From the G Herald

nvager

still out in the coldDARRYL BROADFOOT, Chief Football Writer April 18 2009

Barry Ferguson faces a long journey back to a first-team return after training with the youth team on his return from suspension at Murray Park yesterday.

The deposed Rangers captain is unlikely to make a return to the squad for tomorrow's Clydesdale Bank Premier League match against Hibernian at Easter Road, but the outlook is brighter for Allan McGregor. The goalkeeper trained with the new first-choice, Neil Alexander, Graeme Smith and the coach, Jim Stewart, and The Herald understands he is likely to be included as a substitute.

Smith has yet to finalise his plans for the pair, but it is almost certain McGregor will return before Ferguson. The goalkeeper showed a greater degree of contrition and accountability when informed on Wednesday that both he and Ferguson would be available again for selection.

advertisement

Alexander has proved an able deputy and will not be dropped without merit.

Nonetheless, there are concerns that his attempts to justify his elevated status have resulted in unnecessary risk-taking and McGregor could return for next week's Homecoming Scottish Cup semi-final against St Mirren, as a tester before the Old Firm derby at Ibrox on May 9.

"I haven't made up my mind yet," said Smith yesterday. "Before you read too much into it, the goalkeepers are different, they train together as a group."

Sasa Papac has returned from injury and will replace Steven Whittaker at left back, while Kenny Miller is available again after reacting positively to medication for a nerve injury at the top of his hamstring.

Steven Smith is also likely to keep his place on the left side of midfield after a long-awaited return in the 3-1 win against Motherwell at Ibrox last weekend, a performance that could well salvage his Rangers career.

"Steven played in a different position to his preferred role at left back but I think he has done enough to warrant staying in," said Smith. "Sometimes things like that happen. He has been out for an awful long time and everybody who played in his position did well, so it was difficult for him to get back."I do not know if it was inspiration or desperation that prompted me to pick him after such a long time, but he did well enough and you can never tell what might happen as a result. It might turn out to be something that can work on a regular basis because he brings balance to that side being naturally left-footed."

Well what do you all think about the S Smith part of the article?

Glad to see him (a youngster) get his chance in the Rangers team. Hopefully that's his injury problems behind him now and can look towards a bright future

I'm sure he has played in that position before, the season (Sure it was the year we last won the league) where we went up to Pittodrie to play Inverness, he was on the bench that day and Big Eck brought him on wide left and he set up the goal for Dado. Game finished 1-1

His tackling would need to be better, I can't see another referee letting him off with so many mistimed tackles again.

No surprises, why on earth would you ever play a winger on the left wing, why would you ever take a highly promising 19 yr old Spaniard on a 2 yr loan when a player who was finished by all accounts and being touted to all in January can get a game ahead of you.

A RB at LB

A CB at RB

A LB on the left wing

A CM on the right wing

it was desperation Walter because you don't trust all the players at your disposal, even though you needed 28 senior pros.

His tackling would need to be better, I can't see another referee letting him off with so many mistimed tackles again.

No surprises, why on earth would you ever play a winger on the left wing, why would you ever take a highly promising 19 yr old Spaniard on a 2 yr loan when a player who was finished by all accounts and being touted to all in January can get a game ahead of you.

A RB at LB

A CB at RB

A LB on the left wing

A CM on the right wing

it was desperation Walter because you don't trust all the players at your disposal, even though you needed 28 senior pros.

i agree with your first comment here as i watched the game on tv as i do most games now.being a ref in the local leagues its hard to look at some of his tackles in last weeks game and see why they were not yellows now even allowing for his time out of first team action as a pro he should know how to tackle if his natural position is LB but saying that over all he had a good return so good luck to him just hope he calms down in the tackle or we could lose him again either to reds or him injuring himself when he cocks up his tackles

I have said quite a few times here that Smith is better suited as a midfielder than as a full back. I do not rate him as a full back because of his poor positional sense and the amount of time and space he gives to wide opponents.However he is one of our best crossers of a ball and can get into good areas as a midfield player in our troublesome position. The fact that Walter prefers more defensive than attacking wide men stands him in good stead.

Aaron would be as well going back to Valencia.

I don't want Rangers saddled with the tag of ruining two years of such a promising career.

The sad thing is if he had played a few good games for a bottom six spl club Walter would probably have paid a couple of million for him and given him a chance of games. Pointless Aaron being here to make up numbers on the bench.

I don't want Rangers saddled with the tag of ruining two years of such a promising career.

The way you've been going on in the past few months it's Aaron FC.

We have 3 wins in a row, and Smith did well given his chance. For whatever reason, Aaron is not being picked. Maybe for the same reason Fleck isn't - young and inexperienced in this league. Who knows.

Point is Smith is a natural left midfielder - and gives effective width over there.

