The pink evening times and green citizen

Anybody old enough to remember these papers? They used to sell the citizen outside Ibrox before the games, used to love it as a kid because there would

be a cracking wall poster of one of the gers players inside. The pink times

you could get straight after the match as you were leaving the stadium and it would have the half time scores of the other games etc. These were days when

we didn't feel any hatred towards the papers, well not that I can remember any way, I was only a kid.

Spent years trying to win a pair of John Greig shinguards in the citizen, nae luck :angry:

Anybody old enough to remember these papers? They used to sell the citizen outside Ibrox before the games, used to love it as a kid because there would

be a cracking wall poster of one of the gers players inside. The pink times

you could get straight after the match as you were leaving the stadium and it would have the half time scores of the other games etc. These were days when

we didn't feel any hatred towards the papers, well not that I can remember any way, I was only a kid.

Spent years trying to win a pair of John Greig shinguards in the citizen, nae luck :angry:

I believe they still sell that, does a roaring trade in San Francisco.

Unfortunately I am old enough to remember. The Citizen was about 8 foot square, cunt of a thing to try and read on the bus. IIRC it had columns by John Greig and Pat Crerand (later McNeil) every week.

Yeah we had the Citizen delivered, was a decent paper, thing that amazes me looking back is the fact that the papaer got delivered about 6.30 or 7.00 and you would not have a clue what any of the other scores were. If you were at the Rangers game at Ibrox you would miss the scores being read out about 5 for the pools and amazingly there were no radio phone ins or other channels with any football content at all, these papaers were important because they were genuinely the only way you could get to find out other scores.

I remember them well, I still have a poster from the Citizen entitled "The Ibrox Strike Force In Action", it's a picture of wee Bud and Alex Ferguson against Airdrie, I think.

I got it autographed by most of the players when we used to hang about the Albion during the summer of 1968.

Yeah we had the Citizen delivered, was a decent paper, thing that amazes me looking back is the fact that the papaer got delivered about 6.30 or 7.00 and you would not have a clue what any of the other scores were. If you were at the Rangers game at Ibrox you would miss the scores being read out about 5 for the pools and amazingly there were no radio phone ins or other channels with any football content at all, these papaers were important because they were genuinely the only way you could get to find out other scores.

Crazy to think that is how it used to be.

Spot on (tu)

I had a paper round in the afternoons about 1970/72, used to rush home from school then get up to the depot at Springhill near Easterhouse to get my papers and extras to sell on the round. I used to shout "TIMES, CITIZEN FINAAAL" happy days. :crabflute:

I worked for the Citizen/Express at that time and remember well the rush to beat the pink Times on a Saturday. Unfortunately they moved production of the Express down to Manchester and I lost my job. Both great newspapers at the time with proper journalists

Yes, I'm afraid to say I too am old enough to remember them. There were different editions which could give you the final scores in the Stop Press section. Needless to say the tims score was never in it as no paper could wait for their game to end with their "play on until they win" referees. I used to have the player posters all over my bedroom wall. The older ones were black and white photos with a colouring of the Rangers shirt. The newer colour pics had some cracking photos. I remember 2 in particular, Bud Jonston and Colin Stein. Both photos were taken in autumnal looking days against Hibs I think with an Ibrox Stadium packed with fans and a slightly foggy haze. Must have been about 1969 - 70. Wish I'd kept them.

Lived in a small village in Renfrewshire and on a Saturday evening in the fifties and early sixties used to watch for the train from Glasgow to approach the station around quarter past seven. Run down to the paper shop to join the queue waiting for the newsagent carrying the bundles of times and citizen to his shop from the station.

I remember him slashing the string round the paper with his knife and then the quickest exchange of coins for the papers; used to hate when someone in front of me wanted ciggies or sweeties because that delayed me getting the report of the game.

These were pre television times for most and certainly before any real football coverage; match reports were only on radio and in papers.

The times match reporting was almost as the journalist watched it; crosses into the box, swivvelled, body swerved,sweet volleys, bullet like header into the postage stamp etc etc.

The games were brought to life for child like me on a Saturday night and how the paper managed to print reports of all the Scottish games plus certain junior games in such a short time was truly amazing.

Memories of an simple and innocent time when sports journalist reported what they saw with no agendas, when football was a sport and players were men who played to win and we were the best.

and i can still hear the guy at queen st station shouting like a nutter tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmes citizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzen am sure they had special training for that shout.

and i can still hear the guy at queen st station shouting like a nutter tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmes citizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzen am sure they had special training for that shout.

I remember that. And the free posters

Me and my mate used to get a citizen and a times, crisps and juice and sit and read them in the car while, as boys, we waited on our respective fathers coming out of the Honours Three. :beer1: :beer1: Sometimes til near shutting time, least that's what it felt like.

I remember that. And the free posters

Me and my mate used to get a citizen and a times, crisps and juice and sit and read them in the car while, as boys, we waited on our respective fathers coming out of the Honours Three. :beer1: :beer1: Sometimes til near shutting time, least that's what it felt like.

My old man used to leave me outside Baxters on matchdays. He'd come out after a couple and say, aye, was talking to Jim, he was going to come out and see you but he was to busy, son. Wafflin' bastard ! :D

My grandpa would buy me one at the paper vendor , just outside Burtons : at the Paisley cross There was always a Rangers and celtic version : black and white photo with the blue printed shirt.... Jim Baxter, wee Willie Henderson, big George McLean, Jim Forrest , Alex Willoghby to name just a few........If only they were with us now.

Old enough to remember them well. They used to carry a wee report on the reserve game. Back in the days when if Rangers were at Tynecastle, Hearts reserves were at Ibrox. Also remember them having a column that listed what time in the game the goals were scored. Sadly most of the free photos were in a scrapbook I kept as a kid which was "borrowed" and never returned. Still have a few from the late sixties in a second scrapbook.

I worked in the Times office in the square in Paisley after school we delivered the papers with the latest results to the vendors around town I was 14 at the time and it was 1959 the good old days.

I like your avatar bud. Unfortunate choice of year in your name though. :)