I could have joined Toon .. the Double shows I was right to say no

MADJID BOUGHERRA has revealed he turned down the chance to quit Rangers in January.

And the Double-winning stopper reckons it's the best decision he ever made.

Bougherra was targeted by relegation-haunted Newcastle United for a bank-busting move to Tyneside.

But the Algerian rejected a quickfire return south and was rewarded with the biggest honours in the Scottish game.

Ex-Charlton ace Bougy said: "Newcastle made an offer for me, but I took the right decision to stay with Rangers.

"I felt that they are the right club for me.

"I did not want to make the same mistake I made two years ago, when I left Sheffield Wednesday for Charlton.

"I knew that I was going to win something with Rangers and that there would be the Champions League for me at the end.

I've got absolutely no regrets about staying. The Rangers fans have welcomed me with open arms. They love me and I love them too.

"It has been a beautiful season for me at Rangers.

"I've won the Double, been voted the Rangers fans' player of the year, and will have the chance of entering the Champions League at the group stage.

"It's been a perfect campaign for me and if Algeria beat Egypt on Saturday it'll be the icing on the cake."

Gers landed Bougy last August after selling fans' favourite Carlos Cuellar to Aston Villa for £8million.

The 26-year-old formed a rock-solid defensive pairing with veteran Ibrox stopper David Weir.

They celebrated a league and cup Double after a remarkable run of ten wins and one draw from their last 11 games. And France-born Bougherra insists his maiden season in Scotland just got better and better.

He added: "There have been three turning points to our season. Firstly when we beat Dundee United and Celtic lost. Then there was our 1-0 win over Celtic, which was the real turning point, and also our win in the Scottish Cup Final.

"I struggled a bit early in the season but I truly exploded once January had gone.

"I felt more at home in the second half of the campaign and really made progress.

"I enjoy making charges upfield and I have to pay tribute to the coaching staff.

"They let me express myself on the ball. And I have improved my skills playing for the Algerian national side. People in Scotland are unused to seeing defenders with technique.

"I can't wait to see who'll be in our Champions League group."

Gers will be among the third group of seeds for the draw in Monte Carlo in August.

That means they're unlikely to be paired with French champs Bordeaux or runners-up Marseille.

Advertisement

But Walter Smith's men could face Lyon for the second time in three years. And Bougy has set his heart on tackling some French opposition.

He added: "We will have a minimum of six games in Europe, even if we get knocked out straight away.

"I hope we will have a French team in our group, so I can show people in France that it is possible to go abroad and still be a success.

"I would prefer us to meet Lyon or Marseille. I'd favour Marseille as I want to play against my friend Karim Ziani and they are the club I have supported since I was a boy.

"But Lyon would be good too, they are not far away from Dijon where I was born."

Bougherra has been hailed by team-mate Kenny Miller for playing a key role in the Double win.

He and midfielder Steve Davis were both signed after the Euro KO in Kaunas.

And Miller believes that their arrival really kickstarted Gers' season.

The hitman said: "All of the new players have come in and done really well.

"Madjid has made a great impact. He has been an absolute rock in the defence.

"When it comes to big games, he is the man who comes to the fore.

"I would also make a special mention of Steve as I feel he has been the player of the season for us.

"He has been outstanding. Every game he is always there, working hard for the team. The quality he brings is immense, he would be on my teamsheet every week."

Miller also wants Gers to make strides in the Champions League next season, NINE years after he scored against Monaco in Europe.

He added: "We would like to think at Rangers we have a big stature as a club.

"Now there's now the lure of Champions League football next season for prospective signings."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...-to-say-no.html

Good choice mate cause you'd been stuck in the Championship next season instead of the Champions League :21:(tu)

or he could have saved them from losing 1 or 2 games and kept them up (tu) either way glad he stayed, what a fuckin player!

Sounds as if he wants to finish off what he started.

Great to have him aboard. :D

(tu) Hit the nail on the head there. Boogie has a lot of unfinished business at Ibrox. We'll see him there for another couple of years.

I LOVE this bit haha, so true

"I enjoy making charges upfield and I have to pay tribute to the coaching staff.

"They let me express myself on the ball. And I have improved my skills playing for the Algerian national side. People in Scotland are unused to seeing defenders with technique.

I really like Bougherra, and he's a quality player, but I seem to remember another Rangers CB saying something similar about a year ago. I'd love it if he stayed, but who knows what the transfer window will bring.

(tu):rolleyes:

He is becoming almost like a better more loyal version of Boumsong.

One of my favourite players, and hope he comes back next year and has a new partner to help him shut out the Champions League strike forces.