Boston Globe attacks Rangers fans

So,the Boston Globe has chosen to trash and besmirch the reputation of Rangers FC in an article of stunning bias and prejudice.

But should we really be surprised at a Boston newspaper slandering a Scottish team with a Protestant background who field black American players..?

Especially, when Rangers Old Firm rivals Celtic are from an Irish, Catholic background whose supporters sing songs in favour of Irish Republicanism and terrorism...?

Remember, Boston is Irish: People of Irish descent form the largest single ethnic group in the city.

Remember, Boston supports terrorism: IRA fund raising has always been conducted openly.

Remember Boston is racist: google "racist Boston" and you'll find all kinds of snippets..

- The Boston Red Sox were the last major league baseball team to integrate their roster. Larry Lucchino, president and CEO of the Red Sox, acknowledges the club's history has included "an undeniable legacy of racial intolerance."

- It's been almost 30 years since buses of black students were pelted with rocks and tomatoes in South Boston...

- More than a decade has lapsed since Charles Stuart shot his wife in Mission Hill and sparked a veritable witch hunt for a black killer who never existed...

- Boston-area racist police officer Justin Barrett wrote an email to a reporter repeatedly calling Henry Louis Gates a "banana eating jungle monkey"...

Now is it a co-incidence that a Boston newspaper is making an unprovoked attack on a Scottish club who play two black American players - Beasley and Edu..?

I don't think so.

With the reputation that Boston already has for racism it would seem that this is more than co-incidence.

Rangers are British, Protestant, field black American players and are opposed to Terrorism - no wonder the Boston Globe has besmirched and villified us...!

It says more about them than it does about us.

:wink:

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the Rangers Official website , Martin Bain is speaking up for us all and our Great Clubs Good name , well done Mr Bain , enough is enough we as fans and a club need to start speaking up for ourselves to stop our and our club name being dragged through the gutter by the gutter press , they should not be allowed to get away with it any longer

Sorry if this has been posted already

By Mark Stokes

Mark Stokes is a longtime observer of international soccer who provides occasional commentary and analysis for the Corner Kicks blog.

In reference to the article entitled 'Celtic-Rangers game should be held at Gillette, not Fenway' of April 28, I wish to convey my most sincere apologies for any distress caused to fans of Glagsow Rangers or Glasgow Celtic, or others, many of whom have written to comment.

In reference to the Ibrox disaster of 1971, it is my belief that no one was responsible for this awful tragedy. It was, and remains, a terrible tragedy and its victims will be in my thoughts and prayers henceforth.

It was my intention through this article to convey to the people of Boston the passions of the respective fans, and for balanced reporting purposes, I had intended taking comments from Rangers fans in a subsequent article.

I remain hopeful that the Old Firm will play in the Boston area this summer so the citizens of Boston can experience the atmosphere which is unique to this fixture.

Editor's note: The article referenced here has been removed because of concerns about the content.

Sorry if this has been posted already

By Mark Stokes

Mark Stokes is a longtime observer of international soccer who provides occasional commentary and analysis for the Corner Kicks blog.

In reference to the article entitled 'Celtic-Rangers game should be held at Gillette, not Fenway' of April 28, I wish to convey my most sincere apologies for any distress caused to fans of Glagsow Rangers or Glasgow Celtic, or others, many of whom have written to comment.

In reference to the Ibrox disaster of 1971, it is my belief that no one was responsible for this awful tragedy. It was, and remains, a terrible tragedy and its victims will be in my thoughts and prayers henceforth.

It was my intention through this article to convey to the people of Boston the passions of the respective fans, and for balanced reporting purposes, I had intended taking comments from Rangers fans in a subsequent article.

I remain hopeful that the Old Firm will play in the Boston area this summer so the citizens of Boston can experience the atmosphere which is unique to this fixture.

Editor's note: The article referenced here has been removed because of concerns about the content.

About bloody time....

So,the Boston Globe has chosen to trash and besmirch the reputation of Rangers FC in an article of stunning bias and prejudice.

But should we really be surprised at a Boston newspaper slandering a Scottish team with a Protestant background who field black American players..?

Especially, when Rangers Old Firm rivals Celtic are from an Irish, Catholic background whose supporters sing songs in favour of Irish Republicanism and terrorism...?

