I am a Ranger at Heart........

royalbluebell

Found this among some old treasures, but who said it?

I have never been much of a one for watching, preferring to take a more active part in games whenever the opportunity has occured. But, as a boy, like nearly everyone else in Aberdeen, I'd go to watch the Rangers. A visit from the mighty men of Ibrox is something special in any town - gala day. The crowds flock to see them. No wonder every boy dreams of the day when he might wear the blue shirt.

No matter what your "first claim" club may be, Rangers will always have a particular place in your heart if you are a Scot, because the club represents all that is best in Scottish football. Every possible domestic honour has come to Ibrox, and International fame as well.

As a professional footballer, I have had the good fortune to travel widely-to Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Austria, Hungary, Denmark, Holland-and wherever I have been, the name "Glasgow Rangers" is known and greatly respected. How I wish I could have been among the 10,000 fans who welcomed home those Rangers heroes from Russia last June. My hand would have been out to "shake" with them on their superlative perforance.

Players like Willie Waddell and George Young were the idols of my boyhood. Today, I am proud to play for my country alongside such modern heroes as Eric Caldow, Davie Wilson, Ralph Brand, Bobby Shearer and Jimmy Baxter. Yes, it's a thrill to play with Rangers footballers. They are my friends on and off the field.

You see, Rangers represent the spirit of sport and sportmanship. I was thrilled when asked to make this brief comment, and as an "honorary Ranger," I am glad of the opportunity to wish the Blues all the best and continued success in future to the glory of Scottish soccer. One of the first results I look for every week in Scottish football is-yes, you are right, Rangers!

That was too easy, but who's this.....

They call me the Quiet Man. Funny, but I wonder why? Maybe I don't talk so much-but I roar like a dervish when the shots are exploding around me and I feel I can help my mates by positioning them from behind.

Still it isn't so bad to be thought unresponsive-you aren't asked so many silly questions! I had plenty to say, however, the day I became a Ranger, the greatest day of my life, or in the life of any young footballer who has been weaned on the glory of the colours, who has watched in wonder their majesty, sensed their aura of bigness and paid homage to the immortals of the past.

They call me the Quiet Man. Funny, but I wonder why? Maybe I don't talk so much-but I roar like a dervish when the shots are exploding around me and I feel I can help my mates by positioning them from behind.

Still it isn't so bad to be thought unresponsive-you aren't asked so many silly questions! I had plenty to say, however, the day I became a Ranger, the greatest day of my life, or in the life of any young footballer who has been weaned on the glory of the colours, who has watched in wonder their majesty, sensed their aura of bigness and paid homage to the immortals of the past.

Not sure about this one.

Peter McCloy?

Not sure about this one.

Peter McCloy?

(td)

Jerry Dawson?

Is he talking about Barcelona when he mentions Russia?

Think he is talking of Rangers tour of Russia when thousands of fans went to Renfrew Airport to welcome the team back home.

Yes, that's right minstral. Rangers only lost two goals in the tournament each fom free-kicks. They beat Tbilsi Dynamo 1-0, Moscow Locomotive 3-1 and they drew 1-1 with the Russian champions Dynamo Kiev.

Is he talking about Barcelona when he mentions Russia?

Think he is talking of Rangers tour of Russia when thousands of fans went to Renfrew Airport to welcome the team back home.

Ah...that explains the Scottish team mates he mentions.

Who's this?

I've had more ups and downs than a lift boy, yet when I look over my shoulder there is only on "blot" I would erase from my roseate reminiscences.

Once in everyone's life a mistake is made. It seems unbelievable now that I ever wanted to leave Ibrox. But around it came 1959. I was only the thickness of ink from becoming a Manchester United player.

There was nothing lighthearted about my change of mood. I was struggling to find my true form. There seemed only one solution........Get out! It was a dreadful decision to make, for I have always been a True Blue. I must have been a crazy mixed up kid from Cummnock.

United's boss, Matt Busby, made contact and it was arranged that I travel south and have a look at Old Trafford.

Let it be understood that I appreciated and admired the luxury environment of the Manchester set up, but when I saw the strange faces and surroundings, I felt like little boy lost. This was not for me. I came back to Ibrox, the Prodigal had returned.....returned to the warmth and welcome that can only be radiated from the greatest club in Britain-Rangers. I say it in deepest sincerity.

Who's this?

I've had more ups and downs than a lift boy, yet when I look over my shoulder there is only on "blot" I would erase from my roseate reminiscences.

Once in everyone's life a mistake is made. It seems unbelievable now that I ever wanted to leave Ibrox. But around it came 1959. I was only the thickness of ink from becoming a Manchester United player.

There was nothing lighthearted about my change of mood. I was struggling to find my true form. There seemed only one solution........Get out! It was a dreadful decision to make, for I have always been a True Blue. I must have been a crazy mixed up kid from Cummnock.

United's boss, Matt Busby, made contact and it was arranged that I travel south and have a look at Old Trafford.

Let it be understood that I appreciated and admired the luxury environment of the Manchester set up, but when I saw the strange faces and surroundings, I felt like little boy lost. This was not for me. I came back to Ibrox, the Prodigal had returned.....returned to the warmth and welcome that can only be radiated from the greatest club in Britain-Rangers. I say it in deepest sincerity.

I will take a guess and go for Eric Caldow.