

An attacking midfielder is number 1 priority IMO, then a winger, then a centre back and then a left back

We would be left with :

Thoughts?

Best form of defense is attack.

If we can pin teams back and create a barrel load of chances, it wont matter if we conceed every now and again.

If we cant link the ball from middle to front, we would be relying on the defense and goalkeeper to keep us in games, Like most of last season.

An attacking midfielder is number 1 priority IMO, then a winger, then a centre back and then a left back

I would argue against a left back. I think Papac is well equipped there and young Stevie Smith will push him all the way.

I would be quite happy with Thomson and Ferguson in the middle with two wingers which could provide the link from middle to front.

In every game of football we are always going to be relying on our defense and goalkeeper no matter what. The opposition is always going to break through sooner or later. Therefore I still believe getting a good CB is essential. It's all well and good sayig if we can pin teams back abd create a barrel load of chances. But when they break forward and we don't have the CB's to cope with it, goals will be scored against us.

We aren't going to make a team that will keep the opposition in their own half for 90 minutes.

Defence is weak, Broadfoot, Dailly, Weir and Webster are not good enough. Not one decent full back. With Weir in there the midfield will continue to be under pressure and we'll sit far too deep.

That midfield is terrible, 2 are out for months and months, McCulloch and Adam are shite and Ferguson is finished. No creativity, no spark/flair and hardly any goals.

No where near good enough for a club like Rangers. Says it all about how we are going to play this coming season.

We need a RB, CB possibly LB, LW, RW and an attacking CM.

Guest Andypendek

I'm not so sure Darcheville is leaving though, I have't heard anything that would suggest that.

If we are to sign '1 or 2' players I am desperate for them to be a right back and an attacking midfielder.

Looking at that squad - how did we ever get to a European Final? Its pretty poor quality wise.

You have McGregor and Cuellar - the rest are poor. Barry was poor last year and I cannot see him being much better in the future.

You would think WS knows this and will bring in at the minimum a CB, RW and attacking mid.

We need patience and faith for now.

Take McCulloch,Burke and Adam out the midfield

Dailly,Weir and Broadfoot out the defence

Replace them with....Davis,Faubert and Greening just say

and the defence with Berra and Suchy

add Klasnic up front then it looks like this

Defence.....CUELLAR--WEBSTER--BERRA--SMITH--WHITTY--PAPAC-SUCHY

Midfield.......DAVIS--FAUBERT--GREENING--THOMMO--BEASLEY--FERGIE---NAISMITH

strikers....BOYD--LAFFERTY--KLASNIC--NOVO--MHILLER--VELICKA

better ?????????

Looks minorly better, but you cant just add in random players we've not signed! add in ferdinand, ronaldo and kaka and it'd look amazing.

I dont see us signing another striker. And smith has said he'll only look to strengthen one or two more area's.

There are at least 3 essential areas, being CB, RW and a full back. Whittaker for me hasnt proved be anything like the quality required to play RB, one injury or suspension to our CB's and we're screwed. Webster is always injured and poor when fit. I like Burke, but he's far too inconsistant and injured at the moment anyway. He does however have Novo to play on the wing, but he's not that effective out there.

Looks minorly better, but you cant just add in random players we've not signed! add in ferdinand, ronaldo and kaka and it'd look amazing.

I dont see us signing another striker. And smith has said he'll only look to strengthen one or two more area's.

There are at least 3 essential areas, being CB, RW and a full back. Whittaker for me hasnt proved be anything like the quality required to play RB, one injury or suspension to our CB's and we're screwed. Webster is always injured and poor when fit. I like Burke, but he's far too inconsistant and injured at the moment anyway. He does however have Novo to play on the wing, but he's not that effective out there.

All i've done is add players we've been linked with in the past few weeks

We need a RB first and formost, i stand stand the thought of Broadfoot playing for Rangers again! Someone like Hutton who will bomb forward?

Then A CB. Lets look abroad again, very few half decent Scottish CB's.

A RM. Burke is fucked, and i see no one who is very comfortable there, Sure Novo, but we bought him as a ST and he plays best there.

A LM. Cover for Beasley cause McCulloch cant play there.

This should be first priority.

Fergie and thomson just runs games and we have beasley,novo,mcculloch and adam who can play out in the wings. We also have furman and fleck who will play alot this season and i think if we get davis we will have a very good midfield. My only worry is though we are better in midfield than last season we still lack flair in the mid and in europe i feel we could still use another winger who can score.

also burke and naismith will be out for a while so we should add furman and fleck to your list

Furman has played just over 45 minutes and Fleck has played around 30 minutes.

They are hardly first team regulars and shouldnt be regarded as regulars until the play a succession of games.

Remember the under 21 rule!!!