Remember, Boston is Irish: People of Irish descent form the largest single ethnic group in the city.

Remember, Boston supports terrorism: IRA fund raising has always been conducted openly.

Remember Boston is racist: google "racist Boston" and you'll find all kinds of snippets..

- The Boston Red Sox were the last major league baseball team to integrate their roster. Larry Lucchino, president and CEO of the Red Sox, acknowledges the club's history has included "an undeniable legacy of racial intolerance."

- It's been almost 30 years since buses of black students were pelted with rocks and tomatoes in South Boston...

- More than a decade has lapsed since Charles Stuart shot his wife in Mission Hill and sparked a veritable witch hunt for a black killer who never existed...

- Boston-area racist police officer Justin Barrett wrote an email to a reporter repeatedly calling Henry Louis Gates a "banana eating jungle monkey"...

Now is it a co-incidence that a Boston newspaper is making an unprovoked attack on a Scottish club who play two black American players - Beasley and Edu..?

I don't think so.

With the reputation that Boston already has for racism it would seem that this is more than co-incidence.

Rangers are British, Protestant, field black American players and are opposed to Terrorism - no wonder the Boston Globe has besmirched and villified us...!

boogie.png

First and foremost what the hell has this got to do with an old firm game, no wonder folks get the wrong idea about us. This is almost a misleading as the globe blog just a few random items designed to show a one-sided argument. This is exactly the basis of this complaint against this uneducated blogger but you are making the same type of misguided comments. Some of the stuff I have seen printed in this thread is ridiculous. Yes a portion (15.8%) of the population are Irish descent a if you go into an Irish pub you will see Irish memorabilia and a lot will have been involved with IRA fund raising. It's just unfair to the other folks in Boston who don't give a damn as they are from other ethnic origins. The article pissed the hell out of me but we are better than that, so at least discuss it in a reasonable manner. I watched the Ibrox disaster on TV when it was taking place and we should be respecting their memories and taking the focus away form the disrespect shown to them and their families.

Haven't read the whole thread but what really got my blood fuckin' boiling was a comment in the Sun article "Celtic, by comparison can be charged with, well, not much at all. If their archrivals have dragged the name of Glasgow through the mud, it must be said that Celtic fans have done their best to restore the good name."

Fuck Boston and fuck this shitey pre-season friendly.

I don't think so.

OK, this is jumping to all sorts of wild conclusions about the Boston Globe.

Let me fill you in on something here. The Boston Globe, by and large, hates the heritage of Boston, specifically the Irish Catholic community. This stems from a lot of things. Explicitly, it's due to the paper strongly crusading for laws to force the church to conduct and honor homosexual marriage. Implicitly, it's because they mainly hire people who didn't grow up in the area but went to school there (Boston's a huge college town). Those people have no roots and often want to erase the very stigma you described. So, it's the complete opposite.

However, they will side with the Irish community when it comes to granting amnesty to everyone who came here illegally. Anything that bashes the United States or anyone else they perceive as being evil empirical powers (i.e. Britain), they will also run.

That being said, that soccer writer had space to write whatever he wanted unedited on the glob's site. What he wrote was in no way, shape, or form what the paper itself thinks and I doubt he received money from them to write it. It's part of their new strategy to make money off of online advertising. It's money they desperately need as it has been in danger of going out of business for a few years now. You see, they are "one of the most respected newspapers" because they live off of it's old reputation. From Watergate to the early 90's every mainstream paper in America was center-left. With the rise of right wing media, nearly every one of them chose to firmly ally itself with the left wing. That alienated half their audience and now the old media standards are hapless shills for the cause du jour.

So, feel free to bash the Globe, but just know where it actually stands.

I don't think so.

boogie.png

First and foremost what the hell has this got to do with an old firm game, no wonder folks get the wrong idea about us. This is almost a misleading as the globe blog just a few random items designed to show a one-sided argument. This is exactly the basis of this complaint against this uneducated blogger but you are making the same type of misguided comments. Some of the stuff I have seen printed in this thread is ridiculous. Yes a portion (15.8%) of the population are Irish descent a if you go into an Irish pub you will see Irish memorabilia and a lot will have been involved with IRA fund raising. It's just unfair to the other folks in Boston who don't give a damn as they are from other ethnic origins. The article pissed the hell out of me but we are better than that, so at least discuss it in a reasonable manner. I watched the Ibrox disaster on TV when it was taking place and we should be respecting their memories and taking the focus away form the disrespect shown to them and their families.

