Liverpool agree Aquilani deal

Liverpool have announced a deal with Roma for midfielder Alberto Aquilani, pending a medical.

The move had been in the air for some time, but stepped up once Xabi Alonso had been released to Real Madrid for £30m.

No figures have been confirmed yet, but it is believed Roma will pocket around £16m for the Giallorossi player.

“Liverpool FC today confirmed they have agreed a deal with AS Roma for the transfer of Italian international Alberto Aquilani, subject to a medical,” read a statement on the club website.

“Liverpool concluded their discussions with Roma once the sale of Xabi Alonso to Real Madrid was finally agreed.

“Aquilani, who recently celebrated his 25th birthday, is expected to feature heavily for Italy in next year's World Cup finals.”

Coach Rafa Benitez also commented on the arrival of Aquilani to the Premier League.

"Alberto is a very good player and I'm delighted we've reached agreement with Roma for his transfer,” said Benitez.

“He will travel to Merseyside later this week for a medical. Alberto has a winning mentality and great experience in both Serie A and the Champions League.

"He has long been recognised as a top class talent in Italy, captaining his country at both Under-19 and Under-21 levels before establishing himself in the senior national side."

I said it in another thread, but I don't think he'll fit into the Liverpool team at all.

So Liverpool think they’ve signed a great player? Possibly, but for now all they have acquired is potential – and at quite a price. In the long run it may turn out to be a masterstroke by the Merseysiders, but at present the only winners in Alberto Aquilani’s move to Anfield are Roma.

Netting around £20m for an individual who has spent more time on the treatment table than on the pitch during his career so far is some shrewd piece of business by the capital giants. He’s undoubtedly a good player, but he’s not proved himself – physically, tactically or mentally – to warrant such a fee.

One has to question the wisdom of Rafa Benitez. He may have got £30m from Real Madrid for Xabi Alonso, but the Spaniard is the finished product and Aquilani, much to the disappointment of Azzurri fans, is not.

In some ways Alberto is a myth of the Italian game. Tipped for stardom from a young age, he was the latest born and bred Roman to follow in the footsteps of talismanic captain Francesco Totti and Daniele De Rossi, thus expected to play in that same shirt for life.

It just hasn’t happened for AA though. He’s been dogged by injury problems for years, so much so that he hasn’t played in more than 25 championship games in one season since 2004-05. And at the age of 25, he has just 11 international caps to his name.

Yet, in my mind at least, it isn’t his misfortune with injuries which forces me to question Aquilani as the top class footballer that he is reputed to be. Giallorossi boss Luciano Spalletti gave the impression that he was never really convinced by him. Offered a choice between Alberto and David Pizarro, Spalletti would, more often than not, go for his former Udinese pupil.

Roma, as a club, must also have not been totally convinced that Aquilani was the star who they have been raving about for years. Their financial position has meant that they’ve had to sell one big name player every summer to keep the books in some sort of shape, but surely not their latest prodigal son?

After all, they only recently offered him a contract renewal, one which took an age to complete. We have to cynically ask whether that new deal was born out of the club’s belief in his talents or designed to ensure that his market value remains high before he fell into the Bosman affected last year of his contract.

Nice wee article on Aquilani's move to Liverpool.

How are Liverpool going to line up? <cr>

Will Gerrard be dropped into defensive mid alongside Mascherano or will it be Aquilani?

Will Lucas come in ( :anguish: ) leaving Gerrard and Aquilani to fight it out for slot in behind Torres?

Will Gerrard be deployed on the right in place of Kuyt?

I'm confused :(

Kuyt Aquilani Mascherano Riera

Gerrard

Torres

I'd imagine they'll play something like that. Benitez is taking a massive gamble paying the price he is for Aquilani and it may just backfire on him.

My worry for Roma is that they haven't really strengthened at all.

Top 2 aside(Inter and Juve), it is anyone's guess what Serie A will look like at the end of the season.

We're skint :anguish:

As I said before though, we have massive potential.

Totti on his way out anol? Last I heard he was going to Westham. Pleassse tell me that's bull shit.