Smith slams Rangers legends

zamba

terrible teams don't win leagues......ridiculous.....

Poor teams do, and we are one of them. Luckily, celtc and the rest of the SPL were worse last season, and we finished strong. A good team would have wrapped the league up by Christmas - celtc were numerous points ahead on a few occassions, and blew it.

Not the worst Rangers team I have seen tho.

It's a ridiculous premise to suggest poor teams manage to win leagues over the course of a season......

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

terrible teams don't win leagues......ridiculous.....

Poor teams do, and we are one of them. Luckily, celtc and the rest of the SPL were worse last season, and we finished strong. A good team would have wrapped the league up by Christmas - celtc were numerous points ahead on a few occassions, and blew it.

Not the worst Rangers team I have seen tho.

It's a ridiculous premise to suggest poor teams manage to win leagues over the course of a season......

Rhyl won the Welsh League last season and they are a poor team. The quality of the opposition is a major factor.

The Legends should shut their mouth and show some respect for the man who helped make them what they are.

Yes, Walter is having serious problems this season but he knows this, he doesn't need the boot put into him by people who are supposed to have Rangers at heart.

Explain to me how Gough and Hateley taking pot shots through the gutter tabloids will help our current situation?

They should be ashamed of themselves.

Exactly mate. We're in desperate times here, so we should be sticking together as a club. None of these petty remarks in the press. It achieves fuck all.

exactly...it was alright in our legends days we had money then....Walter is steering things having been unable to buy a single player for over 18 months now and not knowing if and when we will have money again......tough job for an Old Firm manager

whereas Celtic have splashed out on Mopes and he has had money to spend and will be getting more yet we are managing to keep up with them

no mean feat so I can understand Walter getting fed up with their sniping in the press...he and the squad have enough to contend with

1 SPL Title, 2 Scottish Cups, 1 League Cup, 1 UEFA Cup Final and all this done with an inept manager apparantly. <cr>

Couldn't be done with an inept manager but at the same time it doesn't indicate that the manager is particularly gifted either.

Walter is right to get behind his team, this is something that will maybe make the players actually want to play well for him if nothing else. Well said Walter.

I understand that Hately and Gough were trying to make a point but the fact is things were much different then than they are now, they are right to have an opinion but what good does slating the team they played for and loved do?

Davis shared his manager’s recent exasperation towards derogatory comments made about Rangers’ performances by former players such as Mark Hateley and Richard Gough. “Our form has been inconsistent this season so maybe we have been open to criticism 
from former players,” he said. 
“But the ex-players have been in the same situation themselves in the past. They know what it’s like to play for a club like Rangers and the demands. So you can take it with 
a little bit of a pinch of salt.”

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/ra...s-hope-1.990938

Davis shared his manager’s recent exasperation towards derogatory comments made about Rangers’ performances by former players such as Mark Hateley and Richard Gough. “Our form has been inconsistent this season so maybe we have been open to criticism 
“But the ex-players have been in the same situation themselves in the past. They know what it’s like to play for a club like Rangers and the demands. So you can take it with 

Boab, Davis should remember that Gough has got 9 league winners medals in a row.

Boab, Davis should remember that Gough has got 9 league winners medals in a row.

True though the Goalie said on Saturday night that we should be all be grateful of Walter for the cups, coming back, Manchester and the league won last year Minstral.

I think ex-players have every right to voice their concerns in a constructive manner. Mouths being kept shut has led to us being on our knees.

That said, my recollection of the 90s with Smith and these players is this - great domestic success but regular European humiliations, lack of professionalism in training and diet and an over reliance on a couple of top drawer players. Gough et al may have been better than the current crop but that just makes their showings in Europe all the more disgraceful.

1 SPL Title, 2 Scottish Cups, 1 League Cup, 1 UEFA Cup Final and all this done with an inept manager apparantly. <cr>

Couldn't be done with an inept manager but at the same time it doesn't indicate that the manager is particularly gifted either.

Really...why have "better" managers failed where he didn't.....

