All But Confirmed

MartinGers93

Sat 02 Jan 2010

Wilson Set For Derby Debut

by Lindsay Herron

DANNY WILSON is in line for an Old Firm baptism of fire at Parkhead tomorrow but manager Walter Smith insists the teenager can handle it.

Wilson, who has just turned 18, is poised to play beside Davie Weir at the heart of the Rangers defence following the departure of Madjid Bougherra on African Cup of Nations duty.

Smith has yet to confirm if Wilson will start, but the talented young defender indicated in a six-game run just over a month ago, that included two Champions League matches, that he has what it takes to cope with a Glasgow derby.

Lee McCulloch could move back from midfield while Kirk Broadfoot could move in from full back but either switch would mean further disruptions to a squad already stretched.

Smith said: "Wilson has played well when he has come in so that would be an obvious one.

"Young players have to overcome an element of nerves. What you look at is how they can handle the big occasion and it is a big test for any player to go and play in an Old Firm game.

"It is part and parcel of playing for Rangers to see how someone will handle that. But Danny has been fast to handle things and hopefully that will continue."

Smith is still angry over the loss of Kenny Miller after Willie Collum refused to change his mind on a red card issues in Wednesday's 7-1 destruction of Dundee United.

Nacho Novo has been struggling with a bug, which has also affected Sasa Papac, so the team line-up may not be formulated until the last minute.

With Pedro Mendes, Kevin Thomson and DaMarcus Beasley all ruled out and Stevie Naismith unlikely, Smith's options are limited going to a venue which he considers one of the toughest in European football.

Of course, Rangers head to Parkhead seven points clear and on the back of six wins where 26 goals were scored but the Rangers manager is not about to start counting any chickens.

He said: "There are an awful lot of assessments made about how teams are playing."Rangers have been scoring more goals than in the early part of the season - we will hopefully continue - but people also talk about Celtic having a weakness here and there. But I don't think they have lost a home league game for a while, have they?

"It is always extremely difficult to go and get a win there, at any stage. I never think about it as anything else. People make assessments of the teams beforehand and the number of times they are proved wrong is incredible.

"The Old Firm game brings out something different in players all the time. I always know that Celtic Park is as difficult a place as we can go. For me, it is one of the hardest grounds to go to and that includes the European venues we visit.

"I don't think any assessments people make before the games have any relevance to the manner in which the games are played. We have been doing quite well recently but we will get the full test going to Celtic Park."

He's 2 years older than me, I would be absolutely shiting myself.

No doubt he'll handle it though. Remembering on another thread that someone said Pogrebnyak was complimenting him something great after the Stuttgart game? Pogrebnyak is ten times the player of Samararse, McDonalds or Fortune.

Bring them on.

If Wilson can handle the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE he should have no bother with this mob.

(tu):praise:

Whats to say he can? Played against a diddy Romanian team and lost 4 goals v Stutgart

If Wilson can handle the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE he should have no bother with this mob.

Whats to say he can? Played against a diddy Romanian team and lost 4 goals v Stutgart

2 goals to stuttgart :dry: i see your point but (tu)

2 goals to stuttgart :dry: i see your point but (tu)

oh fuck so it was :lol: Thought we lost every game 4-1 for some reason.

Sat 02 Jan 2010

Wilson Set For Derby Debut

by Lindsay Herron

DANNY WILSON is in line for an Old Firm baptism of fire at Parkhead tomorrow but manager Walter Smith insists the teenager can handle it.

Wilson, who has just turned 18, is poised to play beside Davie Weir at the heart of the Rangers defence following the departure of Madjid Bougherra on African Cup of Nations duty.

Smith has yet to confirm if Wilson will start, but the talented young defender indicated in a six-game run just over a month ago, that included two Champions League matches, that he has what it takes to cope with a Glasgow derby.

Lee McCulloch could move back from midfield while Kirk Broadfoot could move in from full back but either switch would mean further disruptions to a squad already stretched.

Smith said: "Wilson has played well when he has come in so that would be an obvious one.

"Young players have to overcome an element of nerves. What you look at is how they can handle the big occasion and it is a big test for any player to go and play in an Old Firm game.

"It is part and parcel of playing for Rangers to see how someone will handle that. But Danny has been fast to handle things and hopefully that will continue."

Smith is still angry over the loss of Kenny Miller after Willie Collum refused to change his mind on a red card issues in Wednesday's 7-1 destruction of Dundee United.

Nacho Novo has been struggling with a bug, which has also affected Sasa Papac, so the team line-up may not be formulated until the last minute.

With Pedro Mendes, Kevin Thomson and DaMarcus Beasley all ruled out and Stevie Naismith unlikely, Smith's options are limited going to a venue which he considers one of the toughest in European football.

Of course, Rangers head to Parkhead seven points clear and on the back of six wins where 26 goals were scored but the Rangers manager is not about to start counting any chickens.

He said: "There are an awful lot of assessments made about how teams are playing."Rangers have been scoring more goals than in the early part of the season - we will hopefully continue - but people also talk about Celtic having a weakness here and there. But I don't think they have lost a home league game for a while, have they?

"It is always extremely difficult to go and get a win there, at any stage. I never think about it as anything else. People make assessments of the teams beforehand and the number of times they are proved wrong is incredible.

"The Old Firm game brings out something different in players all the time. I always know that Celtic Park is as difficult a place as we can go. For me, it is one of the hardest grounds to go to and that includes the European venues we visit.

"I don't think any assessments people make before the games have any relevance to the manner in which the games are played. We have been doing quite well recently but we will get the full test going to Celtic Park."

asked the same question in another way.wilson is man enough to cope.is watty man enough to use him.lets hope so as the alternatives are scary

wilson had a stinker v aberdeen

but then so did everyone

its the tricks n cheats from mcdonald and smarmyass im concerned about

the wee barra will have to be wise and on his toes

no doubt we will have to do a bit of defending

i have a good feeling about him though

looks some player