Bougherra and Algeria Attacked

Algiers

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

the Egyptians always do that kind of cheap cheating..watch what they did to Drogba and Ivory coast...and against another team....no wonder why they were banned by FIFA in 93...

FIFA should do something...watch this shoking video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7_PP6odQDE

(sorry I misquoted..supposed to be a reply to aussieranger)

absolutely.

they are meeting today and today there will be a verdict.

we don't mind playing the game but we want security for our players and delegation... that was just from the airport to the HOtel next to the airport!...how will it be in the game next to 800000 hostile spectators...and what if Egypt loses..what will happen then???....can be a real catastrophy...FIFA should do something..play in another country or at least in close doors..if not as you said disqualify directly Egypt for this Disgrace.

thats some size of stadium isnt it :craphead:

I'm going to Egypt in December, those gypsy fuckers had better not try that with our transport from the airport to the resort.

Armed guard on every coach, a very dangerous place Egypt. Make sure you do not wander outside of your resort they hound you like nothing you've ever seen.

Lovely weather though.

I'm going to Egypt in December, those gypsy fuckers had better not try that with our transport from the airport to the resort.

Armed guard on every coach, a very dangerous place Egypt. Make sure you do not wander outside of your resort they hound you like nothing you've ever seen.

Lovely weather though.

Aye, me and the Mrs are going for some winter sun. The travel agent recommended it.

Is it dodgy, though? Would you advise against leaving the resort, even if we've planned some sightseeing, camel jockey stuff, sea diving and all that? Also, what's the deal with dress code, can I wear what I want? Someone told me that, as it's an Islamic country, we need to have our legs and shoulders covered.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/20...peat-hate-match

Twenty years on, the 'hate match' between Egypt and Algeria is on again

In 1989 all hell broke loose when Algeria and Egypt met for a World Cup place - the stakes will be just as high when they meet again

Security will be of paramount concern when Egypt frace Algeria. Photograph: Adam Davy/Empics

The World Cup 'hate match' is on again, and if it is anywhere near as bad as the last one it could keep Fifa's disciplinary experts busy – not to mention the police.

One goal on a bumpy pitch in Chililabombwe, northern Zambia, was enough to give Egypt victory in their penultimate qualifier today. When Hosni, player of the tournament in the last African Cup of Nations, scored it in the 69th minute millions celebrated back home in Egypt. It kept alive the African champions' hopes of taking one of the continent's five qualifying places in next summer's finals. All they have to do now is beat Algeria on 14 November, in an exact repeat of what they had to do 20 years ago.

They managed it in 1989, but there was so much trouble around the game that the post-match recriminations dragged all the way to this year. In April Interpol finally dropped an arrest warrant against one of the continent's greatest football heroes, Lakhdar Belloumi, scorer of the winning goal in Algeria's sensational 2-1 win over West Germany in the 1982 World Cup. At last he can travel outside Algeria again. He probably won't risk going to Cairo this week, though, because of what happened in 1989. He would be lucky to get out alive.

A point in Egypt would have taken Algeria to Italia 90, their third finals in succession. The build-up to the match was hostile, as the two countries already had a healthy dislike of each other.

"Get there early" was the message from Egypt's FA to the few foreign journalists who had travelled to Cairo, so they took us in by bus at 10.30am. For a 3pm kick-off. The ground was nearly full already, more than 100,000 packed in with more than four hours to go. At least 20,000 were wearing military uniform, and they joined the rest of the crowd in choreographed swaying to the rousing music blaring from giant speakers placed around the running-track. There were also a number of giant ornamental plants placed near the VIP area, which would become missiles for the Algerians after their 1-0 defeat.

"It was the first big game I ever went to watch with my father," recalls Mido, the former Tottenham and Middlesbrough striker. "There were 125,000 people in the ground, and we were behind the goal. I was only six, and I can remember Hossam Hassan's goal now. It was amazing."Algeria felt the referee had been biased, and when the final whistle went the officials were harassed and surrounded by the entire Algerian contingent, players, coaches, officials. Despite the best efforts of the police it still took the referee eight minutes to reach the safety of the dressing rooms.

The Algerians wanted somebody else to blame, so they turned to the VIP area and heaved plants, dirt and earthenware pots into the seats. Worse was to follow. At a post-match reception, Belloumi 'bottled' the Egyptian team doctor, who was blinded in one eye. Belloumi was back in Algeria when an Egyptian court later convicted him in his absence. He was sentenced to imprisonment and fined.

The incident further soured the relationship between the countries and two years later Egypt refused to send a team to the African Nations Cup in Algeria. They would have been kicked out of Fifa so eventually sent a youth team.

A long history of hatred

Why the hatred? Algerians and Egyptians have never warmed to each other, and they seem to like expressing their feelings through football. Egyptians are seen as snooty and aloof, and there was bad blood between the two countries in the late 1950s, when so many African countries – but not Egypt – were fighting for independence. In an excellent new book on African football, Feet of the Chameleon, Ian Hawkey tells the remarkable story of the FLN footballers, a team of top-division professionals who ditched their clubs in France and raised awareness of Algeria's claims for independence through football matches in north Africa, Asia and eastern Europe. Egypt would not play them.

