Alfie Conn

numansnewman

why ?

I remember hundreds of full throated renditions of, 'Alfie's a barrel ....... Alfie's a barrel of sh1te'.

I prefer to remember the events of January 2nd 1973, last minute of New Year's old firm encounter at Ibrox, Tommy McLean sent over a high swirling cross, ra Sellik keeper, Evan Williams(?) misjudged and Alfie sneaked in at the back stick to nod the winner, Ibrox erupts. For months we sang, 'who put the ball in the Sellik net' and Alfie replicated the feat 4 months later in the Scottish Cup final, outrunning Billy McBungle to slide the ball in just after half time. We won 3-2.

why ?

I remember hundreds of full throated renditions of, 'Alfie's a barrel ....... Alfie's a barrel of sh1te'.

I prefer to remember the events of January 2nd 1973, last minute of New Year's old firm encounter at Ibrox, Tommy McLean sent over a high swirling cross, ra Sellik keeper, Evan Williams(?) misjudged and Alfie sneaked in at the back stick to nod the winner, Ibrox erupts. For months we sang, 'who put the ball in the Sellik net' and Alfie replicated the feat 4 months later in the Scottish Cup final, outrunning Billy McBungle to slide the ball in just after half time. We won 3-2.

cov,but he was a corss over in less tolerant days.

i remember my bus hating him,i remember my bus detesting the signing of MoJo,i remember my bus looking at at Ammo as captain..GATTOSSO CAME, AMATO CAME,MILLER CAME BACK,THEY ALL WENT MENTAL AGAIN.why Miller ?

Mendes is the one who does not belong..he can go

Alfie did get grief from fans and the club for a long time. Rangers wouldn't give him tickets for games and was shunned a few times regarding the 'Cup Winners Cup' Winners team because he played for Celtic.

Alfie's a good guy and a Rangers man through and through.

He played for Celtic because he had a family to feed and they were the only team to take a chance on him......i'd do the same in his position!

Alfie did get grief from fans and the club for a long time. Rangers wouldn't give him tickets for games and was shunned a few times regarding the 'Cup Winners Cup' Winners team because he played for Celtic.

He played for Celtic because he had a family to feed and they were the only team to take a chance on him......i'd do the same in his position!

Chambo,was he the 1st crossover ?

Chambo,was he the 1st crossover ?

First major one yes. I think there may have been reserve players years before but Alfie is regarded as the first!

why ?

Its funny how sometimes I read things here that people mention and memories come flooding back!

"Alfies a barrel..."...... totally forgot about it!

Agree 100% (tu)

Alfie served behind the bar in Loudens and (i think - never saw him in there personally) in a pub in Gt Western Rd (close to St Georges Cross) and he did take flack but he took it on the chin and as you say - he put his family first and that's the difference between 'them' and us, we'll always put family first and Rangers 2nd whereas 'they' put their club first!

The measure of a Bigot is how long it takes them to get over such things - we've got over Alfie doing the dirty whereas Mo Johnston doesn't even feel safe returning... Hopefully Neil McCann is getting less flack but I think he's taken the right path to not walk away into the horizon!

I've always said this is the one issue that REALLY puts Sectarianism into perspective - can you imagine Mo Jo working behind the bar at Bairds??? FFS even me standing their pointing to the RFC crest on my shirt almost starts a riot!!! :lol:

We have our Bigots but when it comes to real Sectarianism they've got us licked!!!

Alfie was not the only one, up until we played Moscow Dynamo in 2002(?) the whole 72 squad were treated very poorly by Rangers. An attitude that seemed to come from the very top. There has been a marked improvement ever since though, and rightly so.

Agree that Alfie is a top bloke as well. Regarded by many as not being a Rangers man because of his move back then, but spend a bit of time in his company and there are no doubts. Always very obliging for fundraising and signing gear etc too, as you would expect.

The less tolerant amongst us will not agree though, even if they do not know him.

Agree 100% (tu)

Alfie served behind the bar in Loudens and (i think - never saw him in there personally) in a pub in Gt Western Rd (close to St Georges Cross) and he did take flack but he took it on the chin and as you say - he put his family first and that's the difference between 'them' and us, we'll always put family first and Rangers 2nd whereas 'they' put their club first!

The measure of a Bigot is how long it takes them to get over such things - we've got over Alfie doing the dirty whereas Mo Johnston doesn't even feel safe returning... Hopefully Neil McCann is getting less flack but I think he's taken the right path to not walk away into the horizon!

I've always said this is the one issue that REALLY puts Sectarianism into perspective - can you imagine Mo Jo working behind the bar at Bairds??? FFS even me standing their pointing to the RFC crest on my shirt almost starts a riot!!! :lol:

We have our Bigots but when it comes to real Sectarianism they've got us licked!!!

The Captains Rest.

He used to run it and his wife did the meals.

Used to be good mates with his boy and we went there before the games.

Nice guy Alfie!

Agree 100% (tu)

The Captains Rest.

Nice guy Alfie!

his dad played for hearts..i may be wrong

Agree 100% (tu)

The Captains Rest.

Nice guy Alfie!

Correct.

He was one of the 'Terrible Trio'.

Alfie Conn, Willie Bauld and Jimmy Wardhaugh

Agree 100% (tu)

The Captains Rest.

Nice guy Alfie!

Correct.

He was one of the 'Terrible Trio'.

Alfie Conn, Willie Bauld and Jimmy Wardhaugh

the other 2 i dont remember..was he a forward ?

Agree 100% (tu)

The Captains Rest.

Nice guy Alfie!

That's the one - seems to be full of Tims these days went in there a year ago for a quick pint before jumping on the subway for the game and got some looks as if to say I was in the wrong bar, didn't stop me from downing my pint though.

Round the corner from St Georges Rd - now there used to be a great wee Secondry School there I went to... aaah

Didn't that wee cunt Brogan (Tim) own the Quarter Gill across the road?

Agree 100% (tu)

The Captains Rest.

Nice guy Alfie!

That's the one - seems to be full of Tims these days went in there a year ago for a quick pint before jumping on the subway for the game and got some looks as if to say I was in the wrong bar, didn't stop me from downing my pint though.

Round the corner from St Georges Rd - now there used to be a great wee Secondry School there I went to... aaah

Didn't that wee cunt Brogan (Tim) own the Quarter Gill across the road?

I don't really know the boozers around there. Only the Captains Rest because I used to go there.

Aye Alfie was minehost in the Captains Rest. Incidentally, directly behind that pub on Gt Western Rd is Burnbank fields where Rangers played in the mid 1870's(all built up now of course)

One other thing, when they rolled out all the old players to celebrtae 100 years at IBrox in 1999 he got booed stupid.

Also, the crap about Alfie needing to join Sceptic is bullshit, he was on a nice earner at Spurs but he was out the team. I think it is safe to assume he joined the vermin for less money mmmmmmmmm!

The mention of the "Alfie's a barrel" made me think that I remember singing it at Hampden.

Did he play AGAINST us in a cup final???

yes he did if i remember correctly "alfies a barrel" forgot about that excellent proddie ditty!