It was a tongue in cheek retaliatory post that was meant to be as "misleading" as their article.

It was half wind-up and half retaliation. I thought that was obvious but clearly not.

I don't think so.

OK, this is jumping to all sorts of wild conclusions about the Boston Globe.

Let me fill you in on something here. The Boston Globe, by and large, hates the heritage of Boston, specifically the Irish Catholic community. This stems from a lot of things. Explicitly, it's due to the paper strongly crusading for laws to force the church to conduct and honor homosexual marriage. Implicitly, it's because they mainly hire people who didn't grow up in the area but went to school there (Boston's a huge college town). Those people have no roots and often want to erase the very stigma you described. So, it's the complete opposite.

However, they will side with the Irish community when it comes to granting amnesty to everyone who came here illegally. Anything that bashes the United States or anyone else they perceive as being evil empirical powers (i.e. Britain), they will also run.

That being said, that soccer writer had space to write whatever he wanted unedited on the glob's site. What he wrote was in no way, shape, or form what the paper itself thinks and I doubt he received money from them to write it. It's part of their new strategy to make money off of online advertising. It's money they desperately need as it has been in danger of going out of business for a few years now. You see, they are "one of the most respected newspapers" because they live off of it's old reputation. From Watergate to the early 90's every mainstream paper in America was center-left. With the rise of right wing media, nearly every one of them chose to firmly ally itself with the left wing. That alienated half their audience and now the old media standards are hapless shills for the cause du jour.

So, feel free to bash the Globe, but just know where it actually stands.

Sorry mate but that was just boring.

I don't care who they are but I do care how they write about our club.

That's all.

Americans by and large haven't the slightest idea what the fuck is going on outside of their own back yards. Ill informed pish which the local simpletons from the "Old Country" will lap up and accept as truth. Let's face it, most of them accept Oliver Stone's "JFK" as a true representation of events ffs. The sad thing is that the guy who wrote it probably didn't do it to stir things up but because he actually does believe it. Poor excuse for a journalist.

Americans by and large haven't the slightest idea what the fuck is going on outside of their own back yards. Ill informed pish which the local simpletons from the "Old Country" will lap up and accept as truth. Let's face it, most of them accept Oliver Stone's "JFK" as a true representation of events ffs. The sad thing is that the guy who wrote it probably didn't do it to stir things up but because he actually does believe it. Poor excuse for a journalist.

It's not?!?!?

That's all.

I'm not supposed to care you threw wild, ignorant accusations that everyone here is a racist and that's the reason behind the article?

I was just showing you have no fucking clue who the hell you were attacking, and that the people you were attacking weren't responsible.

It's not?!?!?

Sorry to generalise mate, but it's been my experience of any Americans I've met that they have little concept of anything other than themselves.

It's not?!?!?

Gotta laugh at the ignorance of the statements professing American ignorance. :lol:

I don't think so.

boogie.png

Surely we can't afford any more bad publicity. If guys like this keep stoking it up between now and the game in a place with F*nian sympathies then there is every chance that something will kick off and you can be sure that we will get the blame

That's all.

I'm not supposed to care you threw wild, ignorant accusations that everyone here is a racist and that's the reason behind the article?

I was just showing you have no fucking clue who the hell you were attacking, and that the people you were attacking weren't responsible.

Yawn.

I was attacking the Boston Globe for their biased article against Rangers.

They were first to throw wild, ignorant accusations around - about Rangers - and they obviously didn't have a clue who they were attacking - so I retaliated in the same manner - but with tongue in cheek etc.

Anyway, zzzzzzzz......

I see Celtic have been getting some negative press from a Seattle newspaper after they announced a friendly with them.

Has a picture of that guy at Ibrox with an IRA flag with the caption, "coming to a stadium near you?" :craphead:

It's not?!?!?

Gotta laugh at the ignorance of the statements professing American ignorance. :lol:

Gotta laugh at Americans slagging our club then getting upset when we slag 'em back.

:rolleyes:

It's not?!?!?

Laugh away, I'm not going to apologise for posting my thoughts based on experience of the Americans I've met. Do you think I'm alone in holding this view?