Players Dying During Their Career?

And this croatian guy :anguish:

29.03.2008. in match in First Croatian League, Zadar player Hrvoje Custic, in fourth minute after one duel has hit concrete wall with his head. Injuries sustained were fatal and regretfully he passed away on 03.04.2008.

R.I.P. I upload this video since it provides somewhat clearer view of accident.

A concrete wall right on the touchline. That is tragic. WTF is a concrete wall doing there ? doh:(

Escobar (Colombia) got shot after his OG knocked them out of WC '94.

Also, one of the Rangers hall of famers died of a disease age 32 (I think.) He was pre WW2 and I can't remember his name for the life of me.

Also, one of the Rangers hall of famers died of a disease age 32 (I think.) He was pre WW2 and I can't remember his name for the life of me.

Alex Venters is in the Hall Of Fame but did not die during his football career! He was a prolific scorer against the bheggars died at 45. :sherlock:

Alex Venters (Inside Left, 1930-33) – Cowdenbeath boy Alex Venters left school and took up employment with local printers Given & Paton whilst playing for Cowdenbeath based juvenile club Southend Rovers. Cowden soon signed him and farmed him out to St Andrew's United. Cowdenbeath called up the 17 year old Venters towards the end of 1930. He was soon the club’s brightest star.

Cowdenbeath FC, however, had been badly affected by the industrial recession. The club relied on transferring its stars to survive and replacing those who departed from a conveyor belt of new talent. Cowden managed to resist all overtures for Venters until season 1933/34 when Alex Venters was selected to represent Scotland v Ireland. Cowden, however, were rooted at the foot of the table and with their finances at a low ebb had little option but to sell their prize asset. £2,000 took him to Ibrox Park at the age of 20 after scoring 37 goals in 95 top flight league games

Venters possessed the traditional virtues of the Scottish inside-forward allied to an impressive physique. Although only 5ft 7ins tall and 11st 9lbs, Venters was phenomenally fit and strong. He added a harder edge to his game at Ibrox and this coupled to his undoubted talent made him a player who was to terrorise opposition defences for years to come. He was at his peak in season 1938/39 when he was leading scorer in the 1 st Division with 35 goals. In the Ne'erday match at Ibrox, he scored the winner in Rangers famous 2-1 win over Celtic in front of the Ibrox record attendance of 118,730.

Venters was only 26 when war broke out in September 1939 and had won 2 Scottish caps v England to add to the one gained with Cowdenbeath, 2 Scottish Cup winners medals and 3 League championships with Rangers as well as several League caps. His Wartime haul of honours was even more impressive and included 4 wartime championships and 4 Southern League Cup wins. He also made 3 further appearances in the dark blue of Scotland. After the War ended, Venters was transferred to Third Lanark in February 1946. He had scored 207 goals in 420 games for Rangers. A year later, Alex left Cathkin and joined Blackburn Rovers for a £1,000 fee. Then he ended his career with Raith Rovers.

For a time he followed the traditional ex-player's route as mine host at the Railway Tavern at Buckhaven. Later, he returned to his original trade in the printing industry as a linotype operator in the Edinburgh office of the Scottish Daily Mail. On Thursday, April 30 th 1959, Alex Venters was preparing to leave for night duty on the paper when he collapsed and died from a sudden heart attack at his home in Park Street, Cowdenbeath. More recently, Alex Venters memory was perpetuated in Cowdenbeath when the playing field at Park Street was renamed the ' Alex Venters Memorial Park' - his is a legend which still endures.

Not Venters mate, Nicol Smith.

NICOL SMITH

Nicol Smith (1893-1905)

The story of Ayrshire man Nicol Smith is one of the saddest in Rangers' history.

One of Britain's top full-backs of the 1890s, he died tragically from a gastric infection in 1905, aged just 32.

Smith was already a Junior internationalist when Rangers signed him in 1893 and he didn't take long to establish his place in the first team.

A powerfully-built player, Smith was wholly committed and always put the team's cause ahead of his own personal safety.

In his first season his impressive displays helped the Light Blues secure their long-awaited first-ever Scottish Cup triumph when they defeated Celtic 3-1 in the Final.

His partnership with left-back Jock Drummond was arguably Rangers' finest ever and the pair won 25 international caps between them - a fair total for those times.

Sadly fate was to deal a cruel blow when in late 1904 Smith was struck down by enteric fever. He died the following January.

Not Venters mate, Nicol Smith.

NICOL SMITH

Nicol Smith (1893-1905)

The story of Ayrshire man Nicol Smith is one of the saddest in Rangers' history.

One of Britain's top full-backs of the 1890s, he died tragically from a gastric infection in 1905, aged just 32.

Smith was already a Junior internationalist when Rangers signed him in 1893 and he didn't take long to establish his place in the first team.

A powerfully-built player, Smith was wholly committed and always put the team's cause ahead of his own personal safety.

In his first season his impressive displays helped the Light Blues secure their long-awaited first-ever Scottish Cup triumph when they defeated Celtic 3-1 in the Final.

His partnership with left-back Jock Drummond was arguably Rangers' finest ever and the pair won 25 international caps between them - a fair total for those times.

Sadly fate was to deal a cruel blow when in late 1904 Smith was struck down by enteric fever. He died the following January.

Yeah got it Mate you meant pre WW1 ! ;):sherlock: