Can anyone explain the Rothen/Zidane controversy?

dundeebear3

On October 8, 2008, Jérôme Rothen published his autobiography You're Not Going To Believe Me. The book has generated significant attention in the media, notably for its description of an incident concerning Zinédine Zidane, his former teammate in the France national team.

According to Rothen, the incident occurred during the second leg of Monaco's 2004 Champions League quarter-final win over Real Madrid. Monaco had overturned a 4-2 first leg deficit, and were 3-1 up with seconds left to play when Zidane tackled Rothen from behind. "It was a foul and I went down, admittedly I made a bit more of it, but anyone would have done the same, as we were trying to buy some seconds," Rothen wrote. "Zidane leant over me and said: 'Get up, you son of a bitch.'"

The expression Rothen claims Zidane used, 'fils de pute', is a variation on what Marco Materazzi is alleged to have said to Zidane before the head-butt that proved the iconic moment of the 2006 World Cup final. "I was surprised but put it down to his frustration, and I expected him to apologise at the end of the game, but he said nothing," Rothen continued. "I thought the next time we saw each other with the France team he would say sorry, and then it would be forgotten, but he didn't and that disappointed me."

'fils de pute' = Son Of A Prostitute !!!

what dont you understand? Zidane called him a son of a bitch (fils de pute).

"The expression Rothen claims Zidane used, 'fils de pute', is a variation on what Marco Materazzi is alleged to have said to Zidane"?

And does "fils de pute" accurately translate as Son of a bitch?

what dont you understand? Zidane called him a son of a bitch (fils de pute).

And does "fils de pute" accurately translate as Son of a bitch?

There are a few variations of what this can mean ,

(vulgar, derogatory) Son of a prostitute : whoreson, son of a whore.

(vulgar, offensive) Objectionable person : son of a bitch, motherfucker, bastard.

(vulgar, offensive) Objectionable thing : son of a bitch.

(vulgar, derogatory) Fils de pute de + noun : motherfucking, goddamn.