There was more trouble in the 1970s, when Algerian police waded into Egyptian players and fans during a troublesome All Africa Games match between Libya and Egypt in Algeria. In the 1980s an Olympic qualifier between Algeria and Egypt was repeatedly held up by brawls. And even last season there was trouble at a club game, when Hossam Hassan, scorer of that goal in 1989, and his brother Ibrahim were both banned indefinitely by Fifa for their behaviour after the club they coached, Masri, lost in Algeria. Among other misdemeanours, Ibrahim Hassan assaulted the fourth official.

"When I hit the fourth official, I was trying to defend myself because he held my finger firmly and was about to break it!" said Ibrahim Hassan. "I will not apologise. I do not regret my reactions."

With the countries due to meet in Algeria in June this year (a 3-1 home win), it was time for diplomacy. Algeria's foreign minister started negotiations, the respective Olympic committee presidents came to an agreement, and persuaded the suitably compensated Egyptian team doctor to drop his case against Belloumi.

Both sides will hope for a more peaceful game in the next instalment, and with the stadium now modernised only 74,000 will be there. Algeria have played well and will fancy their chances, but if they come away with the result they need it could be yet more bad news for the Premier league's bottom club, Portsmouth. Nadir Belhadj and, for the first time, Hassan Yebda are in the Algeria team. If they make it to the World Cup finals this week they will be happy to get home safe and sound.

Lovely weather though.

Aye, me and the Mrs are going for some winter sun. The travel agent recommended it.

Is it dodgy, though? Would you advise against leaving the resort, even if we've planned some sightseeing, camel jockey stuff, sea diving and all that? Also, what's the deal with dress code, can I wear what I want? Someone told me that, as it's an Islamic country, we need to have our legs and shoulders covered.

Its a living nightmare if you leave your resort mate, I hate to put you of likes but me and the mrs went in September there and I hated every second of it, if your mrs is big chested then forget it as they will hound her and try and touch her etc........... horrible horrible place

please don't blame Madjid for playing the game, yes he was injured and there was intense effort to get him fit for the game...madjid is our Rock in defence and he is a very very important piece in the team..everybody was praying he will be fit and everybody was asking for him to to do his best to be ready.. u can't imagine how we love him down there because he loves his country and always give his best...that's why he knows the team and the fans rely on him which makes it hard for him to disappoint tand not play especially in a crucial game like that... of course if he is not fit from injury he will not play and we won't risk him.... but we all want him to play... and he feels that responsability, that's why hope you won't blame him. we all know it's been tough for him and for rangers these past 4 weeks but believe me it wasn't intended to be like that... but what to do things happen.... and I wish Madjid will do all he can to make up for that to Rangers and his fans to which and about whom he always said good things.

thank you in advance guys for your understanding and all the best to Rangers from our heart honest to god (on behalf of Madjid if we can permit that and excuse my English , I know it's a disaster!)

good morning Glasgow, good day .... and good night cause it's almost 1 am here and time to sleep)

Best of luck and hope you wish us luck.

can see what you mean Algiers thanks for the insights

by the look of this horror show Madjid may be injured en route to the match let alone on the pitch....very scary stuff

Lovely weather though.

Don't want to put you off mate as its beautiful and you'll have a ball. However you just need to watch yourself. The men are full on perverts and will ogle your Mrs quite openly which can be uncomfortable for her. As soon as you leave the security of a complex you will get tortured.

Going on sight seeing excursions or to do activities should be fine though as they'll be organised and probably accompanied. As far as dress code I'm not sure what the current deal is but both my wife and I wore t- shirts and shorts and that was fine. If you go to Cairo and then the pyramids again just be alert. Its a great experience but don't get on the camels outside the pyramids. They'll charge you a few quid to get on them but then try and stroke you for about forty quid to get off it.

We done several excursions and all were fine but all were as a group and as I mentioned all the coaches had armed guards. Just prepare yourself for men trying to constantly sell you stuff and offering you camels in exchange for your wife.

You will however spend most of your trip inside your complex and so your exposure to this will be limited and relatively calm. My trip was part of a 3 day stop off on a cruise so it was probably a bit more intense. My brother spent a couple of weeks in that resort that they bombed not so long ago ( can't remember the name ).

You'll have a great time you lucky git..

Lovely weather though.

Its a living nightmare if you leave your resort mate, I hate to put you of likes but me and the mrs went in September there and I hated every second of it, if your mrs is big chested then forget it as they will hound her and try and touch her etc........... horrible horrible place

Reading your views made me laugh there because your spot on. My wife is big chested and the men don't even try to disguise their leering. It is a nuts place theres no doubt.

Just prepare yourself for men trying to constantly sell you stuff and offering you camels in exchange for your wife.

:lol:

How many camels? Were you tempted?

I was offered 50 which is the going rate for a big chested bird allegedley! Crazy place but then again a place that must be seen to be believed..........................