As long as this team keeps winning, and the players picked perform, as Smith did, I'm not going to complain if we ruin the career of Aaron. That's not anywhere near as important as winning the league. For me.

I have said quite a few times here that Smith is better suited as a midfielder than as a full back. I do not rate him as a full back because of his poor positional sense and the amount of time and space he gives to wide opponents.However he is one of our best crossers of a ball and can get into good areas as a midfield player in our troublesome position.

Agreed. We haven't had any stability over there. Fleck, Novo, McCulloch, Aaron, Beasley - all have tried and failed to make the position their own.

If I am honest, Smith has been the most natural there and the most at home. He's pretty weak as a LB, but as we have both always said, he balances the middle of the team rather well and I am more than happy for him to continue in that position.

We have 3 wins in a row, and Smith did well given his chance. For whatever reason, Aaron is not being picked. Maybe for the same reason Fleck isn't - young and inexperienced in this league. Who knows.

Point is Smith is a natural left midfielder - and gives effective width over there.

As long as this team keeps winning, and the players picked perform, as Smith did, I'm not going to complain if we ruin the career of Aaron. That's not anywhere near as important as winning the league. For me.

Did he not pick Fleck for one of the games though?

I'm just one for playing people in their natural position really, as Smith is a left back. He wasn't brilliant against Motherwell, but he done as well as he could in the circumstances and although I've got no problems with him in, I'd still rather see players in their positions.

I would be worried about ruining the career of promising young players, because in this era of 'credit crunch', we could quite feasibly end up loaning more players than we buy - and we'd do well to keep up a good reputation in that area.

I'm just one for playing people in their natural position really, as Smith is a left back. He wasn't brilliant against Motherwell, but he done as well as he could in the circumstances and although I've got no problems with him in, I'd still rather see players in their positions.

In that case Aaron plays in the hole, not the left wing. A free roaming Kaka type. No?

I would be worried about ruining the career of promising young players, because in this era of 'credit crunch', we could quite feasibly end up loaning more players than we buy - and we'd do well to keep up a good reputation in that area.

But football isn't run like a normal business - never has been, never will be. And we'd have to pay £3M quid in the first place to keep him.

Which isn't money I can ever see Uncle Walter shelling out for a 19 year old.

In that case Aaron plays in the hole, not the left wing. A free roaming Kaka type. No?

But football isn't run like a normal business - never has been, never will be. And we'd have to pay £3M quid in the first place to keep him.

Which isn't money I can ever see Uncle Walter shelling out for a 19 year old.

I get confused when you split up my posts like that :lol:

He's always seems as comfy on either wing as he has in behind the front pair when I've watched him, although I personally don't know what position is his 'favoured' one.

And I didn't mean the 2nd part in terms of buying them. When clubs are looking to loan their best young players out for 'experience' to a tougher league, you don't want them looking at Rangers and thinking that we ruined any player.

As I've said, I have no problems with Smith back in. He's done really well over the past month or two in terms of losing the excess weight he was carrying and looked decent against the 'Well, but it just made me think: "Why did we bother with Aaron?".

IMO both Papa and Danny have good points.

Aaron has shown good potential, but seldom gets used and Smith diid well in left midfield and is a natural at that position. Walter however decides and from his comment in the article in the OP it looks as if Smith might be getting another chance vs Hibs.

My thoughts exactly. (tu)

Aaron has looked promising in his cameo appearances so far, but on no occasion has he ripped teams apart in the manner of a Davie Cooper or even a Willie Johnston. The almighty clamour for him to be used is based on wishful thinking rather than hard evidence. Also, he's not going back to Valencia any time soon, as his loan deal still has another season to run and Valencia are happy for him to remain here.

I wasn't overly impressed with Stevie Smith last week, but I can see why Walter might stick with him. His future is probably at left-midfield too, so what's the problem with playing him there?

It's good to have him back and I hope he can put in a good performance tomorrow. I think its too soon to worry about Aaron, I'm sure we'll see more of him next season probably starting with a good pre season, from there we can see how he handles playing for large periods without risking too much.

Good. I always thought Stevie Smith had the potential to be as good as Hutton. Both really excelled under PLG, as did Charlie Adam. Rangers almost made the mistake of punting Hutton for under half a million prior to PLG. I know Stevie Smith has had a bad hip injure, but i think given a run, he can get back to full fitness, and we can see him looking good again.

not convinced about smith to be honest, Looked fairly promising in a really bad Paul le guen team. Would much rather having an actual winger played out there, Arron? He has done well a couple of times coming of the bench but didnt have the best of games in his start against Hamilton. I think he should be given another chance though

Arron was playing for Spain under 20's during the week and scored did he not?

Think it was the U-21's, and it was 0-0 with Sweden (tu)

My brother talks pish then. :lol:

no your brother was right it was the under 20s and spain won 2-0 with aaron scoring