Have I missed the 'Ashes' thread?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too far from the truth on BBC website

"Perfect tactics from the Aussies. Give these guys some runs and the England selectors will pick them as all-rounders for the Oval Test, forgetting that they cannot bowl. Expect Harmy to get 50 as well and selected at the Oval. Ashes secure for Australia."

Justin, Australian in Ghana, in the TMS inbox

Australia showing the Oz of old really with that test.

The bowling was controlled and more importantly, they forced the mistakes, rather than going for the 'glory ball' 6 times an over. Ponting's fields were spot on and England's bowlers just didn't look up for it.

(Bopara shouldn't be playing Test Cricket as a #3 and I'm not a massive fan of Cook either).

England showing that all that they criticise him, they are as well not having a middle order without KP. I fully expect the Aussies to see out the series now, with Johnstone and Hilfy both in good form. England only have themselves to blame really. The Australian's have been poor up until this test, and England should have won more than just the one test.

England just don't seem willing to change unless they're forced to, IMO they need 3 or 4 changes from this side, mainly because there is no fear factor of any of these batsmen.. If the Aussie's see the same 11 looking at them at the Oval, they'll immediately feel the confidence they showed over the last 2 and a half days.

If a good England side playing well can't beat a poor Aussie side playing poorly, what does that tell you about the differences in class between the two?

Guest Andypendek

I disagree, I feel England handed this on a plate to Australia without making them work at all. People are commenting on a brilliant spell of bowling for the Aussies on Saturday night - my God, did you see Collingwood fall over to a full length yorker? He was so far over to his right he was virtually fielding at gully...Bopara was unlucky, though he'd probably have been out a few ball later - nevertheless his dismissal owed more to an umpiring error than his helplessness. Indeed, he did quite well to get a nick on a decent ball. You won't see my Bring Back Bell avatar after this summer, but overall it has to be said England threw it away rather than Australia outplayed them.

Certainly, Australia are entitled to try to instill an element of fear in the Englishmen, and attempt to portray their slightly better than mediocre quartet of pacemen as unplayable. The truth, though, is that two average sides are battling out a poor series: even if England select the same XI they go into the Oval test with an even chance of winning, which tells you all you need to know about their opponents.

As to whether they will, I would guess injury will force the selectors hand rather than form. I agree with their policy of keeping the same pool together for a series; there's always next time. It looks likely Anderson will join Freddie on the sidelines, so promote Broad to allrounder at no.7, Swann, Onions, I suppose it'll have to Harmison as there's no-one else, plus either Monty or...er...Bob Willis, or someone. I'd say Sidebottom but there'll be no swing in London.

I disagree, I feel England handed this on a plate to Australia without making them work at all. People are commenting on a brilliant spell of bowling for the Aussies on Saturday night - my God, did you see Collingwood fall over to a full length yorker? He was so far over to his right he was virtually fielding at gully...Bopara was unlucky, though he'd probably have been out a few ball later - nevertheless his dismissal owed more to an umpiring error than his helplessness. Indeed, he did quite well to get a nick on a decent ball. You won't see my Bring Back Bell avatar after this summer, but overall it has to be said England threw it away rather than Australia outplayed them.

Certainly, Australia are entitled to try to instill an element of fear in the Englishmen, and attempt to portray their slightly better than mediocre quartet of pacemen as unplayable. The truth, though, is that two average sides are battling out a poor series: even if England select the same XI they go into the Oval test with an even chance of winning, which tells you all you need to know about their opponents.

As to whether they will, I would guess injury will force the selectors hand rather than form. I agree with their policy of keeping the same pool together for a series; there's always next time. It looks likely Anderson will join Freddie on the sidelines, so promote Broad to allrounder at no.7, Swann, Onions, I suppose it'll have to Harmison as there's no-one else, plus either Monty or...er...Bob Willis, or someone. I'd say Sidebottom but there'll be no swing in London.

would you not bring rob key in andy

was listening to michael holding and he was saying england hae too many bowlers

he reckons they should only have 4 bowlers

I am not the biggest fan of Cricket or am I a great watcher of the game, but, the 'Ashes' has taken me by interest. I have found myself watching it on quite a few occasions and I have to say, I've never seen two teams go from so bad to then a very good team in the matter of days. One minute England are on top of the world after a 'Great Escape' at Cardiff and a 'Masterclass' at Lord's to now a dismal team who can't bat at Headingley. Same goes for Australia, a week ago their bowling attack was a sham and now they've seemingly won them the 'Ashes'. What next?