True though the Goalie said on Saturday night that we should be all be grateful of Walter for the cups, coming back, Manchester and the league won last year Minstral.

Yes it was great to win the title again, plus the cups and Manchester, but in my opinion it was torture to watch apart from the last day, when we were forced to attack to win the game. Plus it was great to enjoy a game again instead of falling asleep with watching boring football.

Really...why have "better" managers failed where he didn't.....

I don't think Smith is inept, he has many good qualities. Given the money he's spent since his return I think what he's delivered is the least we could expect.

The league is the only show in town domestically. Since his return he's had two full seasons, one won and lost one.

UEFA Cup Final? Great day out but the way the team was set out and the fact we lost makes it meaningless for me. Being a runner-up is not and never will be the measure of success for Rangers.

UEFA Cup Final? Great day out but the way the team was set out and the fact we lost makes it meaningless for me. Being a runner-up is not and never will be the measure of success for Rangers.

(tu)

Whether it's meaningless to you or not is of no real interest, it's an achievement that no other rangers manager had managed in the 36 years that preceded that day. It was also against teams that had better squads than us form almost the first game in the UEFA cup.

The season Smith lost the league the SPL cheated us out of it, he had his mitigation.

I agree with the last three posts oddly enough, even though they are all in argument :lol:

1 - Getting to the UEFA Cup Final was an amazing achievement.

2 - The Final itself was a fucking horrific performance.

3 - In no way did we 'lose' the SPL title that year, we were totally cheated out of it.

3 - In no way did we 'lose' the SPL title that year, we were totally cheated out of it.

And our Watty could have used the squad better too, Gow Buffel etc and a lack of Novo at times.

And our Watty could have used the squad better too, Gow Buffel etc and a lack of Novo at times.

He could have, but we were still cheated out of it.

We were the best side that year full stop.

You know i never take a mark from the midden Papa but i was reading a sellck MB and theyhad a poll reviewing the last ten years and by an overwhelming majority , on what has been there best decade since the 60's, the biggest achievment was rated as getting to a UEFA cup final. I don't understand a rangers fan who watched that run and doesn't rate it as an achievment.

Buffel and gow weren't winning us any leagues ffs..... :lol:

We were cheated out of by the SPL and a sellck board who spat on the grave of a dead footballer and made up tours to japan they were so desperate to beat us

You know i never take a mark from the midden Papa but i was reading a selck MB and theyhad a poll reviewing the last ten years and by an overwhelming majority , on what has been there best decade since the 60's, the biggest achievment was rated as getting to a UEFA cup final. I don't understand a rangers fan who watched that run and doesn't rate it as an achievment.

I'd agree, looking back now.

If you can in your mind separate the 'UEFA run' from the 'UEFA final', then I think you're on the right road.

Look at the teams we beat as well. On any given season, that could have been a run to the Champions League final with the quality we came up against.

I agree with the last three posts oddly enough, even though they are all in argument :lol:

1 - Getting to the UEFA Cup Final was an amazing achievement.

2 - The Final itself was a fucking horrific performance.

Papa we were cheated, but to drop 15 points out of our last 9 league games was shocking.

Whether it's meaningless to you or not is of no real interest, it's an achievement that no other rangers manager had managed in the 36 years that preceded that day. It was also against teams that had better squads than us form almost the first game in the UEFA cup.

The season Smith lost the league the SPL cheated us out of it, he had his mitigation.

The UEFA Cup final is meaningless. I only ever hear talk of the Cup winners cup win, no-one ever eulogises the other failed finals. You know why? Because we're not losers.

"It was also against teams that had better squads than us form almost the first game in the UEFA cup."

Smith has a better squad than everyone other than the mhanks yet he is faltering badly. He has also massively outspent everyone other than them. It's not like he's achieving this success by spending no money and having players on an average wage of less than £5K per week like the other clubs.

As for being cheated out of the league that season? Yes there was a deluge of games but we simply weren't good enough. We blew a good lead, we drew cup games resulting in replays we bottled it twice at Porkheid.