Gourcuff signs for Bordeaux

French midfielder starlet Yoann Gourcuff has left Milan to sign for Bordeaux, the Ligue 1 side have announced.

Gourcuff arrived at Milan in 2007 from Rennes and was touted as the new Zinedine Zidane.

The talented playmaker didn't have many chances to prove himself and was sent out on loan to Bordeaux.

As part of the agreement, Bordeaux were given the right to make the deal permanent for £15m.

Milan Vice-President Adriano Galliani admitted that he hoped the French outfit wouldn't take that option, but it has been confirmed that Gourcuff is now 100 per cent a Bordeaux player.

Gourcuff has signed a four-year deal and will try and build his career in his homeland.

“I am very happy to continue my adventure that I started with the Girondins,” he enthused.

“I had been thinking about this decision all season and we have created an agreement that suits all parties.

“I would like to thank the directors on both sides for allowing this transfer and I am ready to accept this new challenge.”

Gutted.

This might mean Ancelotti is staying :anguish:

Because Ancelotti simply didn't give him a chance - his preferred position is LM iirc, and Carlo always preferred Seedorf, who tbf was our best player last season (2007/2008) but while Ancelotti always likes to try younger players tentatively (Bonera, Pato, Flamini etc), there just never seemed any give for Gourcuff.

A real shame, he's one of the top 5 players in France these days.

Because Ancelotti simply didn't give him a chance - his preferred position is LM iirc, and Carlo always preferred Seedorf, who tbf was our best player last season (2007/2008) but while Ancelotti always likes to try younger players tentatively (Bonera, Pato, Flamini etc), there just never seemed any give for Gourcuff.

Cheers Danny, dont get to see much Italian football these days what channels are the games shown on, im sure i watched a game on Bravo during last season<cr>

Cheers Danny, dont get to see much Italian football these days what channels are the games shown on, im sure i watched a game on Bravo during last season<cr>

They're not on any British channels at all alas. Not this season anyway.

£15Million :anguish:

Bloody extortionate.

Its a lot of money, but we sometimes underrate the french league and would maybe consider ourselves at a level playing field with the Bordeauxs of the world, yet we could never spend that amount of money on a player

Went the wrong way (tu)

Why? He's already won the league cup, odds on to win the league, plays week in, week out in a decent team where he is valued and allowed to play in his favoured position and will play in the champions league next season. By staying at Bordeaux he will win things, be hero worshipped and have a much greater chance of developing his game than wasting away on the bench at Milan.

Really wish more younger players would put more thought into it before simply jumping at the first chance to move to a big club and probably not play regularly, when they can stay where they are for a few seasons and develop, then move when they're early to mid 20's and reaching their peak.

Milan will regret this.

Yeah, the club will. Ancelotti won't though. Because he's too pig headed to ever admit he got something wrong.

£15Million :anguish:

If Benzema is rated at the £30M level - how is £15M for Gourcuff too much?

I never said it was too much

Then I don't understand your point. Of course the French teams can afford more than us, they're richer and they have higher income.

You've given me an idea for a Bears Den thread :)

His preferred position was attacking mid, which was Kaka's position obviously. I think there were some personal problems between Gourcuff and Ancelotti from what I've read, Gourcuff really didn't seem keen to return with Ancelotti at the helm. He never shined at Milan when he got his chance - too many misplaced passes and he seemed quite lightweight, but you could see the potential was there, that's why a season on loan was perfect for him to develop those talents. Just a shame he choose to continue in Ligue 1 rather than give Serie A another chance.