Guest Andypendek

I don't know if I would bring in Rob Key. He isn't setting any heather on fire, would it not be replacing Bell with another Bell just for the sake of appearances? If he comes in and fails, that's both he and Bell more or less finished at Test level. If Bell plays and fails, there's stilll Key to battle it out with Bopara.

On the BBC: "Ramprakash backed for Test recall"

Personally I'd love him to come back in if it meant getting one last chance to prove himself. I don't believe he has the same flaws he had 7/8 years ago, and lets face it I'd rather he plays than the South African Trott. If only the ECB hadn't ruined him he would have a fine Test record.

It may be straw clutching, but I don't see any options apart from going for an older pro.

Ramprakash would be an interesting one, because without the likes of Warne and McGrath the Aussies don't have the experience to have really seen him before.

Could be the 'secret weapon' England have so badly needed.

And to whoever called the 4 Aussie pacemen 'little more than average'.. Hilfy's the leading wicket-taker and shows good line and length, as well as being able to swing both the new ball, and unlike Anderson IMO, looks just as dangerous with a ball after 30 overs.

England's mistakes have cost them but really, this is one of the poorest Australian sides in recent memory, and the fact that England with Flintoff and KP in their side couldn't put away more than 1 of the opening tests just shows that sometimes the 'big names' just aren't ood enough.

In my opinion, Bopara has never looked a number 3, Bell shouldn't be in the side, and for spells Onions has looked the only competent bowler in the England side.

I'm putting the tin hat on here, but if the Aussie's had a spinner even close to the likes of Warne, and this series would have been over long ago. Hauritz has looked capable of taking wickets, and if he's in the team, could do real damage at the oval.

The England selectors should move Bopara to #5 and call up someone else for the #3.

Guest Andypendek

Well, having been treated to the sight of Alderman, Lawson, Gillespie and McGrath, even whichever Waugh it was who bowled, over my cricket watching years you'll have to forgive me if I remain underwhelmed by the bowling of Hilfenhaus.

11 days time.

William Hill give 7-2 for England to regain the ashes.

That's worth a punt, Australia have shown in this series they're prone to a disastrous batting collapse. England were woeful the other day and you're only as good as your last game. Worth a punt at those odds.

Ramprakash is a step backwards for me. The media are desperate! He's awful at dealing with pressure.

11 days time.

That's worth a punt, Australia have shown in this series they're prone to a disastrous batting collapse. England were woeful the other day and you're only as good as your last game. Worth a punt at those odds.

Ramprakash is a step backwards for me. The media are desperate! He's awful at dealing with pressure.

For that, read Ian Bell :anguish:

11 days time.

For that, read Ian Bell :anguish:

I've read a few articles tonight saying they want him to open. :anguish:

I would go with Broad and Cook to open with Strauss near the end.

It's Ramprakash's home ground and he's on form domestically, but he's 39, hasn't played for England in 7 years, collapses under pressure and his test average is 27. Key's on a bit of form for Kent has still been in England squads recently, has Ashes experience and a decent record against the Australians. While i really do prefer Bopara to Bell as a batsman, Bell has no mental strength as seen by his constant failure to turn starts into big scores, but Bopara is horrendously out of sink just now. I'd rest him for the final test, Key in at 3, Bell at 4 and just hope Collingwood finally shows some staying power. It's not great but there aren't many options.

Broad bowled comparably better at Headingly because he was bowling on a consistent line and length, he needs to do that more often and realise he isn't Flintoff and he's never going to be able to consistently bang in short balls at 90+mph.

Guest Andypendek

The latest word from the CE of Somerset is that Trescothick shouldn't be ruled out...I wonder what that means? If he's willing to play he should be in beside Strauss straight away, Cook to 3, Key at 4, Collingwood, Flintoff, Prior, Broad, Anderson, Swann, Onions. There's a lot of runs in that team if they screw the nut, plus you've got 5 bowlers and Collingwood.

Any time I put on the 2005 series it brings home how good Tres was and is.