Mendes: We all want Boydy to stay with us.

Boab

Crocked Rangers star Pedro Mendes has watched in awe as Kris Boyd has edged ever closer to Henrik Larsson's SPL goalscoring record.

The Ibrox striker is now just five strikes behind the super Swede's tally of 158 and will have a chance to reduce the gap when Motherwell visit Govan on Saturday.

Portuguese team-mate Mendes admits he wouldn't be surprised if Boyd was level with Larsson before the New Year clash with Celtic on January 3 - meaning he'd need five goals in two games against Jim Gannon's side and Hibs on December 27.

The midfielder, due back from injury in a month, believes Boyd's scoring record makes it imperative the club get him signed up on a new long-term deal.

Boyd's current contract expires at the end of the season and he has already been linked with moves to Birmingham, Hull and Newcastle.

But Mendes is desperate for the front man to lead Walter Smith's men to glory this year and beyond.

He told Rangers News: "I'm sure Kris will be fuming he didn't get a hat-trick against St Johnstone at the weekend. But maybe he'll get three against Motherwell. I think the record is something he's looking forward to and now it's very much achievable.

"There's no doubt he'll do it eventually. He might even get there before the New Year.

"I think it's a great move from the club to open talks with him about signing a new contract because he definitely wants to stay here - everyone knows that.

"I hope it's just a matter of talks because as player and team-mate, I'm like the fans, we all want Boydy to stay with us."

Nice to see the players' backing him. The Club should gives us a Christmsa present by giving him a contract :scot:

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/...86908-21903516/

Thing is Boyd, on current form, is no longer a passenger when he doesn't score, he now has strength, he seems also to have a short burst of pace now as well, fuck knows where that has come from. A new contract is a must!