Walter's post match reaction

Boab

Lindsay Herron reports from Ibrox

WALTER SMITH cursed his luck and the referee as Rangers crashed to their worst European home defeat in 14 years tonight, losing 4-1 to Sevilla.

The manager was bamboozled by referee Jonas Eriksson's incredible decision not to award a penalty for Rangers nine minutes before half-time.

It was clear that Abdoualy Konko tripped Stevie Naismith and, given it was a goal-scoring opportunity, he should have been sent off.

Neither a penalty nor a red card was awarded by the referee to the astonishment and fury of Rangers.

To rub salt into the wounds it was Konko who headed Sevilla into the lead in the second half as the Spaniards clinically took their chances and in the end were worthy winners.

Smith said: "You can't say it was a turning point overall. However, when we play against teams of the level of Seville we need a set of circumstances to go with us and they didn't do so.

"It was a vital decision for us in that first half period. I felt for an hour of the game we played well tonight and during that period we need a bit of a break and we didn't get it.

"The referee had two decisions to make; one, whether it is a penalty or not which was clearly shown that it was and then the second one is that he has to send the player off.

"That makes it awkward for the referee but I think tonight he opted out of what was a very clear-cut decision.

"You have to say that at Champions League level you would expect a better decision from what was a clear-cut circumstance.

After that I felt our best spell was in the opening moments of the second half of the game.

"We had a couple of corner kicks and a couple of free kicks around the box and we pinned them back for a period.

"Then from one of those a Seville player clearly headed the ball out and inside of giving a corner they gave a goal kick.

"Seville then went up the pitch and one a free kick they should not have had in my opinion and from that free kick they scored a goal.

"After that we had to open up play and Seville showed their quality in terms of their finishing but I was a little disappointed at our own defending,

"It was a strange game because had we gone ahead we might have gone on to acquit ourselves well."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/He...1812607,00.html

I disagree, I think the Penalty decision just before half-time was the turning point.

I hate blaming refs too, i always feel that 1 or 2 decisions shouldnt decide a game that lasts for 90 mins! But it would of been interesting to see how Sevilla would of reacted if they had to chase us if we converted the penalty!

Lindsay Herron reports from Ibrox

WALTER SMITH cursed his luck and the referee as Rangers crashed to their worst European home defeat in 14 years tonight, losing 4-1 to Sevilla.

The manager was bamboozled by referee Jonas Eriksson's incredible decision not to award a penalty for Rangers nine minutes before half-time.

It was clear that Abdoualy Konko tripped Stevie Naismith and, given it was a goal-scoring opportunity, he should have been sent off.

Neither a penalty nor a red card was awarded by the referee to the astonishment and fury of Rangers.

To rub salt into the wounds it was Konko who headed Sevilla into the lead in the second half as the Spaniards clinically took their chances and in the end were worthy winners.

Smith said: "You can't say it was a turning point overall. However, when we play against teams of the level of Seville we need a set of circumstances to go with us and they didn't do so.

"It was a vital decision for us in that first half period. I felt for an hour of the game we played well tonight and during that period we need a bit of a break and we didn't get it.

"The referee had two decisions to make; one, whether it is a penalty or not which was clearly shown that it was and then the second one is that he has to send the player off.

"That makes it awkward for the referee but I think tonight he opted out of what was a very clear-cut decision.

"You have to say that at Champions League level you would expect a better decision from what was a clear-cut circumstance.

After that I felt our best spell was in the opening moments of the second half of the game.

"We had a couple of corner kicks and a couple of free kicks around the box and we pinned them back for a period.

"Then from one of those a Seville player clearly headed the ball out and inside of giving a corner they gave a goal kick.

"Seville then went up the pitch and one a free kick they should not have had in my opinion and from that free kick they scored a goal.

"After that we had to open up play and Seville showed their quality in terms of their finishing but I was a little disappointed at our own defending,

"It was a strange game because had we gone ahead we might have gone on to acquit ourselves well."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/He...1812607,00.html

I disagree, I think the Penalty decision just before half-time was the turning point.

A refreshing, excuse free summary by Smith there.