Police say no to Neville's testimonial.

Manchester United have abandoned plans to invite Rangers to be the opposition for Gary Neville's testimonial match because of objections from the police and council officials about supporters of the Glasgow club returning to the city where they rioted two years ago.

Neville's representatives had asked United to approach Rangers because the presence of the Scottish champions would virtually guarantee a sellout crowd at Old Trafford. United then made what are described as "unofficial soundings" with the relevant authorities and were told in no uncertain terms that Rangers were probably the least desirable opponents.

The police, in particular, were alarmed about the prospect of tens of thousands of Glaswegians flooding into Manchester, citing the running battles that turned the city centre into a battleground on the night of the 2008 Uefa Cup final.

An estimated 150,000 Rangers travelled for the game against Zenit St Petersburg and trouble flared when a giant screen failed in the largest fan zone. Rioting fans went on the rampage for five hours, causing hundreds of thousands of pounds' worth of damage and injuring one policeman so badly he needed six months off work. One Zenit fan was stabbed as the Russian team won 2-0. The prime minister, Gordon Brown, branded the fans "a disgrace" and the first minister of Scotland, Alex Salmond, said the violence was "shocking and unacceptable".

Two years on, there is still enough bad feeling in Manchester for the police to have concerns that there could be reprisal attacks if Rangers were to play again in the city and that it could be a magnet for football hooligans from different clubs. The bigger concern, however, was the prospect of another mass invasion of Rangers fans and United were informed that, for such a match to take place, it would require a huge policing operation. United also sounded out Manchester city council as well as the security firm that supplies the club's match-day stewards and concluded that, aside from the risk of trouble, the costs of organising the match would take up too great a percentage of the ticket profits.

The club are looking at other possible opponents but Celtic have informed them they cannot fit the match into their schedule. United wait to see whether they are involved in the Community Shield before finalising a date to honour Neville, their 35-year-old defender.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...-gary-neville?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manchester United have abandoned plans to invite Rangers to be the opposition for Gary Neville's testimonial match because of objections from the police and council officials about supporters of the Glasgow club returning to the city where they rioted two years ago.

Neville's representatives had asked United to approach Rangers because the presence of the Scottish champions would virtually guarantee a sellout crowd at Old Trafford. United then made what are described as "unofficial soundings" with the relevant authorities and were told in no uncertain terms that Rangers were probably the least desirable opponents.

The police, in particular, were alarmed about the prospect of tens of thousands of Glaswegians flooding into Manchester, citing the running battles that turned the city centre into a battleground on the night of the 2008 Uefa Cup final.

An estimated 150,000 Rangers travelled for the game against Zenit St Petersburg and trouble flared when a giant screen failed in the largest fan zone. Rioting fans went on the rampage for five hours, causing hundreds of thousands of pounds' worth of damage and injuring one policeman so badly he needed six months off work. One Zenit fan was stabbed as the Russian team won 2-0. The prime minister, Gordon Brown, branded the fans "a disgrace" and the first minister of Scotland, Alex Salmond, said the violence was "shocking and unacceptable".

Two years on, there is still enough bad feeling in Manchester for the police to have concerns that there could be reprisal attacks if Rangers were to play again in the city and that it could be a magnet for football hooligans from different clubs. The bigger concern, however, was the prospect of another mass invasion of Rangers fans and United were informed that, for such a match to take place, it would require a huge policing operation. United also sounded out Manchester city council as well as the security firm that supplies the club's match-day stewards and concluded that, aside from the risk of trouble, the costs of organising the match would take up too great a percentage of the ticket profits.

The club are looking at other possible opponents but Celtic have informed them they cannot fit the match into their schedule. United wait to see whether they are involved in the Community Shield before finalising a date to honour Neville, their 35-year-old defender.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...-gary-neville?

doh doh doh

Best line in the whole article :lol:

Why would we want to help raise money for someone who's Dad is named Neville Neville anyway,that's enough to start a riot.

it was his choice and he wanted to play us. don't know if you noticed tin this article,timmy sneaked in somewhere and said we can't fit this game in to our schedule. eh no cunt asked them to.

Why would we want to help raise money for someone who's Dad is named Neville Neville anyway,that's enough to start a riot.

it was his choice and he wanted to play us. don't know if you noticed tin this article,timmy sneaked in somewhere and said we can't fit this game in to our schedule. eh no cunt asked them to.

The F*nians have a pyoor speshul relationship with them though,it wouldn't surprise me if they were first choice.

The F*nians have a pyoor speshul relationship with them though,it wouldn't surprise me if they were first choice.

the last time neville came to ibrox though he said the atmosphere was one the best etc and the fans are loud as fuck. something like that.

don't think they were 1st choice.

the last time neville came to ibrox though he said the atmosphere was one the best etc and the fans are loud as fuck. something like that.

He said ... "This was the loudest atmosphere that I have known, compared to any English ground away from home.

"There have been certain nights at Old Trafford in European games - the ones against Juventus comes to mind - when the atmosphere was incredible.

"But this was definitely up there with the best. It was fantastic.

"When we came out at the start I was looking around me and I saw people in the directors' box jumping up singing and I was wondering what was happening. It is not usually like that.

"The crowd beating us was never going to happen - but thank goodness they didn't score."

Celtic were never his first choice

OLE SUPER RANGERS - http://www.rangersloyal.co.uk/ibroxstadium.html

Nevilles quote about the Ibrox atmosphere:

Gary Neville (Manchester United)

"This was the loudest atmosphere that I have known, compared to any English ground away from home.

"There have been certain nights at Old Trafford in European games - the ones against Juventus comes to mind - when the atmosphere was incredible.

"When we came out at the start I was looking around me and I saw people in the directors’ box jumping up singing and I was wondering what was happening. It is not usually like that.

"The crowd beating us was never going to happen - but thank goodness they didn’t score."

Yea i was at that match,he has a point and you may be right on that being the reason why we're 1st choice.

Although lets not forget the main thing here,how stupid his Dad's name is,he must have no idea whether he's any good in bed or not

as the misses may just be saying his full name.

He said ... "This was the loudest atmosphere that I have known, compared to any English ground away from home.

"When we came out at the start I was looking around me and I saw people in the directors' box jumping up singing and I was wondering what was happening. It is not usually like that.

"The crowd beating us was never going to happen - but thank goodness they didn't score."

Celtic were never his first choice

(tu) was it not him that scored that night aswell.?

At least we are adored in London by every club fans I have encountered with Millwall,Chelsea,West Ham and Arsenal all them big Rangers fans everyone i have met

it's us against world and it always will be and i wouldn't want it any other way just remember

:uk::21::uk::21::uk:

WE ARE RANGERS, SUPER RANGERS

NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE

WE HATE C*LTIC, F*nian BASTARDS

AND WE'LL CHASE THEM, ANYWHERE

:uk::21::uk::21::uk:

WE ARE THE PEOPLE