Boycott

Adam

Who here isn't buying the top purely on the basis of a 25% price increase from last year?

I wasn't bothered at first but someone pointed out that bears with cubs (lol see what i did there) will struggle! I mean I can afford one and would pay the price if it went to club but are Umbro or JJB making off us bears knowing that we are rangers mental?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see the big deal really. As Papaguy said in another thread - you'll end up going out and spending £9 on a dvd or a take away, or some junk from Asda - so why not put it towards the new gers top instead?

Who here isn't buying the top purely on the basis of a 25% price increase from last year?

I wasn't bothered at first but someone pointed out that bears with cubs (lol see what i did there) will struggle! I mean I can afford one and would pay the price if it went to club but are Umbro or JJB making off us bears knowing that we are rangers mental?

Good post Adam (tu)

I have been having a similar discussion with Papaguy on another post about this and how I feel for guys who have two and three kids and will be having to buy x amount of tops. I mean how do you tell your kid that he can't have the top this year because the price has gone up?

Fans like Papaguy and Smif are a chairman's wet dream, they know that they and thousands of others like them will buy the tops regardless of price or quality and not complain. They also know that guys with two and three kids HAVE to buy the tops so Murray knows he can bump up the prices and get away with it.

It would take something like a total boycott to make any sort of influence but something like that will never happen so the club and Murray are free to go and bump up the prices anytime they see fit.

smif and andy-500

Would you still buy the top knowing JJB is taking the 9 pound increase as sole profit and none of the 25% increase is going to the club? (hypothetical question)

I wouldnt touch it if that was the case.....

Good post Adam (tu)

I have been having a similar discussion with Papaguy on another post about this and how I feel for guys who have two and three kids and will be having to buy x amount of tops. I mean how do you tell your kid that he can't have the top this year because the price has gone up?

Fans like Papaguy and Smif are a chairman's wet dream, they know that they and thousands of others like them will buy the tops regardless of price or quality and not complain. They also know that guys with two and three kids HAVE to buy the tops so Murray knows he can bump up the prices and get away with it.

It would take something like a total boycott to make any sort of influence but something like that will never happen so the club and Murray are free to go and bump up the prices anytime they see fit.

We are a charmains wet dream because we want to buy our teams football top <cr>. Our offical top could be a dirty rag of a t-shirt with a Rangers badge on it selling for £40 and if i had the money i would buy it. I've bought every Rangers top since i can remember and i am not going to stop now.

I do feel for the people who have to buy it for 2/3 kids and have a season ticket etc.

But all I'm saying is that I'm not in that boat. I'm a single student with no kids, no season ticket and no time to travel abroad with the club and a £9 difference really isn't a problem. If it rises by £9 again next year however, we may have a slight problem there.

I don't see the big deal really. As Papaguy said in another thread - you'll end up going out and spending £9 on a dvd or a take away, or some junk from Asda - so why not put it towards the new gers top instead?

It's principle.

With the price of fuel & food just now, I'm not impressed by putting the price up! It's only £9, but it is the principle of the matter.

I dont follow that mate? The fact that prices are rising on everything given the state of the economy, essentially means this really shouldnt be unexpected? Seems as a lot of people are annoyed more about so called luxury items increasing in price rather than basics.

"We" expect to go out, eat out, a car per adult, big screen tvs, lattes all the time, which is a long way from how things were. I mean, to compare, £9 increase, so, assume you buy all 3, thats £27. If you buy your kid a mars bar or the like, every day, in a year, thats £500. If you have just one latte a day while at work (which I did haha), thats between £1500-£2000 per year.

Wasnt so long ago that £45 was standard for footie tops, but, for the last few years they have been cheaper. I also have kids, and, to be fair, if they want them, they can have them, and, am sure i can skip a posh coffee for a week to pay for it.

Just realised, I sound very anti capitolist! haha

Why is the cost of the top being blamed on Murray?

Rangers do not produce or sell their merchandise, JJB do. Murray sold the rights, which at the time everyone was praising him for as it was brining in much need finance. Now they have bumped up the price, people are running to Murray and complaining. I, for one, am not Murray's bigest fan but has he really got any say on this?

Rangers do not produce or sell their merchandise, JJB do. Murray sold the rights, which at the time everyone was praising him for as it was brining in much need finance. Now they have bumped up the price, people are running to Murray and complaining. I, for one, am not Murray's bigest fan but has he really got any say on this?

If u read my posts Im actually hypothetically blaming jjb - Murrary must account towards some of it as he sold the rights to JJB

Port Baer

They also know that guys with two and three kids HAVE to buy the tops so Murray knows he can bump up the prices and get away with it.

Thats what i was reffering to, sorry. As for Murray taking some of the blame for selling the rights to JJB. How could he possibly know the price of the tops 3/4 years down the line? Unless it was part of the contract, no blame can be directed towards him.

