Edu Praise For Gers Fans

WilliamFyfe

Edu Praise For Gers Fans

MAURICE EDU has praised the Rangers fans and insisted that the racist insult against him in October was an isolated shock to his system.

Everyone was sickened when it was revealed that Edu was verbally abused after Rangers' defeat by Unirea Urziceni as he walked to collect his car.

However, the American star says it has not soured his time with Rangers in Scotland and he wants to move on.

He said: "The support has been great. The following match had the Show Racism the Red Card action and you could see the fans' reaction to that was great.

"Any time before the incident and since when I have interacted with fans it's been great so that's why it was such a shock when it happened.

"An investigation was undertaken to try to find the people who were involved in that and I'm not sure if any progress has been made but they are out there looking for them and when they catch them action will be taken.

"The fans have been good to me for the most part during my time here and that was just an unfortunate incident that happened.

"It hasn't really tainted my image of the Scottish people or Rangers fans in general.

"It's behind me now and I just want to focus on the football."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/article...46/0,,5,00.html

If its been posted before just close the thread guys. (tu)

Edu Sets Double Target

MO EDU has set a double target of finally get back into action with Rangers and then securing his place with the USA for next summer's World Cup.

The midfield star has been out of action since May following a heavy challenge by Darren Dods on the day Rangers clinched the SPL title at Tannadice.

He is now back training with the first team squad and as he tries to edge closer to a return to action he will obviously be tuned in tomorrow night when the World Cup Finals draw takes place.

He said: "My first target is to get back into the Rangers team but of course my long term goal is to get into the World Cup with the US.

"The fact that we have qualified is great for the country and both me and Beas want to get back into the squad and get ready for South Africa.

"I don't really care who we draw I just want to be there. I just want to play. I just want to experience the whole thing that is being at a World Cup."

Edu needed surgery on his knee after the Dods challenge and it has been a slow recovery process but he feels he is close to making it back.

He said: "Hopefully I'm playing soon. I have been back involved with the team in training recently so that's promising. It's a matter of not looking too far forward and taking it day by day.

"I need to get my sharpness back and get up to speed with training. Right now the knee is feeling pretty good and let's hope it continues that way.

"It's always difficult when you are watching and not playing whether it is through injury or if you are not selected.

"The team has struggled a little bit and that can happen. I think everyone would admit we have not performed as well as we are capable of but there is still a long way to go in the season so we can come back and show what we can do.

"The team spirit is still good. You can tell that we are all still on the same page and we want to get back to our winning ways and performing the way we can.

"The first chance we have is this weekend after our mishap at Aberdeen."

Cant wait till hes back.

Please be bye bye McCulloch

:pierre:

MO EDU says Rangers' bust-ups can put them in perfect shape for a title fight.

Walter Smith's champs have been involved in two amazing in-house scraps.

Madjid Bougherra and Kenny Miller clashed at training at Murray Park last Friday.

Then skipper Davie Weir had a bitter half-time feud with Kyle Lafferty at Pittodrie less than 24 hours later.

But Edu claims the scraps have UNITED the dressing room as Gers fight to retain the SPL title.

The crocked American ace said: "Minor things happen at every club.

"You might have disagreements with someone in any job.

"But it's nothing to worry about and we will all get on with things.

"We are all on the same page in terms of wanting to win games.

"The incidents won't affect us as we have good team morale and spirit. It's not a concern and we won't think twice about it. There might be little minor mishaps here and there.

"Everyone has their own motivation when you're looking to win games.

"It doesn't matter if you have a feud with someone, or are self-driven.

"As long as it benefits the team, it's all fine."

Gers are reeling after back-to-back defeats against Stuttgart and Aberdeen. But they can go back top tomorrow - at least for a couple of hours - if they win at Falkirk.

The trip to Westfield will bring back memories of a crucial 1-0 away win last April.

Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor had just been suspended by Smith after their Scotland shame.

But Gers battled to a win which edged them closer to the title.

Now Edu has challenged his team-mates to repeat the feat against the rock-bottom Bairns.

He added: "It's important we pull together again, especially after two defeats. It's not so much about those things going on behind the scenes.

"Team morale is still high and team spirit is great.

"It's the performance we need to focus on to rebound from losing to Aberdeen."

Midfield powerhouse Edu's not kicked a ball this season after knee surgery and won't be back this side of New Year.

But he believes Gers do have the on-field fight to match the off-field aggression of the past week.

Advertisement

He said: "Aggression is part of my game and it is something the team is more than capable of showing on the pitch.

"Last season, we were aggressive, worked hard and made games difficult for teams.

"This weekend is a chance for us to go and show again what type of team we are.

"We must show that we do have the heart and can get through difficult situations."

Edu missed the Scottish Cup Final and the Confederations Cup after being crocked at Tannadice last May.

But he can now see light at the end of the tunnel after returning to training with his Gers team-mates. He added: "It's been hard to miss out on so much this season. Winning the league guaranteed us a place in the Champions League and I was more than excited about that.

"I was looking forward to it because the Champions League and World Cup are the two tournaments you dream about playing in as a kid.

"I was definitely expecting to be back for the Champions League and hoping to catch at least a few of the games.

"It's been disappointing the injury has taken longer to heal, but I don't regret it.

"I wanted to make sure my knee was perfect and be in a condition where I would not be hesitating at all.

"I wanted to play without any concern or worry.

"What happened is behind me now. All I can do is look in front of me to the future.

"That is the domestic cups, the league and getting into the US World Cup team.

"Madjid and I have joked about the World Cup.

"He keeps saying he wants to play us in the Finals. But I just want to be part of the team. It doesn't really matter to me who we play. Who would I like from the top seeds? Maybe England.

"Or Spain because we played them in the Confederations Cup and I missed out.

"It was the same with Brazil. There are quite a few teams I'd like.

"I suppose if we drew England I could count on a lot of backing from Scotland!"

Edu also broke his silence on the race hate shame after the defeat by Unirea Urziceni.

He was abused by two Gers fans outside Ibrox - but admits other supporters have given him their backing.

He said: "It was more of a shock because it came from our own fans.

"I've taken abuse - not so much the racist stuff - from opposing fans before.

"But I got a lot of emails from Rangers fans and also messages on Twitter.

"Even meeting fans on the street has been great.

"They said the Rangers fans as a whole supported me and were happy I was here."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...or-a-scrap.html