Walter saved Bougy from 2 reds

ShaneRalfRoss

Walter saved Bougy from 2 reds

By DEREK McGREGOR and ROGER HANNAH

Published: 14 Sep 2009

rigTeaserImage

WALTER SMITH saved Madjid Bougherra from a SECOND red card by telling him to say sorry to ref Dougie McDonald.

Bougy landed two bookings for his wild protests at McDonald's penalty award at Motherwell on Saturday.

SunSport understands the Gers ace could have faced further trouble for continuing his complaints on the way off the pitch.

But a potential second flashpoint was defused when Bougy apologised after post-match advice from his gaffer.

The centre back was accompanied to the ref's room at Fir Park by a Gers security officer.

McDonald accepted his apology and limited his punishment to one red card, which will mean a one-match ban.

The ref said: "He apologised for his outburst and was very remorseful for his conduct.

"I think it was a very decent touch by him."

McDonald gave a penalty, which Jim O'Brien saw Allan McGregor save, for Bougherra's late trip on Well sub Lukas Jutkiewicz in the 0-0 draw.

The defender was fuming and landed a first yellow for his loud and lengthy protests.

The ref then flashed a second yellow and red as captain David Weir tried to haul back the centre half.

Fourth official Chris Boyle is understood to have been unhappy at the Algerian's aggressive attitude.

But he will face no more punishment after a heartfelt apology to the officials.

Bougherra will now miss Saturday's SPL trip to Kilmarnock, with Lee McCulloch set to step back into defence.

The SFA's Head of Referee Development Hugh Dallas said: "Bougherra was sent off as a result of two yellow cards.

"The first was for dissent and the second as a result of continued infringement of the rules, in this case also relating to dissent.

"I would, however, like to commend the player for going to the referee's room to apologise for his actions."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...rom-2-reds.html

The first was for dissent? So it wasnt for conceding a penalty?

The first was for his direct protests to the ref, but the second (which was also for 'dissent'), appears to have been for his actions while walking away from the ref, which for me, were NEVER a bookable offense!! He should NOT have been sent off, so I'm a bit dismayed at reading so many people saying they're disappointed with Boogie. It's the ref that was disappointing imo!

The first was for his direct protests to the ref, but the second (which was also for 'dissent'), appears to have been for his actions while walking away from the ref, which for me, were NEVER a bookable offense!! He should NOT have been sent off, so I'm a bit dismayed at reading so many people saying they're disappointed with Boogie. It's the ref that was disappointing imo!

well I think it says it all about his protests when the initial penalty wasnt even given a yellow, boogie still went OTT imo

well I think it says it all about his protests when the initial penalty wasnt even given a yellow, boogie still went OTT imo

Maybe so, but loads of players around the country protest penalty decisions every week & don't get booked. It takes something excessive in terms of protest for a ref to pull out a single yellow!!

He should know to zip it, especially after a first yellow. What is protesting going to achieve anyway?

After the first yellow, his protest wasn't even directed at the ref. He was walking away in a manner which was just annoyance regarding the situation & the fact that the penalty had been given & possibly lost us the game & for some reason the ref deemed his actions while walking away from him as another dissent offense. All very strange, but the second yellow was definitely a shocking decision by the ref imo.

Am I misunderstanding what happened? Is it just me that thinks he shouldn't have been sent off??

It's very unusual for a player to get two yellows in quick succession, both for dissent. I think it's a possibility that the second one was unjustified. But I suspect we'll never get an explanation of exactly what happened.

what is the difference from the dive rooney did that was getting talked about just days after the eduardo incident, to me there was no difference from the motherwell player and what rooney did, he was throwing the weight of his body downwards fooling the ref, to me boogie was undeserving of a red card, people should make there mind up with what is trying to fool the ref and what is a genuine foul. he did make contact and it was a penalty but NOT a red card

The red wasn't for the challenge mate...

yeh right enuff, so he must have said something that was serious enough to merit it, so it must be in his notes and surely would get printed in the press as things like this never go a miss do they, all confusing really but i dont think he did anything from what i saw, hence must have said really harsh words

As far as I can tell the sending-off looks harsh. As mentioned above Boogie gets the second yellow while walking away:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8253592.stm

A question is raised about consistency of refereeing when you see the same referee giving Scott McDonald just a yellow for repeatedly berating him. (Did the player call the ref a a "fucking cheat" - supposedly a big no-no?):

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=10py5ht&s=5