Is this a potentially stronger defensive line?

Zappa

Was thinking about how poor Whittaker has looked at right back at times, how Papac's positional sense at left back can be so dire & how Weir is just shot for pace these days & was contemplating what options there are for rearranging our defense with the players we have available. What would you think about this back line??

:bougherra: :wilson: :papac: :ssmith:

Could that improve our tried & tested back line that conceded 4 goals on Tuesday night?

i really need to see Wilson in action to comment on the lad

I haven't seen him myself either, but going by what other posters on here have said having seen him play several times, he sounds like he could be an asset to our defense rather than a liability.

are you seriously saying boogie RB and papac CB ??????

The problem with our back line is we are too slow if we get caught on counter.

Tuesday first half we played way more attacking than usual, but led us to get caught at the back.

If we sat back it would never have happened - but im glad we took the game too them for a change - just had no luck.

are you seriously saying boogie RB and papac CB ??????

Yes, I'm thinking about it. I can't help thinking that Bougherra would be a better RB than Whittaker. Papac @ CB is another story, but he seems to do a lot of covering for Weir in the center when he's playing LB anyway, so it's maybe not such a leap to suggest dropping Weir at some point in favour of Papac. It's just a thought.

Was thinking about how poor Whittaker has looked at right back at times, how Papac's positional sense at left back can be so dire & how Weir is just shot for pace these days & was contemplating what options there are for rearranging our defense with the players we have available. What would you think about this back line??

:bougherra: :wilson: :papac: :ssmith:

Could that improve our tried & tested back line that conceded 4 goals on Tuesday night?

That defence would have shipped about 10 goals. If Walter isn't even risking guys like Wilson against Hamilton I don't see a future for him at us.

How about;

:bougherra: :wilson: :weir: :wylde:

Aye, both Wylde & Kinniburgh are options for LB. (tu)

It would be nice to see Big Boughy given the chance to attack much more, while us knowing he can defend unlike Whittaker. Also Wilson under Davie Weir's wing would only mean good things for the lads education on becoming a great centre half.

Someone get on the phone to old Watty (tu)

I think once Broadfoot is fit we should have him in at centre back tbh, he was absolutely brilliant for st mirren there and was club captain so id defo have him there beside bougherra, granted if we had another decent center half then we could move bougherra out to full back or even in midfield, but we dont. davie weir is okay for the spl but im sure broadfoot would be a good long term option to replace him. steven whittaker at right back is okay going forward but his defensive skills leave alot to be desired. always lets the man go onto his left or even right and swing the ball in, I remember last season at tannadice when we were 1-0 up at half time, dundee united came out and whittaker backed off his man, didnt shut him down, let him go onto his right and from both crosses dundee united scored. Whittaker isnt good enough for right back at rangers but at the moment with smith reluctant to play kids its our only option.

I can see where youre coming from with Bougherra at RB. Hes good going forward and can defend. Wilson we need to see more of. I would have liked him to be tried out in pre-season but that didnt happen. I thought it would with Weir the way he is. WRONG!! doh

Whatever would be better in the long term, Walter wont start experimenting now.

Sad, but true. :anguish: ...I really wanted to see Wilson & one or two other youngsters featured early this season simply because early would be better than later. I can actually see it being forced on Walter later in the season through injuries/suspensions & having not given them their chance early in the season it could end up coming back to haunt him. It's not good at all seeing Lee McCulloch being brought in to play center back because he looks likely to cost us dearly playing there.

Sad, but true. :anguish: ...I really wanted to see Wilson & one or two other youngsters featured early this season simply because early would be better than later. I can actually see it being forced on Walter later in the season through injuries/suspensions & having not given them their chance early in the season it could end up coming back to haunt him. It's not good at all seeing Lee McCulloch being brought in to play center back because he looks likely to cost us dearly playing there.

I dont know why but today a lot of clubs, definitely Rangers are unwilling to give youngsters experience. All we hear is talk about 'theres plenty of time', not ready yet' etc. Pisses me right off to be honest. It was never the case a few years ago.

Danny is best mates with my neighbour and having seen him play and talk to him on a few occasions, he has so much potential and will be used at some point this season but according to him its a year to early as far as Walter tells him and I think he agrees with him!