Personally i was dissapointed that we gave up our deal with Nike. It's THE major sports brand across the world and they would have demanded that the tops were sold worldwide.

They also know that guys with two and three kids HAVE to buy the tops so Murray knows he can bump up the prices and get away with it.

I'll take issue with that, because no-one HAS to buy it for their kids at all.

When I was a nipper and wanted something the parents could afford, I was told to bugger off.

If there's 3 spoilt brats in a family that get whatever they ask for, then why should the parent be complaining? Learn to say no for a change.

It's principle.

With the price of fuel & food just now, I'm not impressed by putting the price up! It's only £9, but it is the principle of the matter.

I dont follow that mate? The fact that prices are rising on everything given the state of the economy, essentially means this really shouldnt be unexpected? Seems as a lot of people are annoyed more about so called luxury items increasing in price rather than basics.

"We" expect to go out, eat out, a car per adult, big screen tvs, lattes all the time, which is a long way from how things were. I mean, to compare, £9 increase, so, assume you buy all 3, thats £27. If you buy your kid a mars bar or the like, every day, in a year, thats £500. If you have just one latte a day while at work (which I did haha), thats between £1500-£2000 per year.

Wasnt so long ago that £45 was standard for footie tops, but, for the last few years they have been cheaper. I also have kids, and, to be fair, if they want them, they can have them, and, am sure i can skip a posh coffee for a week to pay for it.

excellent point (tu)

Dont know....

Maybe the fact he sold the merchandise rights to JJB and never inserted a clause which stopped JJB fleasing the fans when it came to selling Rangers jerseys.

A simple stipulation would have been all that was needed. Even if it was, Rangers jerseys to be sold at same price as other club shirts.

Why should us Rangers fans increase JJB's yearly income by £9 per head.

50,000 strips sold = £450,000 pure profit.

When I was a nipper and wanted something the parents could afford, I was told to bugger off.

If there's 3 spoilt brats in a family that get whatever they ask for, then why should the parent be complaining? Learn to say no for a change.

(tu) very well said

Seems a lot of parents cant do that these days, which is strange, cos, i quite enjoy it haha

It's principle.

excellent point (tu)

I dont think you get the point.

Its only a £9 increase for Rangers jerseys. The majority of other jerseys are selling for the regular price.

If it was inflation, fair enough......noone would bother. However if none of the other jerseys are being increased, its not inflation and we have a problem.

It's principle.

excellent point (tu)

I dont think you get the point.

Its only a £9 increase for Rangers jerseys. The majority of other jerseys are selling for the regular price.

If it was inflation, fair enough......noone would bother. However if none of the other jerseys are being increased, its not inflation and we have a problem.

Has this increase been confirmed btw?

Can you buy me the new Rangers top Papa? :craphead:

Dont know....

Maybe the fact he sold the merchandise rights to JJB and never inserted a clause which stopped JJB fleasing the fans when it came to selling Rangers jerseys.

A simple stipulation would have been all that was needed. Even if it was, Rangers jerseys to be sold at same price as other club shirts.

Why should us Rangers fans increase JJB's yearly income by £9 per head.

50,000 strips sold = £450,000 pure profit.

Is that round the UK, or only in Scotland?

Reason i ask is, down here, its a safe bet that by Oct at the latest, Gers tops are on sale in JJB. Couple that with the fact that since I moved down here in 1991, they are the only store I have even SEEN a Rangers top in, therefore, as sole outlet, they can pretty much do what they want. Maybe the price is up in Scotland to make up for losses down south?

Can you buy me the new Rangers top Papa? :craphead:

:lol:

Yes son. All 3 :rangers:

I am one of the guys with 3 kids and I will buy the tops , however I have my own sports wear and equipment business which supplies to grass roots football and sport and i can tell you guys that prices have risen sharply due to fuel /petrol going up , however not by the margin we see here .

I can give you an example I supplied Brighton FC with back packs for £ 9.95 and if you look on there club shop they are for sale @ £ 19.99 so its not just Bain , Umbro and JJB that do it.

As a matter of Interest .you may or may not be aware but umbro is now owned by Nike and JJB along with another company who escape me at this moment in time ................ OH thats right its the Newcastle owners company .

Case rested

I am one of the guys with 3 kids and I will buy the tops , however I have my own sports wear and equipment business which supplies to grass roots football and sport and i can tell you guys that prices have risen sharply due to fuel /petrol going up , however not by the margin we see here .

I can give you an example I supplied Brighton FC with back packs for £ 9.95 and if you look on there club shop they are for sale @ £ 19.99 so its not just Bain , Umbro and JJB that do it.

As a matter of Interest .you may or may not be aware but umbro is now owned by Nike and JJB along with another company who escape me at this moment in time ................ OH thats right its the Newcastle owners company .

Case rested

What case?